Ubisoft: Bring on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 1492

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ubisoft: Bring on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 1492

An Ubisoft executive wants Microsoft and Sony to get off their asses and deliver the next generation of consoles already.

It seems like only yesterday when Microsoft debuted the Xbox 360, but that was actually all the way back in November 2005 with the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii dropping a year later. That means this generation of videogame consoles will enter its seventh year this November with no official plans announced by the manufacturers, marking the longest gap between an advance in console hardware the industry has ever seen. Rob Cooper, the Ubisoft executive in charge of Northern Europe, thinks that gap has gone on way too long and his company is chomping at the bit to work with new consoles.

"There have been tons of technological advances since the last round of consoles was released, and we'd love to see those advances included in new consoles sooner rather than later," Cooper said.

Like any good Boy Scout, Cooper wants Ubisoft to be prepared. "The sooner we have the next generation of consoles to build on, the sooner we can leverage those advances to create the next generation of video games."

Kinect, Move and even Nintendo's rumored new console just don't cut the mustard for him. "The peripherals and the updates to the existing generation have been great, but it's typically new consoles that really spark innovation from publishers and the demand from customers," he said.

What do you think? Has game design become stale from working with the same hardware for too long? I never considered that new technical toys might push design concepts forward, but I don't think better processing is necessarily going to result in better games.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44506/Ubisoft-Next-gen-should-come-sooner-rather-later]

Kinichie

Penguin Overlord
Jun 18, 2008
Sure, let's get the next round of consoles so it can take 4 times as long for a game development. The current generation is fine, we don't need to push forward yet when the current tech isn't being fully optimised.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Yes, what we need is better graphics. Near-photorealism isn't enough for me, I want many more millions of dollars to be poured in the graphics race so the industry becomes so bloated with expensive but graphically advanced shooters that it finally crashes.

Nobody cares about gameplay creativity or artistic expression, all that matters is that the next yearly installement of (the once innovative) Assassin's Creed can come out on a brand new 600$ console.

Apr 28, 2008
No, don't bring them on. Current consoles are just fine, thank you very much.

New consoles means increased costs, for everyone.

DO NOT WANT.

May 25, 2010
2013-2014 would be nice for the next generation. Right now, it would be too soon. By all means plan them and distribute development kits Sony, MS and Nintendo. Just don't launch them yet.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Xbox 1492? The fuck? What does that mean?

Sorry, I'll make a more constructive comment:

Why 1492? Also, why do we need another console... Ever? The 360 and PS3 have hardware out the ass to make things look as absolutely pretty as possible. Plus, they have online services that allow you to download pretty much any game you want off of Xbla and PSN. So... What will the new systems bring? Anything? Anything at all besides newer hardware?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I don't want to see PS4 and others just for the fact that new hardware always means more shovelware launch titles from Ubisoft. The 3DS was more than enough to remind us that they're still doing it. Meanwhile, everyone else is still making fantastic games on the current hardware, so it's obvious that we don't need new platforms right now.

Just go die in a fire, Ubisoft. The game industry doesn't need you.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I feel like we've finally entered the comfort zone of this generation, and this bozo wants new consoles already?

Somehow I think this'll be my last console generation, so I hope it'll stay for atleast a good three years still.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I think its too soon. Whenever someone says "we maxed out the 360/PS3" someone else comes along and builds on what they've done and takes it further. Besides, compare Assassin's Creed Brotherhood to Uncharted 3 and tell me they're getting the most of the current generation. Ubisoft needs a new engine, not a new console.

Fedayk1n

Mar 23, 2009
9_6 said:
What exactly is so urgent that he needs a new console generation?
Some more polygons?
The current generation (except for the wii) is pretty competent in that regard.
Hell have they even fully utilized the ps3 yet?
So far I know, Engine of Final Fantasy, engine of Drake's Fortune, and the Cryengine 3, has pulled out the full potential of the Playstation 3,

And still the current generation consoles, cant deliver the mindblowing scenery that was possible with Crysis on PC, I think that is what they want, Moar Power to make it more Pwetty and Colorfull

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
This just makes me wonder what the rush is. I haven't played many of Ubisoft's newer games but I'm guessing they like to market their games on "shiny graphics!" rather than actual gameplay, that's the only reason I can think of anyway.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
9_6 said:
What exactly is so urgent that he needs a new console generation?
Some more polygons?
The current generation (except for the wii) is pretty competent in that regard.
Developers could do tons of cool things with more than 256MB of system memory.

They won't, mind you, because this is the age of dumbing down and homogenization, but they could!