Leaked Script Unveils Syndicate Reboot Details

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Leaked Script Unveils Syndicate Reboot Details

Cyberpunk fans rejoice! A leaked portion of the script provides plot details of the long-rumored return of RTS series Syndicate.

A portion of the script, posted by gaming site [a href="http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/25/syndicate-script-leak-gives-us-a-first-look-at-eas-cyberpunk-game/"]Siliconera.com[/a], sets up the main character's background, the feud between corporations EuroCorp and Gulf Partner, and an attack on EuroCorp by a hacker named Logos. This is all told through a mix of news anchor segments and flashbacks.

Siliconera didn't indicate who it got the script from or how it got it, and developer Starbreeze Studios and publisher Electronic Arts haven't confirmed if the script is legitimate. Hell, they won't even confirm if this is an actual game in development. Consider all these details tentative, until more information comes out.

The history behind Starbreeze's Syndicate reboot goes back to early 2008, when the developer -- which previously made first-person shooter/franchise tie-ins The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and The Darkness -- made a deal with Electronic Arts to bring back a classic franchise. A year later, Starbreeze was assigned the [a href="http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/519567231/a-triple-confirmation"]copyright[/a] to Syndicate. Around this time, a different, [a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/227171/news/starbreezes-syndicate-script-page-leaks/"]supposed page[/a] of the game's script leaked, detailing a conversation taking place during an action scene.

Earlier this month, [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109881-Project-RedLime-is-Going-to-Be-Huge"]Starbreeze CEO Mikael Nermark said[/a] "Project Redlime," the codename of its current game, is "the biggest project the studio has ever worked on." He also said the title takes place in a non-contemporary setting.

It's not strange that this rumored Syndicate reboot has been in development for so long. It's strange that the developer and publisher have yet to confirm or share details on the game, while pages from the script have leaked twice -- that is if they weren't fabricated by fans. Both times, the developer and publisher didn't comment. It's also strange that we are only getting a page or two.

Could this possibly be the most elaborate viral campaign for a game yet? Or, are we now in an era when script leaks are just another thing that happens, with Modern Warfare 3 being [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110018-Modern-Warfare-3-Blows-Up-Brooklyn-London-and-Mogadishu"]another recent example[/a]?

Source: [a href="http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/25/syndicate-script-leak-gives-us-a-first-look-at-eas-cyberpunk-game/"]Siliconera[/a]

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
*Rejoices*

It's great to see some Cyberpunk games. The genre has been dreadfully absent the last couple of years, and it is a personal favourite.

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
It was about time, I'm just crossing fingers that it won't go the X-Com route as this (and damn near every Bullfrog title from back in the day) is one of my favourite settings/franchises.

[sub]...although I'd settle for a good cyberpunk FPS if they promise not to name it Syndicate.[/sub]

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
In the original did anyone else research the laser weapon, equip everyone, turn on the drugs and watch the whole world explode?

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
rembrandtqeinstein said:
In the original did anyone else research the laser weapon, equip everyone, turn on the drugs and watch the whole world explode?
well, I used gauss guns, but, pretty much the same, yeah :)

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
4 scary men in trench coats murdering people in a drug-fueled orgy of awesome in glorious HD? Sign me up.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
"dear god, if you exist make this good"

so far i liked every game by starbreeze i played and i am optimistic.
And i hope EA knows that making an updated version true to the originals will make more money than giving this the x-com treatment.

although i wouldn't mind a tactical shooter, the syndicate universe seems to be made for a game where you can literally jump into the head of you agents.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Must not... expect... too much... must...

To hell with it. Even if it's failed Syndicate reboot i'd welcome an attempt of game industry returning to cyberpunk setting. That's actually my biggest hope concerning new DeusEx, i doubt it will give me the same thrill as first DEx, but maybe it will show the developers that there is so much more to explore in a genre that seemed to be forgotten for way too long.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
loved syndicate wars on the ps1 WHY WASNT I COLLECTING GAMES THEN I couldve still had it to this day T_T

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Dear Starbreeze.

If you include a version of the original Syndicate (with or without American Revolt) that is XP compatible, I will buy this game no matter what the reviews of the main game are.

Thank you.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Still too little to be sure it's not being xcommed (see what I did there? it was quite clever!) but I'll allow myself to hope.

Keava said:
Must not... expect... too much... must...

To hell with it. Even if it's failed Syndicate reboot i'd welcome an attempt of game industry returning to cyberpunk setting. That's actually my biggest hope concerning new DeusEx, i doubt it will give me the same thrill as first DEx, but maybe it will show the developers that there is so much more to explore in a genre that seemed to be forgotten for way too long.
I love cyberpunk, but the reason it's not so hot any more is that... well, it's reality. Big corporations being more powerful than governments, hackers flying around and stealing data, people from all over the world being brought together by a massive network... that's not even news any more. Gibson's forecast of this future (I think he never gave a date for the Neuromancer trilogy but it's supposed to be a few centuries in the future) was way off, any speculative literature taking place five years from now looks like cyberpunk.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Syndicate had a plot? I thought it was just about getting flamethrowers as quickly as possible, then going on a rampage through streets crowded with civilians.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
Oh, yeah. That was awesome. Every time.

Keava said:
Even if it's failed Syndicate reboot i'd welcome an attempt of game industry returning to cyberpunk setting.
The Random One said:
I love cyberpunk, but the reason it's not so hot any more is that... well, it's reality. Big corporations being more powerful than governments, hackers flying around and stealing data, people from all over the world being brought together by a massive network... that's not even news any more. Gibson's forecast of this future (I think he never gave a date for the Neuromancer trilogy but it's supposed to be a few centuries in the future) was way off, any speculative literature taking place five years from now looks like cyberpunk.
Yeah, twenty years ago I used to be such a huge cyberpunk fan. As far as I was concerned, it was the genre, you couldn't get more interesting than that. But these days... It's just what you see in the news. I've moved on to post-singularity fiction, as well as backwards to fantasy.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
The Random One said:
Have you seen Frozen Synapse [http://www.frozensynapse.com/]? It's heavy cyberpunk flavoured, tactical, turn based strategic combat game, in concept similar to very old programming games. You plan your soldiers movements and actions comparing your ideas with simulations of what they might do, something alike Rainbow Six planning turned into full fledged game.
There also is full multilayer that even has it's twist on Play By Email scheme where you can just play in turns with people without being actually stuck in single game, responding to your opponent's actions when you happen to have time for it.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
thepyrethatburns said:
Dear Starbreeze.

If you include a version of the original Syndicate (with or without American Revolt) that is XP compatible, I will buy this game no matter what the reviews of the main game are.

Thank you.
Grab DosBox. That will run syndicate. I have it on my laptop right now.

Head over here for other old games too.
http://www.abandonia.com/

(I think thats the one, I'm at work and firewalled to hell atm)

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Phishfood said:
thepyrethatburns said:
Dear Starbreeze.

Thank you.
Grab DosBox. That will run syndicate. I have it on my laptop right now.

Head over here for other old games too.
http://www.abandonia.com/

(I think thats the one, I'm at work and firewalled to hell atm)
Thank you for the tip. However I do know about Dosbox. I don't use DosBox because I have a Pentium 120 which runs the upgrade version of Windows 95 (the one where you have to install DOS and Windows 3.0 on before installing the upgrade version) to run old games on but I do know of it and how to use it if that machine ever gives up the ghost.

However, I'd still like to have a version that I don't have to install Dosbox or play on an ancient computer to do so.