Mysterious New Dragon Age Images Hint At Something

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mysterious New Dragon Age Images Hint At Something

BioWare's Mike Laidlaw has revealed a trio of mysterious Dragon Age [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Pc/dp/B0047THYWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306510311&sr=8-2-spell] images and a simple question: "Are those griffins?"

The legendary griffin is a central component of Grey Warden lore. Although now believed to be extinct, the mighty creatures once served as mounts for the Wardens and still feature prominently in Grey Warden heraldry. Which is what makes it interesting that Laidlaw, the lead designer on Dragon Age 2, has tossed three lovely bits of art he "stumbled across" and asked cryptically, "Are those griffins?"
[gallery=261]
That, naturally, leads to more down-to-Earth questions about what exactly BioWare is cooking up. Is new Dragon Age 2 DLC on the way? Are we looking at the first images of wrote [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110229-BioWare-Tweet-Confirms-Dragon-Age-3].

Laidlaw also took the opportunity to assure fans that he is "absolutely aware of the concerns" some of them have about the game and that "there are aspects of Dragon Age 2 that not only can but must be improved in future installments."

"Hawke's story was a departure from the usual tale, and in crafting it and the game around it we learned a lot," he said. "Some from what worked, but even more from what didn't. Such is always the way."

So what are we looking at here? They're pretty but I can't say they're ringing any bells for me. I'm pretty sure those are griffins, though. Opinions?

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
As soon as I read the part in the Dragon Age lore that said griffon's were thought to be "Extinct" I knew that they would eventually bring them back.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I agree, when I heard about them back in DA:O I suspected they will make a return at some point. Well at least that's the predictable thing to happen in an RPG. But yeah, speed griffins - you gotta love them.

Also, is that just a joke I didn't get or are there really griffins hidden somewhere one some of those screenshots? Because I don't see it.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Oh my god, do you know what this means! THIS STORY HAS GRIFFINS IN IT!!!

Personally, I'm hoping for DA2 DLC. There's only been Sebastian's DLC that's actually added any more missions to the game, and with a level cap of 50, we definitely need more content.
Besides that, it's way too early for DA3. If DA2 has revealed anything it's that the next game shouldn't be rushed.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
As most teaser, this is not exactly very exciting. The first one looks kind of cool, though.

mexicola said:
Also, is that just a joke I didn't get or are there really griffins hidden somewhere one some of those screenshots? Because I don't see it.
There are two stone griffins in the third image.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
See those three images?

Those will be the three environment you'll ever see...

Don't fuck this up again, Bioware.

Seriously. I mean it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
plugav said:
And we're to be excited about sculptures? Colour me confused and not really interested.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm really hoping for DA2 DLC. But this has me thinking. Griffons are known to be extinct. But with Hawke and the Warden AWOL and in an unknown location, and the world already about to fully commence a war of magic...could they be resurrected? Some last remaining griffon somewhere, so old it can't fly, alone so it can't reproduce...or just the last cherished remains of an old mount, given new life from the disruption of the veil?

Alternatively, they could really be gone for good, and Hawke just gets to go exploring an old Warden base that was abandoned, and see the relics from ages long past, having a possible run-in with Bethany again, giving more hints as to what the Warden's big secret mission was.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Vrach said:
plugav said:
And we're to be excited about sculptures? Colour me confused and not really interested.
If you understand the lore, it's potentially very exciting. It could be an old Grey Warden fortress that, from the looks of things, is in a lost Dwarven Thaig.

/dragonagefanboy

Anyways, I'm hoping it's DA2 DLC like Awakening. Personally, I loved Dragon Age 2 (no where NEAR as much as the first, though) and considering this:

Andy Chalk said:
Laidlaw also took the opportunity to assure fans that he is "absolutely aware of the concerns" some of them have about the game and that "there are aspects of Dragon Age 2 that not only can but must be improved in future installments."

"Hawke's story was a departure from the usual tale, and in crafting it and the game around it we learned a lot," he said. "Some from what worked, but even more from what didn't. Such is always the way."
I looks like they may have learned their lesson.

I can't help but be excited by this. To me, any Dragon Age is good Dragon Age.

... Except for that shitty Facebook game. Only play that for the items.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I definitely looks better graphically the Dragon Age 2,but I still am not sure. Maybe I'll have more faith in Bio-ware if Mass Effect 3 is good.

(Also I wanna be my mute Warden again, not smelly Hawke)

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Until my warden is back I do not care. Just because hawke had a voice does not mean that he/she is better than the warden.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
Vrach said:
plugav said:
If you understand the lore, it's potentially very exciting. It could be an old Grey Warden fortress that, from the looks of things, is in a lost Dwarven Thaig.

/dragonagefanboy
Yeah, I'm aware of the lore, but how is it any more exciting than anything else? Perhaps I got the wrong impression, but I thought this was supposed to be alluding to the presence of real, actual, live griffons, which would indeed be a big thing considering they're supposed to be extinct and stuff of legends. A Grey Warden fortress is cool I suppose, nice location, but hardly unique or surprising.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Always happy to hear more about Dragon Age. The griffons dying out never made much sense to me unless we are missing part of the story of their demise. Perhaps this DLC will explain it. Were they hunted down? Did they simply not reproduce fast enough between Blights (seems unlikely)? Or did something more evil happen?
I must admit, I thought we'd see a live griffon in the scenes, but unless I'm missing something, all I saw were the two statues.
If it is DLC, can we we it on the level of Awakening DLC? As in, full blown expansion pack, and not just a few extra mission?

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
While it was an interesting venture, I really would like it if they focused back on the wardens for the 3rd installment. (Hawke was an interesting detour though) While the stone gryphons are nice, I dont think they'd bring them back so easily. It could just be that an story area will involve an abandoned or fade-locked warden base (I mean in awakenings they did shove an entire town into the fade afterall)