Section 8: Prejudice Goes Overdrive with Pretty New Map Pack

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Section 8: Prejudice Goes Overdrive with Pretty New Map Pack

The budget shooter worth its weight in gold gets even richer with a shiny new map pack due out June 1st.

I love the fact that TimeGate Studios is supporting its fun shooter on XBLA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8899-Section-8-Prejudice-Review] with some love post-release. The community unlocked a new multiplayer mode (Assault) by killing a million people online in the first two weeks the game was available, but today TimeGate announced a map pack called Overdrive will be released on June 1st. The pack offers two new maps - Abaddon and Sky Dock - which will be available in all the game's competitive modes, both offline and on. The map pack will set you back 320 Microsoft Points or four bucks and can be downloaded both on Xbox Live Arcade or Games for Windows Live.

[gallery=263]

The two maps use two of the environments already in the game, Abbaddon is set in a magma field while Sky Dock takes place in a frozen tundra.

I'm glad to see that TimeGate is following through on its promise to keep supporting Section 8: Prejudice this way. The $4 price tag might be a little steep for only two maps, but I think the business model that TimeGate is experimenting with here could prove really lucrative in the long run. If the free-to-play MMO market has taught us anything, offering a budget game and then supporting with smaller packages and microtransactions is great way to build a fanbase.

Here's hoping that TimeGate keeps up the level of quality with the Overdrive pack.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
My only gripe with S8 and TimeGate, they are still using Game for Windows Live. I would rather have Steam personally. :(

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
cainx10a said:
My only gripe with S8 and TimeGate, they are still using Game for Windows Live. I would rather have Steam personally. :(
Same here. It's like Micro$oft doesn't want wary customers to buy the game as long as it has their taint on it.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Awesome. I love that game, it's just that I got tired of the rather small amount of maps, so this is great.

bit_crusherrr

Jan 21, 2011
"Download via GFWL."

NOPE.

Here's hoping they are buyable on Steam am I fuck spending money on magical Microsoft doubloons.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
This game costs as much as a CoD map pack while being more fun and unique than CoD. Think of it.

Though honestly, drop GFWL.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, COD releases 4-5 maps for $15. S8P costs the same as a COD map pack, plus $4 for two additional maps... At this point, S8P costs ~$19, COD:BO w/ map packs costs $60 Wait, its $70 for consoles, right? So $70 for the game, plus $30 for both map packs, for ~$100. So S8P is roughly 1/5 the price of COD...

There should be a lesson to be learned here... especially for Kaos and THQ.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
Halo Map Packs (and most other online FPS games) 800 = 3 maps = 266 per map
CoD Map Packs 1200 = 5 maps = 240 per map

Section 8 Prejudice 320 = 2 maps = 160 per map

Seems to me that S8P's maps are lot cheaper, although if i was them i would have done 3 for 400msp.

jetsterjinx

Nov 10, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
cainx10a said:
Same here. It's like Micro$oft doesn't want wary customers to buy the game as long as it has their taint on it.
Actually, I've found it really good in my time with the game so far. I can earn achievements, unlock new gear, and play the same campaign save-file (not to mention bot games, swarm, etc.) If this keeps up, the only thing GFWL will be missing for me is an auto-patch system.