Respawn Hires Star Wars, Monkey Island Artist for Its New Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Respawn Hires Star Wars, Monkey Island Artist for Its New Game

We're pretty certain that the ex-Infinity Ward team isn't making a game staring a Jedi Knight Guybrush Threepwood, but we can't be sure.

Nobody knows what will come out of Respawn Entertainment, the new studio little kerfuffle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100204-Infinity-Ward-Respawns-at-Respawn-UPDATED] the developer had with Activision. We do know, however, who one of the primary concept artists is.

Said artist is Iain McCaig, a concept artist who has touched many a piece of geek culture before. McCaig helped define the looks of Darth Maul and Queen Amidala in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, he's designed characters for James Bond games, and he also worked on the classic Secret of Monkey Island.

Despite a storied resume that includes designing overwrought hairdos for Natalie Portman, McCaig told Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37777/Respawn-enlists-Star-Wars-artist-for-debut-game] that working with Respawn was one of his career highlights, calling it "the most exhilarating experience I've ever had in my career." High praise indeed.

He also said that he didn't really care that he wasn't designing pirates or space aliens at Respawn. "Whether it's military games or things set in space, it doesn't matter, my huge burning passion is in designing people," he said.

Could that be a hint that Respawn's new game will in fact be a military-themed title? Perhaps a game where you shoot enemies from a first-person perspective in a story of modern intrigue, terrorism, and warfare?

Nah, couldn't be.

(VG247 [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37777/Respawn-enlists-Star-Wars-artist-for-debut-game])

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
John Funk said:
Could that be a hint that Respawn's new game will in fact be a military-themed title? Perhaps a game where you shoot enemies from a first-person perspective in a story of modern intrigue, terrorism, and warfare?

Nah, couldn't be.
You kinda make it sound like it's a bad thing.

OT: So, they are doing something already? E3! ANNOUNCE! PLEASE!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
?

O come on! Someone had to!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
John Funk said:
Naaah, that can never catch on...

Kyp

Feb 13, 2009
John Funk said:

Nah, couldn't be.
Hahahahahaha

(Just wanted to express my appreciation for this line)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
suddenly Im much more interested in what these guys are coming up with

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Very funnily written article!

So, the Respawn game is definitely Call of Duty, but in space (without space aliens)? "Whether it's military games or things set in space, it doesn't matter, my huge burning passion is in designing people."

I think he might already be fired now, letting that out! :p

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
For a second there, when I first saw the title, I thought they had somehow pried Steve Purcell from his Pixar concept artist gig. Whew!

Matthew_Walker

Nov 7, 2009
Why does everyone assume RE is working on a military shooter?

Military shooters have been done to death, and all avenues have been covered.

I'd sooner it was a law enforcement type fps shooter, a sort of fps'ered Max Payne 1 & 2.

As for guns this site shows the assorted cop movies have all manner of assorted guns:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Movie