Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

Orlando Bloom's Legolas from Lord of the Rings has been confirmed for Peter Jackson's upcoming Hobbit film.

Orlando Bloom's portrayal of Legolas in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings [http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Extended/dp/B0026L7H20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306545664&sr=8-1] films had fans scrambling to buy their own light leather armor and learn how to use a bow and arrow. In a move sure to anger the most hardcore of J. R. R. Tolkien's followers, the golden haired member of the Fellowship will return in Jackson's first Hobbit film.

Jackson shared the reveal on his Facebook page. "Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas," he wrote. "I'm excited to announce today that we'll be revisiting Middle Earth with him once more. I'm thrilled to be working with Orlando again. Funny thing is, I look older-and he doesn't! I guess that's why he makes such a wonderful elf."

Great, right? Not for everyone. Legolas doesn't actually appear in the Hobbit [http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-70th-Anniversary-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618968636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306546203&sr=8-1] book, prompting some responses on Jackson's Facebook page such as: "But Legolas wasn't even mentioned in the book, only his father was and even then the name wasn't used."

Exactly how Jackson will incorporate Legolas isn't yet known. Jackson is presumably creating some kind of bridge between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, though The Hobbit takes place 60 years before the Lord of the Rings trilogy (edit: or just giving Legolas a cameo).

Bloom joins other Lord of the Rings cast members such as Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins, Andy Serkis as Gollum, and Ian McKellen as Gandalf. The first Hobbit film of two is shooting now and scheduled for release in 2012.

Source: Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ/posts/10150265634081558]

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
To be honest, I love Legolas, I'm more than happy to let artistic licence rear it's head this time round. Having said that, I do know several people who are gonna be mighty pissed off at this.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
oh no! it's ruined FOREVER!

on a seperate note, everything i hear about this movie makes me think it will be wonderful.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
I didn't take his statement as meaning that Legolas himself will be in the film so much as that we'll be seeing Orlando Bloom. But okay. I'm sure the elitists will freak out no matter what is done, so might as well go big or go home in this case?

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Hopefully it's only a cameo style shot in Rivendell, with maybe a line or two. I just don't want him through the entire thing giving Thorin Oakenshield the Gimli role.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
"Ten years ago, Orlando Bloom created an iconic character with his portrayal of Legolas"
You mean ten years ago Orlando Bloom created a worldwide girlboner with his blonde wig.

Yeah pretty much every woman I know is going to drag me to see this movie now.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
This confirms my fears that the whole Hobbit movie will be a sad sad sham. Damn you Peter Jackson, DAMN YOU STRAIT TO HELL!

On the other side of the coin, it might not be too bad, but I have a serious problem when movie makers take big liberties with the source materials like this. What they did with LoTR was acceptable but I really can't get behind this kind of change.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Hell yes, the return of the worlds greatest female lego person... I mean badass elf guy.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
eh, compared to some of the other changes they made to the series, this is downright tame. I'm looking at you Arwen.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Eh, I don't mind. Jackson has proved he has enough interest in the source material to make the right choices.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
wasnt the hobbit originally its own story that was retconned into the LOTR universe? i suppose (hope) that legolas is part of jackson trying to add more connectivity to the LOTR movies, though im wary that its just pointless fanservice because orlando/legolas is popular.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Well, they do pass through Mirkwood, so so long as it's not much more than a cameo, I'm happy about it. :D

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
This whole article is pointless. While he's not mentioned by name, he is infact mentioned in the book; as he is a Prince of Mirkwood and his father plays a MASSIVE part in the third act. I recall the book mentioning Thranduil's sons specifically. In fact, I even recall a quote where Thranduil says something along the lines of Bilbo being more deserving of the title of "Prince" than his sons, who happen to be standing next to him.
Call me a hardcore hobbit nerd, but those idiots on facebook don't know what they are talking about.

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
Wonder if he will have pimples and braces...guess he was a rather young elf in lotr? so 60 years ago he should be teenagerish? ;P

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
Hopefully it's only a cameo style shot in Rivendell, with maybe a line or two. I just don't want him through the entire thing giving Thorin Oakenshield the Gimli role.
As I recall Bilbo and the Dwarves traveled through the forest that Legolas dad owns. This means he could show up in background or possibly even speak a few lines and still be very faithful to the book.

dstreet121

Feb 21, 2011
Part of the Hobbit takes place in Mirkwood. Legolas is the Prince of Mirkwood. As long as Legolas only shows up in Mirkwood I see no problem here. (Although I fear that he may be thrown in at the final battle of the Hobbit fighting with the elves).

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Eh, I trust Peter Jackson on this. I very much liked the movies, regardless of their inconsistencies/omissions from the book (which to be fair, many did make sense for the movie).

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
dstreet121 said:
Part of the Hobbit takes place in Mirkwood. Legolas is the Prince of Mirkwood. As long as Legolas only shows up in Mirkwood I see no problem here. (Although I fear that he may be thrown in at the final battle of the Hobbit fighting with the elves).
Why would you fear that? His sons (or at least one of them) accompany Thranduil and his army of elves during those last scenes.