Left 4 Dead 2: Why the Boycott Is a Good Thing

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Left 4 Dead 2: Why the Boycott Is a Good Thing

The Left 4 Dead 2 boycott won't work, but it's still a great idea.

Read Full Article

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Great article. I just don't understand why they couldn't put the stuff in Left4dead2 into an expansion pack.
The only thing it adds is new ugly survivors skins, a few new maps, and one new playable infected. The new weapons are at best just reskins.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
bue519 said:
Great article. I just don't understand why they couldn't put the stuff in Left4dead2 into an expansion pack.
The only thing it adds is new ugly survivors skins, a few new maps, and one new playable infected. The new weapons are at best just reskins.
Eh? It has more maps than the original, 3 new infected, and a freaking chainsaw. A chainsaw is a reskin?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I just wish Valve would direct it's attention to the series that brought it so much fame in the first place. Give me either Half-life 2 episode 3 or Half-Life 3 before Left 4 Dead 2.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
I just don't get the argument. Don't they feel Valve has done enough for the game? They've bothered to deliver Versus play on the two campaigns it was previously unavailable for, added a whole new mode, and continue to support it through updates. Why the hell shouldn't ehy put out a new game if they so choose?
Good article regardless. One of the latter points you made does ring true; we as gamers now have a louder voice what with this here internet. However, as intelligent a bunch as we are here at the Escapist forums (intelligence claim made in view of comparing to likes of Gametrailers and IGN) could this not simply drown out the voices of those who think about things for longer than three seconds before jumping up and down on our chairs and shouting "I want this thing for free or not at all. BOO YOU!". Maybe the best way to speak to developers suchas Valve really is simply to boycott, and to not buy future products. That'll show them.

However, I'll bet my bottom dollar that not even a tenth of them will stick to the boycott.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
Eh? It has more maps than the original, 3 new infected, and a freaking chainsaw. A chainsaw is a reskin?
I was merely pointing out that what their adding doesn't isn't really need an entirely new game, they could just make a 30 dollar expansion and everyone would be happy. I just miss the good old days of expansions. Makes me cry a little.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Of course it's a good thing. It raises valid points that will be dealt with by Valve, resulting in more customer satisfaction and more fun overall.
That's it.

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
That's exactly what I was thinking, I'll bet most of the boycotters won't be able to resist and will buy it anyway.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
I was merely pointing out that what their adding doesn't isn't really need an entirely new game, they could just make a 30 dollar expansion and everyone would be happy. I just miss the good old days of expansions. Makes me cry a little.
Ya I can agree I will miss Francis, Bill, Zoey...and um the black guy....BARACK...no that's not right

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
TBH, I agree that their campaign is a fools errand, but they have a point. Compare L4D with Team Fortess 2. Both games were delayed for frigging ages (L4D was meant to be in the Orange box at one point as I remember it). But since TF2 came out Valve seem to have lavished it with attention & updates. By contrast. L4D came out in the Winter, & barely 6months later we're told there will be a sequel by the end of the year. Perhaps even more importantly, we're told by Microsoft that there will be a sequel. The contrast is pretty striking, even if its a question of perception rather than reality that L4D is being shafted.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
The only thing I would change about this is the name. Left 4 Dead 2? I mean, how about Left 2 Die or something? It would be kinda clever actually.

What's interesting about this is that this is sort of specific to companies of high caliber and who have a history of treating each game as a going concern. Compared to other developers (anything with EA on front of it, for instance) who maybe create a handful a patches, there is very short list of developers who regularly work on and worry about their popular old games. Off the top of my head, I can only think of four: Valve, Stardock, Paradox, and Blizzard. It's kind of demonstrates the negatives of Valve being a good company with a dedicated fan base, which is that when you disappoint that fan base, they become really really pissed off.

So, it's sort of to Valve's credit that 31,000 people get hopping mad when they do a next year follow-up.

Also, I would just like to say that you might've made a mistake on the whole Mechwarrior thing. What was the problem with Mercenaries? Or Mechwarrior 3?

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
if you want to boycott, then just do it. but obviousley it has had no effect except the potential loss of sales.

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
Freakout456 said:
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
Ya I can agree I will miss Francis, Bill, Zoey...and um the black guy....BARACK...no that's not right
What the fuck....

bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
How could they make it into an expansion?!? Its BIGGER than the original!

WrongSprite

Aug 10, 2008
magnuslion said:
if you want to boycott, then just do it. but obviousley it has had no effect except the potential loss of sales.
Is that not....the idea.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
WrongSprite said:
Freakout456 said:
bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
What the fuck....

bue519 said:
WrongSprite said:
bue519 said:
How could they make it into an expansion?!? Its BIGGER than the original!
It may have more stuff, but alot of the stuff isn't new. I mean cmon only one new mode? For the content they provide it doesn't seem worth 50 bucks for mostly the same game.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
All of you who mock the boycott group, are actually mocking their birth rights to be idiots. I agree with the article. While the whole getting angry at valve business may seem silly, at least people are trying to unite against a company in order to achieve something. Something they consider to be the right thing. You don't go around mocking someone for having the freedom of speech, pour example, and if you are, you should stop.

Anyways, just so you know it, I own Left 4 Dead, unfortunately I did not get many fun hours out of it (because I ALWAYS end up playing with Leeroys Jenkinses, or however you pronounce that) and I still am not complaining about Left 4 Dead 2. Although it does sting me in my wallet...

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I won't say I won't buy L4D2 but I won't be buying it new or at launch. I will wait til I see it gets the support promised (and more than a survival mode). I never once asked for anything free. I would be willing to pay 800,1200 or even 1600 for more campaign maps in the original. Though once I heard about #2 I traded my copy in that day. I figure if they aren't gonna support it then there isn't any point in holding onto it collecting dust waiting.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I will boycott it, but only because i see that left 4 dead really isn't a game you can build to much on, apart from new maps and the like.