Watch Out For Kamikaze Dogs in Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Watch Out For Kamikaze Dogs in Modern Warfare 3 Survival Mode

Modern Warfare 3 fleshes out Spec Ops with a brand new Survival mode and ranking system.

The first Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306603322&sr=8-1] will return with a host of upgrades and a Survival mode.

[gallery=264]

A USA Today hands-on reveals the brand new co-op mode which will bring players together against waves of enemies on the game's multiplayer maps. Spec Ops in Modern Warfare 3 will also come with a progressive ranking system like that seen in regular multiplayer, in addition to online matchmaking and team leaderboards.

In Survival, players collect currency to purchase and swap out weapons or install turrets while an unlimited number of enemy waves flow toward your hot ammunition. Waves get progressively harder, starting out including normal guys-with-guns but then peppering in kamikaze dogs, juggernauts, and attack choppers.

Infinity Ward community liaison Robert Bowling tweeted that players will be able to unlock "weapons, gear, and killstreaks" through the ranking system. He adds that Spec Ops, Modern Warfare's co-op mission mode, will once again feature "tactical objective-based missions" for multiple players in addition to Survival, but co-op will not be present in the single-player campaign.

Activision is still staying mum on the new features to be included in competitive multiplayer, the portion of the game that most Call of Duty players look forward to. Expected would be a similar expansion of features as we see here with Spec Ops.

*Note: The screenshots here are just the latest for the game, not necessarily of the Survival mode.

Source: Twitter [http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/05/survival-mode-in-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/1]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
This mode sounds pretty much perfect for me...

Let's hope it turns out well.

Like a customizable Nazi Zombies. With perks and everything.

Reminds me of Terrorist Hunt from Rainbow Six Vegas. Except mixed with Survival/Horde modes.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Well i would prefer this over zombies any day.
Considering they got it right that is..

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, it does sound nice, hopefully it'll actually be fun, too.
Now it'll be much harder to survive if the enemies actually shoot back at you, not just shamble at you with their hands :p

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Zombies works because its whacky fun. You dont have to be a tryhard to win: its actually more fun if your not. The unlockable parts of the map, upgrades that are more sci-fi than realistic, etc.

In other words, Spec Ops wasnt fun because it was too stuck up its own ass. Making its own multiplayer varient wont make it as fun as zombies: Zombies is a stress reliever. Take a note from Treyarck.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Sounds like that Spec Ops mission in MW2, except now it never fucking ends. At the very least I'm hoping for some decent player customisation, not just some silly camos.

Apr 28, 2008
Sweet. Spec Ops was easily my favorite mode from MW2. Just a bunch of missions meant for fun. That I can get behind.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
halo3rulzer said:
Kamikaze dogs? PETA will be all over this shit. PREP THE RED PAINT!
And by PETA logic: Killing fake humans = ok. Killing fake dogs = eeevvviiilll

Still, this does look rather cool. Looking forward to seeing my brother play it.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
CM156 said:
halo3rulzer said:
Kamikaze dogs? PETA will be all over this shit. PREP THE RED PAINT!
And by PETA logic: Killing fake humans = ok. Killing fake dogs = eeevvviiilll
Right. Because complaining about killing fake humans is Fox News's job.

NitehawkFury

Apr 8, 2011
Uber Waddles said:
Zombies works because its whacky fun. You dont have to be a tryhard to win: its actually more fun if your not. The unlockable parts of the map, upgrades that are more sci-fi than realistic, etc.

In other words, Spec Ops wasnt fun because it was too stuck up its own ass. Making its own multiplayer varient wont make it as fun as zombies: Zombies is a stress reliever. Take a note from Treyarck.
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who enjoyed the Spec Ops modes, despite the fact that you obviously did not. They offered a chance to work with a teammate in a common goal, which zombie mode also did. Sure, there were some pretty screwed up modes (ex. The Juggernauts), but for the most part they were a lot of fun to play with a partner.

Personally, I'd love to see some more fleshed out variants of the Spec Ops modes as full-blown multiplayer modes. For example, a survival mode where you and three teammates are trying to reach extraction while twelve other players are constantly trying to keep you from getting there, (similar to the AC-130 Spec-Op mission).

Or they could do one where there was a full-blown team-deathmatch going on, and two players have to try and get across the whole map, like in the Airplane Graveyard. They aren't on either team, and the other team isn't even informed that they are there. Would make things more interesting.

There are some very fun possibilities if you just sit and think about it outside of the standard mode variants.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Sounds like nazi zombies to me. But without what makes nazi zombies GOOD.

So there's another check on my list of reasons I'm not buying it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Kamikaze dogs?....Inspiration from WW2...from the Russians. Please don't say that it is the Russians again. :/

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Rex Fallout said:
... so... pretty much nazi zombies? Seems stupid, won't be getting MW3.
I fucking love cod so I'll be getting it but ninja'd on this comment
I would have thrown in a *cough* zombies *cough* because I'm original like that! /sarcasm

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
NitehawkFury said:
Uber Waddles said:

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one who enjoyed the Spec Ops modes, despite the fact that you obviously did not. They offered a chance to work with a teammate in a common goal, which zombie mode also did. Sure, there were some pretty screwed up modes (ex. The Juggernauts), but for the most part they were a lot of fun to play with a partner.

Personally, I'd love to see some more fleshed out variants of the Spec Ops modes as full-blown multiplayer modes. For example, a survival mode where you and three teammates are trying to reach extraction while twelve other players are constantly trying to keep you from getting there, (similar to the AC-130 Spec-Op mission).

Or they could do one where there was a full-blown team-deathmatch going on, and two players have to try and get across the whole map, like in the Airplane Graveyard. They aren't on either team, and the other team isn't even informed that they are there. Would make things more interesting.

There are some very fun possibilities if you just sit and think about it outside of the standard mode variants.
The only problem is that nearly everyone would want to be on the special list. Domination, Team death, Cap the flag these are all game modes that it doesn't really matter where the game randomly puts you other than the team you are with. Having anything other than 6v6 or equivalent of would really fuck up the random rotation.