PopCap Messes With the App Store

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PopCap Messes With the App Store

PopCap put the iPhone version of App Store [http://www.popcap.com/games/peggle] in the process.

The list of best-selling software maintained by the App Store is based solely on the number of copies an app has sold, regardless of price. As a result, cheap, throwaway apps like fart simulators rise to the top of the list while more expensive programs languish in the middle where they're easier for people to overlook.

To mess with the system a bit, presumably with the goal of demonstrating its shortcomings, PopCap "hacked" the App Store by reducing the price of the hit casual game Peggle to $1 for four days. The result? After bouncing around the 60 spot on the list of best-selling apps, the game went to number one with a bullet and, according to a PopCap rep, sold nearly as many units in four days as it had in the first three weeks after the game's launch.

Point made, perhaps, but what point, exactly? Has PopCap exposed the imperfections of the App Store ranking system or merely admitted that its charging too much for its games? I'm not convinced PopCap has accomplished quite what it set out to.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/06/15/peggle-iphones-meteoric-appstore-boost/]

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Weird. My friend once told me there was an app worth a million dollars. He said it did nothing but just prove you were rich. Four people downloaded it, making the guy who made it four million dollars richer.
It was called the "I Am Rich" app, but it didn't cost a million dollars. It cost one thousand dollars.

Anyways, yeah I'd buy peggle for a buck.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Weird. My friend once told me there was an app worth a million dollars. He said it did nothing but just prove you were rich. Four people downloaded it, making the guy who made it four million dollars richer.
lol I had a look could only find something on yahoo answers.

"At one point the I am Rich app was sold for 999.000. It has since been pulled by apple."

Edit - damnit! and the price is wrong damn you yahoo!

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Well, that, or you just jailbroke your Iphone =p

USSR

Oct 4, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
ansem1532 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Well seeing as I don't have an iPhone I could care less.

...Spare some change guvnor?
I wasn't implying you, I meant everyone in general =p

USSR

Oct 4, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
ansem1532 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
ansem1532 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Well seeing as I don't have an iPhone I could care less.

...Spare some change guvnor?
I wasn't implying you, I meant everyone in general =p
Yes, of course you weren't.

*Shifts eyes nervously*
*continues to stare in a rather creepy manner*

GOATOFRAGE

Jun 20, 2008
the app stores ratings are ridiculous as well, so many trolls just lower rating for no reason, with no review

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Ah, I have to go murder my friend now for deceiving me.
Forgive me master, It was Yahoo.

*Runs off to the shadows*

Mwahahahahha.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
Well, for a story about an app with unicorns and rainbows, this thread sure took a dark turn... 8O

RoboPenguin

Apr 14, 2009
Wow, that makes sense now. I was wondering about this when I saw Peggle uber cheap on the app store. I stopped asking questions long enough to snag it and tell some of my friends to buy it. BTW: Peggle works great on the Itouch. Too bad you all missed the sale :p

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
*Grows giant arm blade*

Okay, you bring me Yahoo or else I'll serve your head on a platter, alright?

Okay :(

*Jumps on magical unicorn*

I might be awhile I have to paddle to the US, away I gooooooooooooo!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Kindle store has the same problem. Books are regularly given away for free -- a great way to introduce readers to new authors and genres -- but then those books naturally rise to the "most popular" list. Perhaps the solution is to break downloads into most popular lists for individual prices.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Popularity lists filtered by price would be a good solution.

Otherwise "search" is a good way to find what you're looking for.