Rumor: Sony Unveiling NGP as PS Vita

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Sony Unveiling NGP as PS Vita

The official name of Sony's PSP successor may have been leaked prior to E3 2011.

When Sony first announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107394-Sony-Uploads-Entire-PSP2-Conference-Online-in-HD] the successor to the PSP, it didn't have an official name. Sony referred to what the world previously called the PSP2 as the "NGP." With E3 2011 just a hop, skip, and trip and fall away, a rumor may have revealed the system's official name before Sony planned to do so at the event.

An anonymous source may have told GamesPundit that the NGP will be called the PS Vita. "Our source tells us that this will be the definite and final name of the new system Sony will bring out at the end of 2011," the site writes.

Following this post, the Mega Rock Blog posted up a couple of images of unconfirmed Sony documentation on the PS Vita. They show the PS Vita logo on the handheld, but could easily be fabrications. Strangely, the Mega Rock post was removed and replaced with one that says: "A stupid mistake. This has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever done." The blog also appears to be inaccessible as of this writing, so take that as you will.

In Italian, vita means "life." Vita is also said to have been a codename for the PSP2/NGP before its announcement. In my opinion, the name doesn't roll off the tongue very well, but that seems to be the case with most new products until you get used to their names. The Nintendo Wii sounds perfectly normal now, though it certainly didn't when it was announced.

In any case, we may find out the truth about the NGP's final name at E3 2011, which runs from June 7-9.

Source: GamesPundit [http://gamespundit.com/1359/rumour-time-ngps-official-name-revealed]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I may be wrong, but if the name is supposed to be italian than wouldnt it be pronounced "vai-ta"?

Either way i genuinely hope they just go with PSP2.

SomethingAmazing said:
Is it is going to be buggy, universally crappier than its predecessor and have outrageous system requirements?
Are you sure you know what youre talking about there? This is about the PSP2/NGP, not the PC version of Black Ops.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
...Thats a stupid name, I'll be honest.

Why not just go with the usual way of things and go with PSP2?

makano

Nov 23, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
Vita huh?

Is it is going to be buggy, universally crappier than its predecessor and have outrageous system requirements?
OH Snap!

Lets just hope this lives up to its hype(i still enjoy my psp).

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Yeah, I'm not a fan. It just sounds too much like healthy yoghurt drink rather than an all singing all dancing fancy handheld.
If you heard "Have you got the Vita?" and didn't know about it, I'd be willing to bet your first thought wasn't "PlayStation related product"

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
"What you doing man?"
"Just playing my Vita."
"What the hell is that some kind of foot massager?"

It's not too late to change that awful name Sony. How about: PSP Jupiter? (I was looking at a poster of planets).

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
I'm going to get the device either way, but it would be nice if they had a more reasonable name

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm really starting to dislike all these rumours, I don't want any spoilers!!
That said, I don't think this is real. I mean, that's a horrible name. Even if it is real, I hope they change it because of this leak.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
You know what sucks? Leaks. Fuck leaks. Companies release things when they plan on it for a reason. Why can't we just get announcement?

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
gigastar said:
I may be wrong, but if the name is supposed to be italian than wouldnt it be pronounced "vai-ta"?

Either way i genuinely hope they just go with PSP2.

SomethingAmazing said:
Are you sure you know what youre talking about there? This is about the PSP2/NGP, not the PC version of Black Ops.
I think he means it sounds like, or is vista.

OT: I honestly believe that that is an AWFUL NAME!!!!

I hope it's psp2. I mean, they could totally make this as big a hit as the ps2 was for sony... those 2's could just do well for them :D

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
PSP Vita sounds fucking terrible. NGP suits it so much better, even if that's a codename.