Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Halo Killer Sentenced to Life

Daniel Petric, the teenager who killed his mother and wounded his father after they refused to let him play Halo 3 [http://www.halo3.com], has been sentenced to life in prison.

Petric purchased a copy of Halo 3 and tried to sneak it into his house despite being told by his parents that he wasn't allowed to own or play the game. They caught him and took the game away; in response, Petric shot them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88151] with a 9 mm handgun his father kept in an unlocked lock box, killing his mother and severely wounding his father, and then tried to pin the murder on his father.

Petric's attorneys admitted their client had pulled the trigger but shifted the blame onto his youth and "videogame addiction," which they said diminished his responsibility for the crime. The judge in the case rejected the claim as a valid defense when he found Petric guilty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88598-Teenager-Who-Killed-Parents-Over-Halo-3-Found-Guilty] of aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder and despite a request for leniency from the teen's father sentenced him today to life in prison for the attack, with eligibility for parole in 23 years.

Interestingly, the judge did express serious reservations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88653-Videogames-Made-Halo-3-Killer-Do-It-After-All] about the impact of videogames on the mental well-being of kids in January when he announced the guilty verdict and said he believed they were in large part responsible for turning Petric into a killer. "It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing," he said. "And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever."

The judge also implied at the time that he didn't necessarily consider the guilty verdict the end of the matter. "I believe there is hope here," he continued. "I believe that it will start here and at some point, when all is known about Daniel and what occurred here, we will be able to achieve a greater sense of justice."

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.cleveland.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/06/lorain_county_teen_who_killed.html]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I find it odd that his father requested leniency despite being shot by him. Just doesn't make sense to me.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
scnj said:
I find it odd that his father requested leniency despite being shot by him. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Nobody wants to see their child in jail for life.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
scnj said:
Its still his son.

Well have fun playing in jail. Poor kid, i hope they gave him the psychological treatment he needed instead of just locking him up.
Maybe, but he killed his mother and attempted to kill his father. If I'd been the father, I think I'd want to have him locked up for fear of a repeat performance.

MGG=REVIEWS

Dec 2, 2007
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
This is just some retarded attempt to shift the blame on videogames. He must have been mentally disturbed to have killed his parents over something like this.
The way i see it, its just an attempt to shift the blame from inadequate gun control laws. The americans can't lose their guns now can they. Lets blame all the violence on games instead of giving out guns like candy.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I blame halo not all video games!(nah I kid)

People also shouldn't be keeping guns in an easy to get and loaded.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
scnj said:
It was a Christian family, which is why the parents didn't want their son playing Halo. They thought it was too violent. Personally, I find it more odd that a Christian man would have a 9mm handgun in an unlocked box, and his son knew where it was.

At any rate, he asked for leniency because Christ calls Christians to be merciful and forgiving.
Whether or not you agree I guess it still on the table, but those were his motivations.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Sucks that a young kid got his entire life ruined, but he deserves it. I don't see how anyone could look at this situation and say that it's all the videogame's fault, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the kid.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
But why was the lockbox unlocked, and the kid have the experience with a gun to load it with ammo and fire it?
He obviously learned from his short time playing Halo 3.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
MGG=REVIEWS said:
I don't think this had anything to do with video games! it was just a child being a spoiled brat!
It had to do with addiction. From What I can gather the kid was either plain out psycho or was addicted to halo, and if it was the latter his parents taking it away would trigger an event like this. that's not saying it was the games fault, if he had been addicted to a movie or a TV show and his parents took it away the same thing could have happened.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
poncho14 said:
I blame halo not all video games!(nah I kid)

People also shouldn't be keeping guns in an easy to get and loaded.
Exactly it should be a call for better gun control. Jesus people if you insist on owning a gun and have kids lock them up. The gun was in a lockbox, an UNLOCKED lockbox, WTF is that?? Oh quick before the anti-NRA gets on our asses we'll blame games instead.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
xmetatr0nx said:
Well have fun playing in jail. Poor kid, i hope they gave him the psychological treatment he needed instead of just locking him up.
I'm not sure what treatment you could do for a sociopath. I would be that he tortures small animals, and wet his bed to a late age. I would say he's better off behind bars, I wouldn't want to find out what he does next after someone sets him off by doing some miniscule action.