GameStop Honoring Ancient Duke Nukem Forever Pre-orders

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GameStop Honoring Ancient Duke Nukem Forever Pre-orders

If you pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever a decade ago, your money is still good at GameStop.

Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1306805707&sr=8-1] was first announced in 1997, so there are bound to have been a lot of pre-orders on the title since then. The game's troubled development cycle may have caused some of these to be lost in the nether, but if you can prove that you pre-ordered at GameStop, the retailer has promised to honor your $5 deposit.

GamePro asked GameStop how it planned to handle Forever pre-orders, and the company replied with a statement saying: "With a long-anticipated release like Duke Nukem Forever, we encourage customers who pre-ordered more than a year ago to verify their reservation with their local store prior to launch. Provided the customer has a receipt, we will honor even those pre-orders taken long ago."

GameStop added that pre-order customers from all eras will also receive Duke Nukem Forever's pre-order bonuses. Over the years, GameStop has made changes to its POS (point of sale) system which may have led to an accidental loss of a deposit on Forever. I hope you saved your receipt!

Of course, this is exactly what GameStop should do, and is actually required to do by law I'd think. If it took payment from customers and pumped up its coffers without offering a product, that'd be what we call "shady."

Source: GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/219705/gamestop-will-honor-all-duke-nukem-pre-orders-even-decade-old-ones/]

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Good to hear!

I mean, legally the pre-order is still valid, but it's great that Gamestop is being up front abou the policy and informing people that if they still have the receipts, it will still do them good (though the chances of you losing the receipt is huge)

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Not surprised. They know that the amount of people with a receipt that old is very small.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Good luck finding anyone who didn't rip their receipt to shreds out of frustration by now. If you haven't, my god you sure have some restraint.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
now you know people will be bitching that they lost their receipt and gamestop is somehow evil and responisble for it.

But I'm glad tehy're doing it. I mean, they should yes, but it could be very easy for them or anyone else to just sorta brush it under the rug and play dumb.

Landis963

May 23, 2011
"Long-anticipated"? Yeah, I'll say.

Back on topic: It's actually good of them to honor those orders, but the older the order, the fewer people who are actually going to have receipts from then. This is probably just as planned, though the cynic in me finds it hilarious.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Daveman said:
Good luck finding anyone who didn't rip their receipt to shreds out of frustration by now. If you haven't, my god you sure have some restraint.
I have mine still. Somewhere.

I say that because I keep all of my receipts in one drawer. When I say 'All', I mean it. Every receipt I ever had since I was like 12 has gone in there.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
If someone made a deposit that long ago, they should get the game for free. Gamestop's made enough money off that $5 to pay for it several times.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
They're still getting ripped off once you factor in inflation. $5 back then could buy you a full tank of gas, with enough left over for a pack of gum after!

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
But that can?t be! According to this forum, GameStop is eeeeevvvvviiiilll. They ruin gamer?s lives, and single handedly ruin the industry by making money off of used sales!

/sarcasm

That being said, good that they are being open about this. I guess they know that likely few people still have proof.

EDIT:
soren7550 said:
And those sods should get the game for free.
Not to be rude, but by what merit? The fact that they heald on to something?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Ok, DNF was announced 80 years ago. I'm pretty sure that people stopped pre-ordering it 75 years ago. There's probably all of three people that still have their receipts, at the very most. And those sods should get the game for free.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Good on them, but I'm reminded of the "Going Postal" scenario where the mail was being lost, and refunds were possible but impractical.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
This is great news for my cousin. He's been waiting on this game forever. (He still has a receipt for it.) In fact, while the game was in (seemingly forever) development, he got married and had two reasonably normal looking kids all the while waiting for this game. I'll be glad to tell him that is wait was not in vain.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
HankMan said:
I'm here to kick ass and redeem my deposit.
And I'm all out of ass
Damn, I was waiting since forever to see a non-pun post by you, guess one-liners are good as well.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Daveman said:
I have mine still. Somewhere.

I say that because I keep all of my receipts in one drawer. When I say 'All', I mean it. Every receipt I ever had since I was like 12 has gone in there.
OCD much? :p

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Well, I mean, hopefully the law would have some sort of leniency given the fact that the game has been in development hell for 14 years.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Haha, real funny GameStop. The way I see it, three things happen here:

1. People lost their old receipt and don't get their deposit counted.
2. People discarded their old receipt in frustration at the game being declared dead when 3D Realms shut down and don't get their deposit counted.
3. People still have their old receipt, but thanks to GameStop's shitty paper and ink, it's faded beyond being readable and the customer doesn't get their deposit counted.

So no matter what, GameStop doesn't actually have to honor any of the old pre-orders. They just get to look awesome to those who don't know any better by saying they will.