Episode 7: "You Win or You Die"

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Episode 7: "You Win or You Die"

Ned is honorable, brave, and in really big trouble.

Read Full Article

zungerman090

Nov 18, 2009
Oh Ned. I kinda wonder why he didn't just bail and return to the Winterfell. Screw the capital. Everything except for the weather sucks anyways. I really hope that they won't kill him. I grew to like his character a lot

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Great Recap.

Brilliant episode. Ned just keeps getting screwed over.

And did Ser Jorah get a pardon from the spider? Is he working against Daenerys?

Shame an episode without Tyrion but good to see Jon Snow back.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Another great episode, even if there wasn't a "golden crown" moment. Drogo's rant was a great scene, though I'm not sure whether Daenerys was pleased with the full content of his speech (specifically the part where he announced his intention to rape a whole load of woman).

Itching to see what happens to Ned now, he's really been left in a tight spot there. Anyway, what is it with the fairer of hair often being complete fools/jerks here? If it's not Vaeserys (probably not how it's spelt, just replacing the D with a V but still) it's Joffrey.

That Grayjoy guy must be pretty desperate. Guess he's going to start putting the moves on the Wildling girl now that his favourite whore has left for the capital...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MarsProbe said:
Another great episode, even if there wasn't a "golden crown" moment. Drogo's rant was a great scene, though I'm not sure whether Daenerys was pleased with the full content of his speech (specifically the part where he announced his intention to rape a whole load of woman).

Itching to see what happens to Ned now, he's really been left in a tight spot there. Anyway, what is it with the fairer of hair often being complete fools/jerks here? If it's not Vaeserys (probably not how it's spelt, just replacing the D with a V but still) it's Joffrey.

That Grayjoy guy must be pretty desperate. Guess he's going to start putting the moves on the Wildling girl now that his favourite whore has left for the capital...
I think Theon is just itching to feel more powerful than someone. His dad is head honcho of the Iron Islands, but Theon himself is kind of a third wheel at Winterfell. He's kind of Robb's contemporary, but really not...it's a difficult position for a man his age to be in.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I think Theon is just itching to feel more powerful than someone. His dad is head honcho of the Iron Islands, but Theon himself is kind of a third wheel at Winterfell. He's kind of Robb's contemporary, but really not...it's a difficult position for a man his age to be in.
Ah, I knew he must have had a first name. I liked how the 'mere' Wildling was able to quickly deconstruct his justification for being addressed as Lord. Once this series is over, I think I will need to pick up for the book. No doubt there will be a lot of extra background detail in there as well.

And a map. It better have a map :)

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
I have just finished watching ep 1 through 7 back to back (I was a little late to the party), and I LOVE THIS SHOW! I have not read the books (but I plan to do so very soon) so everything is new to me.

A couple of thoughts after ep. 7:

R.I.P, King Robert, you drunken bastard, you!

Ned is in deep doo-doo, but I think that his show of honor and loyalty to King Robert might win him some favours from the Commander of the guards (can´t remember his name, older guy...). Perhaps enough to help Ned escape.

Personally I don´t think the Lannisters would have messed with the wine. Remember how Jamie likes for everything to be "clean". Far more likely that the Kings steward had orders to make sure that the King was well and truly drunk during the hunt, to increase the odds of a tragic accident.

Whether or not King Robert was right to order Danerys´ assassination, the problem now lies with whoever sits on the throne when Drogo arrives! I pity the fool....

pineapplewizzard

May 15, 2010
Id never neen this show but id seen lots about it here so when saw they were doing a recap on sunday of all the episodes i decided to giv it a try and ive got to say this is one badass show. thanks escapist for getting me to watch it.

anyway the assasin was terrible and it seems that ned is always right but no one listens to him and hes constantly getting screwed over like the ending to this episode.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
I love reading people's posts from the people who haven't read the books. I sorta wish I hadn't read them before hand, but now that I know what's going to happen, it's so fun reading the comments.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
With so much that's unfolded thus far, everyone who is still entralled must be getting excited. While some are wondering about Ned and the Dothreki hoard stories, I'm currently really interested in the wall and what might just lie beyond it, real creepy stuff so far.

A.Balthazor

Mar 5, 2008
So, I have read part of the book, but have yet to catch up to the show. So I'm still in the dark!

But during the episode when they discussed the assassination of Daenerys my thinking that Ned was right, but not only for the reasons given: attempting an assassination, and failing, would guarantee the exact result they had hoped to avoid. And lo and behold this episode proved my thinking right. I think if this argument was put foward it would have been a much stronger position to convince others to at least wait before such a measure was undertaken.

The fact that was pushed for before it was really needed leads me to question the motives of those who counseled Robert for action now.

Again, please no spoilers, this is just what I'm thinking. I don't want answers; I'm content to watch the show.

Ned, poor Ned, should have been looking at the long game with regards to the Lannisters. Issuing the ultimatum to Jaime (last episode), and then waiting too long to seize the Protectorship of the Realm, were poor decisions on his part. Too many loyal Lannisters around for such bold moves. I think Littlefinger's advice was sound: make good, swear to Cersei that the Realm does not need infighting in the wake of Robert's death, and that Joffrey as heir will be king when he is of age. Then he could maneuver his way to a stronger position over the course of a few years.

I suppose we'll see what happens. I expect Ned will die soon, and that this will galvanize the Stark children to rise up and grow up very quickly. All except Sansa, of course, who will remain in the kingdom and become a virtual hostage to the Lannisters. Just some guesses, I admit. I suppose we'll see!

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
Stabby Joe said:
With so much that's unfolded thus far, everyone who is still entralled must be getting excited. While some are wondering about Ned and the Dothreki hoard stories, I'm currently really interested in the wall and what might just lie beyond it, real creepy stuff so far.
I have a feeling that whatever lies beyond will reveal itself just in time for a cliffhanger into season two...

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
A.Balthazor said:
So, I have read part of the book, but have yet to catch up to the show. So I'm still in the dark!

But during the episode when they discussed the assassination of Daenerys my thinking that Ned was right, but not only for the reasons given: attempting an assassination, and failing, would guarantee the exact result they had hoped to avoid. And lo and behold this episode proved my thinking right. I think if this argument was put foward it would have been a much stronger position to convince others to at least wait before such a measure was undertaken.
And you think a successful assassination would be any better? Unless they tried really hard to make it look like a sickness or an accident, Drogo would have still flipped his shit. Honestly, I don't think the man needs a reason to go rape and pillage, give him one and that'll be terrifying.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
zungerman090 said:
Oh Ned. I kinda wonder why he didn't just bail and return to the Winterfell. Screw the capital. Everything except for the weather sucks anyways. I really hope that they won't kill him. I grew to like his character a lot
He couldn't. He was duty-bound to his friend and King to do the best he can with what he's got.

Granted, he probably didn't go about it quite the right way, but one of his flaws is that Eddard tends to think everybody is as trustworthy as he himself is. Which up in Winterfell and the North may be more or less true because life is so different up there, but in King's Landing... yeeeeaaaahh... not so much. People are far more grasping and greedy without the constant reminder of what winter is like to help hold them together (Keep in mind the summer has been roughly 10 years long at this point in the story).

Stabby Joe said:
What lies beyond The Wall is more or less a book in and of itself. Won't be seeing too much of that this season, unfortunately. You may recall the Wildlings referring to a guy called "Mance Rayder" or the "King-Beyond-The-Wall" when they were talking amongst each other. Those names start to pick up importance soon.

Stein Inge

Jun 9, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
A.Balthazor said:

And you think a successful assassination would be any better? Unless they tried really hard to make it look like a sickness or an accident, Drogo would have still flipped his shit. Honestly, I don't think the man needs a reason to go rape and pillage, give him one and that'll be terrifying.
Perhaps that was the point? Someone wanted to encourage Drogo to go on the war path. I seem to remember that he showed little interest in crossing the narrow sea before...

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
Stein Inge said:
Ned is in deep doo-doo, but I think that his show of honor and loyalty to King Robert might win him some favours from the Commander of the guards (can´t remember his name, older guy...). Perhaps enough to help Ned escape.
Whether or not King Robert was right to order Danerys´ assassination, the problem now lies with whoever sits on the throne when Drogo arrives! I pity the fool....
You mean Ser Barristan, the commander of the Kingsguard. The commander of the guards is Janos Slynt, the guy that was meant to help Ned, the bastard.

Off topic, I've always wondered why Eddard is shortened to Ned. Halfway through the fourth book and it's never been explained.

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
A.Balthazor said:

Dothraki society is built around rape and pillage, actually. That's how thier culture thrives. The only permanent city they have is Vaes Dothrak and a lot of that is just a collection of loot dumped out on the plains below a mountain next to a lake. 90% of a Dothraki's life is spent going to or coming from a battle or raid. Jorah explains in one of the earlier episodes that's how they get the slave labor that they rely on so much.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Stein Inge said:
WouldYouKindly said:
A.Balthazor said:

Perhaps that was the point? Someone wanted to encourage Drogo to go on the war path. I seem to remember that he showed little interest in crossing the narrow sea before...
But that raises the question: Who in Westros(sp?) would benefit from that. Little finger has other schemes. The fat eunuch; what would he stand to gain from a Dothraki invasion? It does sort of help whoever is sitting on the throne at that time as such a massive outside threat does great things for unity. Drogo could also be helpful for killing whatever happens to be north of the wall. Let the realm get subjugated by Drogo and then he wears himself out against whatever it is then anyone with a decent amount of influence could take the throne.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
I love reading people's posts from the people who haven't read the books. I sorta wish I hadn't read them before hand, but now that I know what's going to happen, it's so fun reading the comments.
Haha, i know. It's so hard not to jump in with spoilers, especially when there is so much to debate and analyze in the series. I've recently been arguing with my sister and another friend, trying to explain my position on Catelyn (i'm one of those rare people who don't hate her). Ned's situation and blunders play a big part in my reasoning, and i'd love to have more people to debate it, but with all these new fans, there's so much potential to spoil things for them :(

SadisticBrownie said:
Off topic, I've always wondered why Eddard is shortened to Ned. Halfway through the fourth book and it's never been explained.
Same reason some Johns are called Jack, and even in our world some Eds are Neds (it's not common, but it happens). There are a lot of other similar situations, just can't think of them off the top of my head.