DS Lite Drops to $99, Mario Games Get Snazzy Boxes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
DS Lite Drops to $99, Mario Games Get Snazzy Boxes

Want to pick up a Mario game for your now-cheap DS Lite? Just look for the red boxes.

Nintendo is all about the future these days. It has a shiny new 3D-capable handheld and it has a brand-new console set to debut next week at E3 - why wouldn't it be looking ahead to the future? But Nintendo still has two consoles on the market, and the venerable old DS is one of the most successful platforms in gaming history.

If you're one of the four people on the planet who haven't yet bought a DS, it'll soon be cheaper: Nintendo has announced that as of June 5th, the DS Lite will be retailing at a MSRP of $99. That's $150 cheaper than the 3DS, and it also has way more games than its newer, bigger brother.

To help you find some of those games, Nintendo has announced that it will be re-branding six of its Mario games with newer, more eye-catching red boxes. Considering how the games in question - New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Party DS, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, and Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! - are all pretty darn good, making them stand out on the store shelves is probably a good idea.

(Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/ds-lite-drops-to-99-mario-games-get-red-box-202432.phtml])

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That's all well and good but New Super Mario Brothers, Mario & Luigi, Bowser's Inside Story, Mario Kart, Mario Party...those are still $35 each, new. Are those going to finally see a price cut? Please? Sure I could buy preowned but I want the boxes...and manuals...and I want new...

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Finally, a price cut for the DS. Ever since mine broke i've been meaning to buy a new one but couldn't get the money together. I'm still going to have a hard time getting the money but at least now it will be easier.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Mario 64 DS is REALLY good. If you haven't played it the game really is a thing of beauty.

Also multi-player mario kart with friends in the same room is a high level of fun.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Well, might be time to upgrade from my GBA SP at long last. Any recommendations or must-haves?

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
That's all well and good but New Super Mario Brothers, Mario & Luigi, Bowser's Inside Story, Mario Kart, Mario Party...those are still $35 each, new. Are those going to finally see a price cut? Please? Sure I could buy preowned but I want the boxes...and manuals...and I want new...
They're like $70 in Australia! And Wii games from 2007 still sell for $100 RRP, new. Nintendo is the only console developer who does not lower their prices for old-ass games. Of course, this also means that the fixed price for second-hand titles rarely go down, either. I wanted Kirby's Epic Yarn, but at $100 new and $90 used... eurgh. EUURGH!

Eurgh.

Polarix

Jul 3, 2009
Nooners said:
Well, might be time to upgrade from my GBA SP at long last. Any recommendations or must-haves?
All right, besides the games listed above, here's a list of some of the best games on the Nintendo Ds.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-25-best-nintendo-ds-games/a-2011032418204037049

I would make my own list of Ds recommendations but I won't since the article pretty much covers it in terms of games that are must haves on the Ds. I will say this however, two games that I do recommend that aren't listed are Chrono Trigger and Okamiden. The reason being that the Ds version of Chrono Trigger is probably the best port of the game that I have ever seen and that Okamiden is the sequel to Okami which has recieved universal acclaim from almost every major game reviewing site ever and because Okamiden is a pretty great game in its own right.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
This is a really good deal. I would definitely buy it if I didn't already own all of the above items haha.

AccessGranted

Mar 17, 2010
I remember when I had my DS lite and Mario Kart DS... must have spent over 1000 hours playing that game! good times. I'm tempted to pick it up again but I'll just wait until Mario Kart 3DS comes out and get that version and a 3DS since it's supposedly this Autumn.

Nov 28, 2007
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
They're like $70 in Australia! And Wii games from 2007 still sell for $100 RRP, new. Nintendo is the only console developer who does not lower their prices for old-ass games.
Not quite. Granted, the studio doesn't exist anymore, but I haven't found Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II going for cheaper than $35 at Gamestop. And that's the used copy. And it doesn't go for much less on Amazon used. New, you're talking $70+.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
That's my problem with Nintendo systems. I'm one of those people who doesn't pay full price for any game, because they aren't worth that price to me. If Nintendo thinks that I'm going to not only pay full price, but do it on a game that's several years old, they're crazy. There are several games on that list that I would love to buy, but not for more than $20 new.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Whoa! $99? That's actually really great.
believer258 said:
Totally fracking awesomesauce!

With that out of my system, can someone point me to a list of good games? While I'm fine with bright and colorful and cartoony, I'd also like some recommendations for something a bit... darker and more mature. Are there some of those? Also, nothing turn-based. Preferably side-scrolling games that shy away from using the touch screen.

EDIT: I should specify that a bit more: Really good and interesting turn-based is alright, but for the love of God and everything else that is holy, please, nothing that gives random encounters.
Have you played Phoenix Wright? You play a defense attorney and the game consists of the trial where you present evidence and arguments, and detective work...that's self-explanatory.
The World Ends With You is also a pretty great. It's bright in color BUT it can get dark in the story line.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
believer258 said:
AbstractStream said:
Whoa! $99? That's actually really great.
believer258 said:
Totally fracking awesomesauce!

With that out of my system, can someone point me to a list of good games? While I'm fine with bright and colorful and cartoony, I'd also like some recommendations for something a bit... darker and more mature. Are there some of those? Also, nothing turn-based. Preferably side-scrolling games that shy away from using the touch screen.

EDIT: I should specify that a bit more: Really good and interesting turn-based is alright, but for the love of God and everything else that is holy, please, nothing that gives random encounters.
Have you played Phoenix Wright? You play a defense attorney and the game consists of the trial where you present evidence and arguments, and detective work...that's self-explanatory.
The World Ends With You is also a pretty great. It's bright in color BUT it can get dark in the story line.
Thank you very much for the recommendations, but frankly those are the very two I was hoping not to hear about. I was thinking maybe something I haven't heard of before.
Well, crap. Now I feel like I have to get you a good one xD
Let's see. What about 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors? Multiple endings to that game.
I'm not even gonna mention Professor Layton or Devil Survivor, because I know those are well known.
Plants vs. Zombies isn't a series game but it's fun at least. Same goes for Ivy the Kiwi.
Scurge: Hive is like Metroid...but hey. At least it's decent.

Aaaand I can't think of anymore at the moment. I have failed...

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Ds lites are notorious for there shoulders breaking and the shoulder buttons becoming unresponsive. This is a bad deal.