Survey Paid £250 for Gaming Divorce Stories

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Survey Paid £250 for Gaming Divorce Stories

The numbers cited in this morning's Daily Mail report may have been doctored by Divorce Online, the conductors of the survey.

The British tabloid Daily Mail said today that 15 percent of divorces filed in the U.K. for "unreasonable behavior" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110496-Videogames-The-New-Homewrecker] now cite videogame addiction as a cause. What the report fails to mention is that courts often won't pass a petition for divorce unless three or four reasons for the split are provided. After the heavy hitters like "lack of love and affection" and "an inability to deal with debts" are put down, it's not that big of a stretch to complain about your husband's videogaming habits.

More damningly, EuroGamer noted that an advertisement for videogaming stories related to divorce appeared on Divorce Online's Facebook page, offering £250 for people to tell their stories and appear a national newspaper. "[The newspapers] also tend to pay too!" the ad said.

Jessica Ellis, the woman quoted in the Daily Mail story and a recent client of Divorce Online, rose to the challenge and promise of pay. "He was addicted to World of Warcraft but played other games now and then. The amount he was playing gradually increased until I could not take it any more," she said.

But the picture Ellis painted for the press release is much different than what she told Eurogamer when they asked her the details of her and ex-husband's story. "My husband and I recently moved over from South Africa, so for him [playing WoW] was a connection to his friends back home," Ellis said. "I think it was particularly bad during winter, so the staying home part might be relevant. But the main reason was to stay connected to his friends."

Hmm, that sounds very different than simply splitting up because he played games too much. I'm not saying that Ellis and her husband should have stayed together, but I don't think that there is suddenly a huge rise in divorce in the U.K. because of videogame addicition. The whole story seems to be fabricated by Divorce Online, and the Daily Mail.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-31-are-video-games-to-blame-for-increase-in-divorce-rates]

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Well, it's certainly nice to see somebody accurately call the Daily Mail a tabloid for once...

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Would there be any way for them to confirm whether or not people are actually divorced. I can see this being abused.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Oh, wait, I have the perfect song for this precise kind of circumstance.

Never put it past a knee-jerk conservative tabloid to misconstrue reality.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Can we say that Daily Mail is...

*puts on sunglasses*

... divorced from reality?

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I saw someone on another thread refer to the daily mail as "The Daily Fail", which seems a more and more appropriate quip...

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Daily Mail is a bag of shite anyway, we need to stop giving it the coverage it craves on this site. Unless it has a reasoned argument to make about games and gaming worth reporting about here on the site, leave it. Don't report it.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I am shocked, SHOCKED, to discover that bias was put into an article by the Daily Mail!

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Can we say that Daily Mail is...

*puts on sunglasses*

... divorced from reality?
YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Being in the US I do not have enough direct experience with "The Daily Mail" to give a deep analysis, but overall it seems like the same basic song and dance as we get with Fox News over here. Basically left wing media dominance being threatened by a large scale source taking the other side. The source is labeled a tabloid, and the mistakes made are yelled from the rooftops, with errors in other news sources not being given the same treatment, and of course a lot of the arguements coming down to "bad information" simply because a politically opposed recipient doesn't want to accept it and feels that it was "debunked" simply by someone with an opposing position being covered in a source matching their own political views. I only point this out because while not popular, there have been a few bits showing what it would be like if someone started saying doing the same thing done to Fox to sources like CNN or MSNBC (paticularly the former) here in the US. CNN has come up with as much, if not more garbage, it's just not called to task for it as often.

That said, on the issue itself, it doesn't surprise me. The bottom line is "spousal neglect", the husband or wife being involved in something to the point where the other end of the relationship is unhappy due to not enough time being spent with them, or feeling like they are being avoided so as not to have an opinion on things. Whether it's the husband "living at the local bar" or the wife doing the same thing at a local beauty salon or jetting around with her girl friends, it's the same basic story. As technology has advanced, there are more things for people to get invested in, and it's not surprising that video games are a factor in a lot of divorces from both ends. Escapism is escapism, and you might as well say "News Flash: People use video games to escape from reality" that's sort of like "News Flash: People get drunk in bars to escape from reality". Any way it goes, if a spouse thinks your escaping from them, it's going to be stresss on a relationship.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
ok for the last time escapist, stop using the daily mail as your source of news from over here, use a paper like the independent or even the guardian (say what you want about it, but i like my wall-charts). also as prof here is every thing the daily mail says causes and prevnts cancer in alphabetical order http://kill-or-cure.heroku.com/a-z/a

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
People actually take The Daily Mail seriously?

It kills me when the American media sites it as a legitimate news source.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
To the US:-

Imagine the Daily Mail as the British newspaper equivalent to Fox News

There we go

Bad Neighbour

Jan 14, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Oh, wait, I have the perfect song for this precise kind of circumstance.

[-snip-]

Never put it past a knee-jerk conservative tabloid to misconstrue reality.
I am SO glad someone posted that song. The Mail is a disgrace.

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
Therumancer said:
Being in the US I do not have enough direct experience with "The Daily Mail" to give a deep analysis, but overall it seems like the same basic song and dance as we get with Fox News over here. Basically left wing media dominance being threatened by a large scale source taking the other side. The source is labeled a tabloid, and the mistakes made are yelled from the rooftops, with errors in other news sources not being given the same treatment, and of course a lot of the arguements coming down to "bad information" simply because a politically opposed recipient doesn't want to accept it and feels that it was "debunked" simply by someone with an opposing position being covered in a source matching their own political views. I only point this out because while not popular, there have been a few bits showing what it would be like if someone started saying doing the same thing done to Fox to sources like CNN or MSNBC (paticularly the former) here in the US. CNN has come up with as much, if not more garbage, it's just not called to task for it as often.
I fully agree with you about how most news sources here in the US have turned to complete garbage. Corrections in newspapers are buried where people can't find them, networks deliberately spread false or misleading information, many sources try to advance narratives, and others include meaningless things like CNN's "(youtube) video of the day," which take away time that should be devoted to real news. What's worse, in my opinion, is that people care more about preserving the 1st amendment freedoms involved in this situation than the people being directly affected as they become more and more misinformed.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
My ex-wife commonly says WoW is what broke us up. Nevermind the fact she never wanted to be a wife, just have the title. Nor the fact I almost never played WoW while she was home. I did play a lot, but that was because she was always out with her friends. But when she came home, the first thing I would do was log off so I could finally get to spend some time with her.

I was asked during marriage counceling how much time I spent gaming. But I was never asked how much time I spent gaming instead of with my wife. There's a HUGE difference there.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Megacherv said:
To the US:-

Imagine the Daily Mail as the British newspaper equivalent to Fox News

There we go
That...actually makes far more sense than I care to admit because it scares me to do so.