PopCap Honcho Decries "Lowest Common Denominator" Development

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PopCap Honcho Decries "Lowest Common Denominator" Development

Ed Allard, the head of worldwide game development at PopCap, says the practice of releasing games simultaneously across multiple platforms leads to "lowest common denominator" thinking, which is why PopCap doesn't do it.

When a big new game hits the market, more often than not it comes out for all intended platforms at the same time. PC, PS3, 360, Wii, whatever; while there are times when some platforms take longer than others - the Mass Effect [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Pc/dp/B00140P9BA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306885100&sr=8-2] series is a good example - it's a relatively rare phenomenon and usually the result of exclusivity deals rather than technical considerations. But PopCap generally takes a different approach, releasing games one platform at a time, and there's a good reason for it.

"The rolling platform release strategy has been something that's evolved out of, not out of a business plan - although it turned out to be pretty good from a business perspective - but it's more about being able to approach these platforms with such individual care and attention," he said in an interview with GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-05-26-popcaps-ed-allard?page=1]. "Releasing them all simultaneously, well, we worry about that forcing us into a kind of lowest common denominator thinking."

"When the console industry started hitting a point where everything was coming out multiplatform, you started feeling that. If you've got Wii, 360 and PS3 day and date, you kind of end up playing a Wii game on your PS3 as opposed to playing a great PS3 game, because that's sort of what it takes from a development perspective," he continued. "So instead of taking that approach we'd rather, if you're playing a PopCap game on 360, it feels like a great 360 game, you've got to assume that you'll never play that game anywhere else, as opposed to you playing a great Xbox version of a PC game."

PopCap will likely continue with staggered releases, although Allard said that multiplatform launches could figure in the company's future. But if it does, he added that it will likely be a case of simply holding back releases on some platforms until everything is ready to go.

And while the PopCap brand isn't exactly synonymous with hardcore gaming, Allard believes the distinction between core and casual gamers is rapidly disappearing and that it's the core gamers who are finding themselves on the outside looking in.

"What's interesting is that right now, if you think about core gaming, I think of that as the niche genre as opposed to the mainstream. That change happened almost overnight - it would have been a ridiculous thing to say three or four years ago but now it's pretty much reality," he said. "With core consoles getting more casual, and social becoming so widespread, and iPhone bringing games to so many people who didn't think they were gamers, all of a sudden we woke up and found ourselves thinking that the casual distinction is kind of a useless one."

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I like Popcap. I REALLY like Popcap.

Badly made ports have been killing good games since the 80s.
Yarp. Popcap may make fairly simplistic games, but they're still damn good games with plenty of value. PvZ is almost always open in a background window on my work computer...

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
HankMan said:
Well I guess their commitment to quality is rather consoling.
I swear I've seen you post puns in the last few threads I've been reading.

OT: I can definitely see where he is coming from, but I wouldn't be a fan of waiting for a game to arrive on a platform long after it's original release. I suppose, if you and the resources, you could develop specially for each platform, end up with several varied version of a game according to platform, then release all of those at the same time.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I agree with his argument. GTA has always suffered from less attention to making it more PC friendly, while too many games overall give that feeling of not being meant for that platform.

It does feel like he's being a bit flippant about it. Did he not get his java before the interview?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"What's interesting is that right now, if you think about core gaming, I think of that as the niche genre as opposed to the mainstream. That change happened almost overnight - it would have been a ridiculous thing to say three or four years ago but now it's pretty much reality," he said. "With core consoles getting more casual, and social becoming so widespread, and iPhone bringing games to so many people who didn't think they were gamers, all of a sudden we woke up and found ourselves thinking that the casual distinction is kind of a useless one."
nope.avi

Hardcore gaming has always been a niche market (see: train models). What happened before is that the niche was the entire industry, so there was a mainstream inside the niche; but the behaviour of games, as a culture and as a market, has always been of a niche. Now, there's an actual mainstream, so the niche can now be seen as the niche it's always been.

Like, imagine a medieval castle town. It's a big castle, then a bunch of houses, then the town walls. If you looked at it and was asked where the fortress was, you'd point to the castle. Now imagine that castle town nowadays, surrounded by modern buildings all around. If you were asked where the fortress is, you would point to the entire castle town - the castle is now just another part of a big walled structure. That's what happened to gaming - the built a city around our castle walls.

Chrishu

Jul 2, 2008
I don't exactly appreciate him calling us core gamers a niche market, but then again, it's not like PvZ is AAA anyway, so we're not his audience.

Kirkpad

Mar 18, 2010
PopCap not synonymous with hardcore gaming? My mom played Peggle so hardcore that she got 100% clearance on all the levels and finished every challenge in Peggle AND Peggle Nights. That's not hardcore?

Personally, I think any game or person can be "hardcore". It just depends on the point of view.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
HankMan said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I like Popcap. I REALLY like Popcap.

Badly made ports have been killing good games since the 80s.
Well I guess you find their commitment to quality to be rather consoling.
Are you trying to become Captain Planet in the number of puns you make?

OT: I still dont own PvZ not my kinda game but im glad its getting a quality control on it tho

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Kirkpad said:
Personally, I think any game or person can be "hardcore". It just depends on the point of view.
if its made by Zynga it cant. those so called games are nothing but piles of shit stinky shit at that lol

zpm4737

Dec 25, 2008
Wait, PopCap is criticizing companies for pandering to the lowest common denominator? Really?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Really? Because I thought it was a testament to their poor skills as a developer that they couldn't get something as simple as Plants VS Zombies out on multiple platforms that are very similar all at once. A great developer would have been able to say "PvZ out on iPhone, WP7, Android, PC, and XBLA today" and have them all be of the great quality that we should expect as gamers.

Oh well. At least Popcap is great at spinning situations to make themselves sound good even if they're only a so-so developer that can't handle launching quality products on multiple platforms simultaneously. Have to be good at something, right?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Veldie said:
Kirkpad said:
if its made by Zynga it cant. those so called games are nothing but piles of shit stinky shit at that lol
Funny because hardcore gamers say the same things about COD, Halo and oh yeah every game ever made. Haters gonna hate

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
The Random One said:
Andy Chalk said:
nope.avi

Hardcore gaming has always been a niche market (see: train models). What happened before is that the niche was the entire industry, so there was a mainstream inside the niche; but the behaviour of games, as a culture and as a market, has always been of a niche. Now, there's an actual mainstream, so the niche can now be seen as the niche it's always been.

Like, imagine a medieval castle town. It's a big castle, then a bunch of houses, then the town walls. If you looked at it and was asked where the fortress was, you'd point to the castle. Now imagine that castle town nowadays, surrounded by modern buildings all around. If you were asked where the fortress is, you would point to the entire castle town - the castle is now just another part of a big walled structure. That's what happened to gaming - the built a city around our castle walls.
That's... a surprisingly good analogy.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Chrishu said:
I don't exactly appreciate him calling us core gamers a niche market, but then again, it's not like PvZ is AAA anyway, so we're not his audience.
I'm not so sure I'd agree with that. PvZ was extraordinarily polished, offered a steady challenge curve and tons of extras. The biggest difference between PvZ and "real" triple-A games as I imagine you picture them is that PvZ shipped virtually bug-free and didn't require three or four patches to bring it up to snuff.

Some of the most dedicated core gamers I know love PvZ. I love PvZ. And I think this whole conversation really makes Allard's point. The line between core and casual is fading.

Onyx Oblivion said:
I bought PvZ on 3 systems.
Don't feel too bad, I bought it three times for the same system - first the standard retail release, then two copies of the CE. (My wife wanted the zombie and there was no way she was getting mine.)

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Chrishu said:
I don't understand how calling a niche market a niche market is a bad thing. It's not an insult.

OT: I see this strategy working well for smaller, less anticipated titles like PvZ, but imagine if BLOPS was staggered. The internet would burn to the ground. People would be SUUUUPER pissed if the other console got the game 4 months earlier than they did.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Yeah, that's why with PvZ on PS3 the music chugs, dies and then suddenly you are listening to two different tracks playing at the same time when there's a lot of stuff on screen. They really optimized the hell out of that one. /sarcasm off

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
zpm4737 said:
Wait, PopCap is criticizing companies for pandering to the lowest common denominator? Really?
No... they're criticising other companies for not spending enough time to make their ports meaningful.