Cosplay Collective Puts on Portal Stage Show

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cosplay Collective Puts on Portal Stage Show

Sadly, portal guns aren't real, but if they were, they might look something like this.

Ninja of the Night, a cosplay group based in the Pacific Northwest, has taken home the award for the "Best Dramatic Skit," at this year's FanimeCon convention, with a short piece based on Valve's first-person puzzle game Portal.

The event, called the Masquerade, took place over the weekend at the San Jose McEnery Convention Center. The skit contains everyone's favorite characters from the first game, which is to say Chell and GLaDOS, although we only get to hear the latter's voice. The Weighted Companion Cube is in there too, although whether he/she/it counts as a character is debatable, and thankfully gets through the proceedings without anyone tossing him/her/it into an incinerator.

It's a fun little piece, and rather well coordinated and choreographed. The costumes and props look pretty much spot on too, although the Companion Cube looks like he/she/it is slumming it a little. Of course, whether or not the props are exactly right really isn't the point. If you want to watch more of Ninja of the Night's work, you can see plenty more videos on their official YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/notncosplay] page.

Source: Geeks Are Sexy [http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/05/31/portal-performed-live-video/]

Feb 13, 2008
Dulcinea said:
You just became so much hotter to me.

Intelligence is my biggest turn on, and you got that down. But cosplay too?

[sup]Marry me.[/sup]
I'm flattered but my ladyfriend would kick your ass. ;)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Okay, that was cute.

Also, congrats on avoiding the whole cake business.

richd213

Mar 2, 2011
Win and lame in equal measures I think hahah

It was well choreographed to be fair to them. My head hurt when the companion cube went through one portal and on to the button. Then again my brain hurts whenever i play portal.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
That's pretty neat but I think one of the Chell's Leg bracers kinda came off a bit wonky there :p

Still anything like this takes practice and coordination and it's a nice piece of nerd-off.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Their timing was pretty good, it was a very well put together sketch. I love how the crowd went off when they heard GLaDOS's voice.

It's a shame that for very good cosplay skit, there is so many poor ones.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Good God, I agree with Yahtzee..... Portal was the worst fans... Hard to hear GladOs' sinister itonations at the start.
Granted, I guess they weren't expecting people to lose it and in fairness it's the best reaction you can get from a crowd. The certainly deserved it!

The group should adopt the tag 'Made of awesome' after that. Brilliantly done.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
That is what we call theater arts...
Amazing talent, few mistakes tho, but that is theater for you. Mistakes make it a live performance. I'd like to try that in my graduation work :p, I just need to find 2 people who look alike in my school.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Little bit went wrong but they stayed with it and delivered the bit well. A few more look-alikes and they would be able to leave the portals in separate areas to make the illusion better