Saints Row: The Third Trailer Brings Down the House (With Bullets)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Saints Row: The Third Trailer Brings Down the House (With Bullets)

As a wise man once said: "It's gettin' hot in here, so take your guns and shoot the hell out of the place."

Whereas the once over-the-top and zany Grand Theft Auto moved ever so slowly into the realm of mostly-serious crime drama with GTA4, Volition's Saints Row did the exact opposite. The first Saints Row was little more than a GTA clone, but the second was an over-the-top guilty pleasure that won the affection of a notoriously hard-to-please British ex-pat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/312-Saints-Row-2].

[video=3352]

Judging from this cinematic trailer, Saints Row: The Third should be just as over-the-top as its predecessor. What's impressive about the trailer is how quickly the violence ramps up, from simply beating up a bouncer to a slow-motion shootout-slash-brawl in the middle of an elite nightclub, and finally to being surrounded by military jets on the top of a skyscraper.

Some gameplay would be nice to see, but the trailer works fine on its own. We do know, thanks to IGN [http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1171975p1.html?fb_ref=at_xt%3D4de6a065ed180fdc_0&fb_source=profile_oneline], that while it is still an open-world game, the vast majority of missions will take place in instanced spaces like one would find in MMORPGs like WoW. This gives developer Volition the power for more scripted events in action scenes to better further the plot, though some gamers will undoubtedly lament taking players out of the open world, even if it's only for missions.

Saints Row: The Third is out this November.

(IGN [http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1171975p1.html?fb_ref=at_xt%3D4de6a065ed180fdc_0&fb_source=profile_oneline])

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Wow, that was pretty awesome. I know that I'm getting this game regardless of the trailer though.

The Hot Sauce Thief

Nov 14, 2010
That was a pretty cool trailer. Im definitely pre-ordering (although I was already going to)
Still waiting for some gameplay to be shown, but it should (hopefully) be like the Saints Row 2

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
If that wasn't "Shit's going down" I don't know what is!
Awesome trailer, want the game already, but this helps. :p

Druyn

May 6, 2010
This is the greatest trailer in the history of ever. I have waited so long for this, and it looks like, even just story wise, they are going to deliver. The music, the scene, action, it all just works like nothing I've ever seen in a trailer before. I am in love. This cannot come fast enough.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Guys, I like this trailer too, but come on. It's a big cutscene, undoubtedly made specifically for the trailer, and reflects / expounds upon NOTHING we can expect to see in the finished game. Yawn, wake me up when there's a REAL trailer.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Isn't it funny how things come in waves? In any normal year, I'd call this game a shoe-in for GOTY. But this year it's up against some pretty heavy hitters: DNF, Dead Island, Batman AC, the next Morrowind game, (maybe even Alice?). Against such a line-up, I'm not sure who comes out on top.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Also, I love the holla at the homie revive. Shot, dead, just pull him back up and he's good to go. Nice consistency between game and trailer.

The Hot Sauce Thief

Nov 14, 2010
IAmTheVoid said:
If Shaundi from SR2 comes back, I'll be a very very happy man.
Shaundi and Gat will be in there, along with your character, but im not sure if Pierce will be there

You are now a "very very happy man". I can has cookie now?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
So. The enemy's name is going to involve a star in some way? Maybe a Red Star?

And is STAG the name of the 'corporation', or is it just the vehicle?

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Woah...

I know I was going to get this game no matter what, but that trailer was spectacular, and just made me want it more.