Capcom Backtracks on Restrictive Super Street Fighter IV DRM

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Backtracks on Restrictive Super Street Fighter IV DRM

Amazingly, a videogame publisher has listened to fans and actually toned down the DRM in its product.

While PC gamers rejoiced when Capcom announced that it was finally bringing Super Street Fighter IV to the PC in the form of the updated Aracde Edition, they were considerably less happy about the game's incredibly restrictive DRM. Fortunately, Capcom has not only heard their complaints, but it has listened to them, and has outlined a plan to strip out some of the restrictions imposed by the DRM.

Capcom's original plan for SSFIV: AE was that less than half of the game's roster - just 15 out of the potential 39 - would be available if the game wasn't hooked up to the internet. Fans were rather upset about this limitation, saying legitimate consumers would have a worse experience than the pirates. But posting on the Capcom Unity blog, Christian Svensson said that it was never Capcom's intention to make life more difficult for its fans, so would be removing the restriction through a small title update.

According to Svensson, the update will likely come soon after launch, although he said that if it is ready at launch then Capcom will release it at the same time as the game. Once the update is applied, all 39 characters will be available regardless of whether an internet connection was present or not.

While it would have been much better if the DRM had never been an issue at all, Capcom's response to the public outcry is a very positive one. While it's understandable that developers and publishers want to protect their investment, doing so by unintentionally punishing paying customers is not the best way to go about it. Hopefully more developers will be willing to listen to their fans about this issue in the future.

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition comes out on PC this July.

Source: Capcom Unity Blog [http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2011/06/02/ssfiv:_ae_pc_%E2%80%93_drm:_we_had_it_wrong]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
How many copies do they think weren't going to be sold because of DRM? I'm curious what the actual numbers were at the heart of this.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy crap... ehem... good move Capcom, I... *hides anti Capcom posters* may consider buying it now.

Thank you.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
Yay, now I can pir...purchase legitimately

In all srsness, Im not a pirate, and i dont condone piracy.

On topic, I may get it for pc rather than ps3 now, if my pc can run it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
That's... Just awesome. I hadn't heard of this DRM, but I know that would have pissed me off to no end once I bought the game, and I usually have access to internet. Kudos to Capcom, this was a good move. I'm just wondering how developers can see this kind of DRM as a good idea in the first place, but maybe Capcom, at least, now realise how annoying it is for loyal customers.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Capcom's original plan for SSFIV: AE was that less than half of the game's roster - just 15 out of the potential 39 - would be available if the game wasn't hooked up to the internet. Fans were rather upset about this limitation, saying legitimate consumers would have a worse experience than the pirates. But posting on the Capcom Unity blog, Christian Svensson said that it was never Capcom's intention to make life more difficult for its fans, so would be removing the restriction through a small title update.
So if you don't have internet, you don't get all the characters. You also can't download the title update because you have no internet.

Awesome job Capcom?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
This just proves how much Capcom cares about it's community, but I still saw their point of view with the DRM restriction. Vanilla SFIV was heavily pirated, and quite frankly they obviously considered not releasing the game on the PC at all since they skipped Super.

Believe that they're going to have to use some other kind of measure to stop the pirates. This is a victory for the people, but what does it say to every other company out there? "It's going to get pirated, so you may as well stop struggling"? That's just bad.

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
Awesome. After hearing about the DRM I changed my mind about buying this game. Now that it's no longer an issue, I once again plan to purchase it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Wait...did hell freeze over? A major developer listened to consumers to make something better?!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Is this true? It's not a lie? Halleluja! Miracle do happen!

OT: Though it would have been better if they hadn't used that DRM in the first place...Still I am going to enjoy the shit out it anyways.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The DRM was such a massive mistake. It only ever punishes honest customers, never pirates. So, Great move Capcom, you have been one of my favorite publishers for a long a time, since the days of Megaman. This was a fantastic move, and I am seriously going to consider foregoing the PS3 version and getting the PC version. It's worth the extra couple of bucks to support a company like this. That is, a smart company that respects its customer base and doesn't tell them to fuck off. I just wish you didn't use GFWL, it would be definitive then.

Apr 28, 2008
Ok, thats good to hear.

But will the saving feature still be disabled in offline mode?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're backing off a bit, but the DRM is still pretty bad. After all, why would you make your customers use GFWL?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Capcom's done a lot of wrong lately (on-disc DLC, charging for basic difficulties and versus modes, etc.), but props to them for doing something RIGHT.

Good job, Capcom. There may be hope for you yet (now release MegaMan Legends 3!)

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
High five to everyone else who made Capcom know just what a bad deal the original DRM was.
High five!

WaaghPowa said:
Wait...did hell freeze over? A major developer listened to consumers to make something better?!
I know right? If only more would they could earn more money and praise.