This WoW Infographic Presents Quite a Few Really Big Numbers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
This WoW Infographic Presents Quite a Few Really Big Numbers

How much does it cost to keep the hardware behind Blizzard's World of Warcraft running every single day?

At its core, World of Warcraft is a game about numbers. Your healer needs to have his or her healing numbers high enough to keep your tank alive, whose hit points and defense skills need to be high enough to survive massive attacks from enemies, and your damage-dealers need to do enough damage to kill the enemies before your healer's magic power runs out. You beat the enemies, and collect items to make your other numbers increase - obviously, it's more complex than that in reality, but that's the core of everything.

The folks at handy infographic [http://www.videogamedesigncolleges.org/] that discusses the numbers behind WoW: How many people play it, where they're located around the world, and how much money changes hands, just to name a few.

For instance, did you know that WoW's servers (presumably for the North American market, though it's vague) are comprised of approximately 20,000 computers running 75,000 CPU cores and possessing a combined 1.3 petabytes of data? These servers run through 5.5 million lines of code almost all day, every day, with a maintenance cost of $136,986 per day - and that's just on the hardware side of things! When you add salaries for technicians and the hundreds of in-house customer support agents, the financial cost of WoW is simply staggering.

It's hardly the first WoW infographic, but there's some interesting stuff there that shows more attention to detail than normal - it breaks down the number of world-first raid boss kills across expansions by the top guilds in the world, as well as world-first acquisitions of rare legendary items.

I remember those guys in Immortality from back on my early WoW days when I played Horde on Skullcrusher. I think they ganked me a lot. What a bunch of jerks!

Catch the full, high-res thing here [http://www.videogamedesigncolleges.org/wow-graphic].

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/01/infographic-world-of-warcraft-by-the-numbers/])

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
All of this is amazing and all.. but the only thing that stood out to me was that 1 in 5 players are female. I no a few female players but I really didn't expect that many.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
It truly is amazing to see the enigma that WoW is in terms of numbers.

It's just quite amazing really/

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
Staggering amount of power it takes to run WoW. I mean.. 20.000 computers? Do Blizzard have their own little power plant or something?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
It really is interesting to see all of this info.

One thing I've always wondered though is the number of players of WoW has. I mean I have a WoW account, but I haven't played in years. Am I still count as one of that 11.5 million? It'd be interesting to see how many of these accounts are actually active.

Grey_Gore

Feb 10, 2009
Everyone's keen on these chart breakdowns lately, aren't they? Also, did someone really pay nearly $10,000 for a WoW account? That seems a bit... excessive.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Wow, actualy a neat bit of information. Chances are, even if people knew the entirety of how WoW's operated, they'd still find ways to complain about the smallest of things.
Ah the internet.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Umm. They made a mistake 1.1 billion Yuan is (according to current exchange rates) 169 MILLION USD not Billion.

Big numbers though :)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LavaLampBamboo said:
It really is interesting to see all of this info.

One thing I've always wondered though is the number of players of WoW has. I mean I have a WoW account, but I haven't played in years. Am I still count as one of that 11.5 million? It'd be interesting to see how many of these accounts are actually active.
No, you aren't. That number represents active, non-trial accounts.

According to Rob Pardo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96113-Blizzards-Rob-Pardo-Talks-Five-Years-of-Warcraft], the total number of non-trial WoW accounts that have ever been made is somewhere from 22-33 million, probably closer to the higher end of that scale (and that was back in 2009).

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
World of Warcraft.
A name that will last long on the interwebs. So many records broken, such a colossal thing-y.
Those stats are very impressive.

Daym. We won't see a game like that for a long, long time. Well, that's what i think, anyways.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
As staggering as that is, in twenty years time I'll probably be reading the internet on a PC with 1.3 Petabytes of storage and 75'000 cpu cores, bet it won't cost $136k a day either.

It is amazin that, but it begs the question how Activision can post such tiny relative profits when that behemoth seems to print more almost $2billion a year.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Bigsmith said:
All of this is amazing and all.. but the only thing that stood out to me was that 1 in 5 players are female. I no a few female players but I really didn't expect that many.
They usually pretend to be male or hide from public. And you know really well why... Gaming world isn't the friendliest place for a woman to be in, which is so fucking sad as a fact.

But It always got me wondering; Why does insulting and pushing women away from your surroundings so you are left surrounded by men, reinforce you heterosexuality? Doesn't seem logical to me. Or insulting women and acting all sexist, you piss them off and drive them away. How does that reinforce your heterosexuality?

GOsh... I hate this world.

But anyway on topic:

Interesting numbers indeed, only if Blizzard wouldn't be fucking up and losing things because of their changed attitudes of ruining content so "everyone could see it"... Oh Well...

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Bigsmith said:
I'm not at all surprised. About half of the guild I was in was female, and I ran into female players a lot more often than I expected. Ironically, most of the female players I knew played male characters.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hammeroj said:
It's not staggering once you realise that they're receiving 15 dollars a month directly from close to 6 million active users. From subscriptions alone. Even doing some extremely slanted to their side calculations as to not seem too biased, they still come out at a solid 60
million a month in pure profits. Again, on subscriptions alone.

Or is this not a thread to show us how hard Blizzard is working in order for the people to be able to play their game, and one to just share some numbers? Bah, how easily impressed kids are these days.
I would *love* to see Blizzard's banksheets some day. I mean, the numbers we see here are just for WoW's upkeep, but I've visited the campus and there is no WAY that thing is cheap to maintain. I think that, with employee salaries, hardware costs (PCs to code on, etc) and even something so simple as utilities like power and water, game development studios have a lot of costs that most gamers don't even realize - let alone something the size of Blizzard.

That's not to say that WoW isn't a hugely profitable game, because it is. The infograph has it right there - the only thing more staggering than how much it costs to run WoW every day is how much it makes :p

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
SinisterGehe said:
Bigsmith said:
They usually pretend to be male or hide from public. And you know really well why... Gaming world isn't the friendliest place for a woman to be in, which is so fucking sad as a fact.

But It always got me wondering; Why does insulting and pushing women away from your surroundings so you are left surrounded by men, reinforce you heterosexuality? Doesn't seem logical to me. Or insulting women and acting all sexist, you piss them off and drive them away. How does that reinforce your heterosexuality?

GOsh... I hate this world.
Dude, you speak the truth. I never understand it, as soon as some one in almost any game is found it, or announces, they they are female it turns into a fest of "Tits or GTFO", whilst a minority of people, my self included, desperately attempt to shut them up.

Seriously, they have just the right to play the game as you do. Wanna no why. They fucking paid for it. Just like you did.

OT: Impressive figures. Very. Tis a shame I doubt we'll ever, ever see a game with these kind of figure for a long, long time.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
As staggering as that is, in twenty years time I'll probably be reading the internet on a PC with 1.3 Petabytes of storage and 75'000 cpu cores, bet it won't cost $136k a day either.
Sorry, you wouldn't own that computer though, that computer would own you.