Multi-Platform HD Collections Part of Kojima's "Transfarring" Initiative

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Multi-Platform HD Collections Part of Kojima's "Transfarring" Initiative

Hideo Kojima has announced a new initiative called transfarring that'll let players game everywhere.

At the Konami pre-E3 2011 press conference, Hideo Kojima revealed an interesting new concoction he calls "transfarring." No, that's not a typo. While the basic idea refers to transferring game saves between consoles and handhelds, the announcement points toward a greater intention of Kojima's to incorporate the concept into most of his games.

Which means, of course, that he'll eventually have to create both portable and console versions of these games. To start, transfarring will be included with the releases of the just-announced Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and Zone of the Enders HD Collection. Both are coming to the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, but owners of Sony consoles will be able to take advantage of transfarring.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will include the PS2's Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner [http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-2-Liberty-Playstation/dp/B00005ML10/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1307065361&sr=8-11].

Konami says the versions appearing in these collections are rebuilt for the Xbox 360 and PS3 with new interfaces, redrawn high-res art, effects, and fonts, new trophies/achievements, and improved audio. In Peace Walker, players will be able to connect a USB cable between PS3 and PSP to "transfar" game saves back and forth easily. Konami didn't seem to reveal how any of the other titles would support transfarring, but clearly put the transfarring mark on the Zone of the Enders HD Collection box.

Kojima says PS3 to PSP game saves are step 1 of transfarring. Step 2 is using it with PS2 games on PS3 between the PS3 and PSP. Step 3 involves moving data between the PS3 and Sony's next-gen NGP handheld. So there you have it, a complicated name for a relatively simple feature.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is scheduled for release in November 2011, while Zone of the Enders HD Collection will be available in 2012. Are you ready to transfar?

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

AgentQV

Nov 24, 2009
I've never played the originals, and so far I'm intrested, I'll be sure to keep my eye on it.

Sep 30, 2010
don't care much about "Transfarring" but would love to see the 360 get some MGS and it'll give me an excuse to replay them

pokepuke

Dec 28, 2010
It sounds pretty stupid that such a thing is being heralded as a cool and new feature to gaming.

Especially with that name. Yuck.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
There are no words in both English, or my second language, Chinese that can begin to describe my excitement. I've been wanting to replay MGS3, but my ps2 is shit.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I am so very glad to be a gamer right now. So are they two separate collections or do they come as a single package thingy?

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
I can play Peace Walker on my TV and not a tiny screen? WIN.

Been wanting to play that.. and I've been doing my Avatar an injustice...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Stupid name aside... YESS!!!!, YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Now I have a REAL reason to buy a PS3, heck, it was the very same reason I bought a PS2 in the first place.

Jul 9, 2008
I find it odd that the MGS collection doesn't have MGS1, if I read that right, but it's still cool.

Jul 9, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
I find it odd that the MGS collection doesn't have MGS1, if I read that right, but it's still cool.
It doesn't :(
Weird. Maybe they feel that, since they re-released MGS1 already in the form of Twin Snakes, they don't need a remake here.

Yostbeef

Apr 14, 2010
I'm hoping this HD version of Snake Eater will include the 3D camera control from Subsistence.I'd imagine it would,but some conformation would be nice.Can't wait to see more details emerge.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Transfarring sounds interesting but I dislike the idea of buying the same game twice. I wonder if they are going to do an enhanced release of MGS4 for the NGP with the ability of transfarring.

BTW I figure the reason they didn't include MGS1 is because the PS1 version cant be much improved with HD and my guess is The Twin Snakes is partly owned by Nintendo.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Neckbeard moment: I already own every one of those games, and I wouldn't mind repurchasing them just for the HD.

As far as this "transfarring" thing... that's neat and all, but it sounds absolutely ridiculous.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Of course it is is called 'tranferring'. In Japanese there just isn't that 'err' sound, so it is mistakenly rendered at 'arr'. Simple as that.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
FUCK YES!

I mean, I was hoping for the collection to contain MG1, MG2 and MGS, but I can live without that. Peace Walker's inclusion makes up for this for sure, I borrowed my brothers PSP and the game but couldn't get into it, mainly the controls, so this excites me. This disc will be in my PS3 for quite some time.

Also, I have never got the chance to play the ZOE games, so it's an instant buy from me.

Kojima is the fucking man.

PS: Oh, the save thing? Cool? I guess? I think the collections announcement overshadows this by a little bit though, no?