Darksiders II: A New Horseman of the Apocalypse Approaches

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Darksiders II: A New Horseman of the Apocalypse Approaches

Darksiders II retains the combat of the original, while introducing a new loot system and main character.

Despite [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98001-Analyst-Says-Darksiders-Was-A-Disappointment-for-THQ"]lackluster sales[/a], THQ immediately green-lit a sequel to 2010's [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7010-Review-Darksiders"]excellent Darksiders[/a] upon its release. Vigil Game's sequel to the original will include a new main character, Death, along with a new cast of side characters, new weapons (including a hammer twice Death's size) and a loot system - yet to be described in detail, but just the very idea is tantalizing.

[video=3369]

In the past, THQ creative director Luis Gigliotti [a href="http://gameaxis.com/exclusive-darksiders-developer-walkthrough-with-thq/"]commented[/a] on the sequel having all Four Horsemen - the other two being Famine and Pestilence (sometimes called Conquest) - along with having a multiplayer component. Co-op, perhaps?

However, these comments date back to 2009, before production on a sequel even began. There are rumors the game will see a 2012 release, but THQ might announce an official release date next week, either in Game Informer or at E3.

A recently released trailer shows some in-game footage of Death wielding his scythe, saddled on his pimped-out horse of death, smashing a hammer against hordes of skeletons and jumping from wall to wall. Also, his legs are friggin' huge.

Yup, that's Darksiders, alright.

Source: [a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/games/darksiders_ii/b/ps3/archive/2011/06/02/exclusive-darksiders-ii-reveal-trailer.aspx"] Game Informer[/a]

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I never got around to playing the first one. Is it worth a rental at least? It looked interesting. This, however, has done little to pique my interest. I hope that the first Darksiders was more interesting than that made it out to be.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Yaaay, Darksiders 2!

I really should get to finishing the first one. I think I'm perhaps 20min away from the end as well.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Yay! A new Darksiders, loved the 1st one hope they improve the combat this time round, after a while the combat became more of a chore due to the lack of combos making the game repetitive.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Looks good indeed. Doesn't seem to deviate all that much from the original game, but if you ask me that ain't such a bad thing. I like the look of Death as well, and his voice sounds exactly as I expected it would.
TheKruzdawg said:
I never got around to playing the first one. Is it worth a rental at least? It looked interesting. This, however, has done little to pique my interest. I hope that the first Darksiders was more interesting than that made it out to be.
If you ask me, Darksiders is a truly delicious snack. It's basically God of War meets Zelda in a fantastically over-the-top gothic setting with a pinch of RPG-ness. I'm playing it in small chunks on the PC (an excellent port if you ask me) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

A shout-out goes to the, in my opinion, brilliant voice acting. It's completely in line with the game.

Jul 22, 2009
Definitely looking forward to this!

I really enjoyed the first, some touching up here and there and the second will be epic :3

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Urrrggg...

Colour me intensely disinterested. Aggressively so, even.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Looks good indeed. Doesn't seem to deviate all that much from the original game, but if you ask me that ain't such a bad thing. I like the look of Death as well, and his voice sounds exactly as I expected it would.
From the trailer I half expected Jackie Estacado's voice from The Darkness...

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
TheKruzdawg said:
I'd rent it first. For me the game was too bland. It uses familiar gameplay elements from other games but doesn't reach the same smoothness. It really bugged me and I threw it out.
That's my experience and I know a lot of people did enjoy it so..

Zhukov said:
Urrrggg...

Colour me intensely disinterested. Aggressively so, even.
I mean this I guess.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
Can't wait for it, I really liked the first one, and I like the idea of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Onwards!

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I suppose if Darksiders 3 features Conquest it could be an RTS game. Maybe Darksiders 4 featuring famine could be a Cooking game or something :p

Citizen Snips

A Seldom Used Crab
May 13, 2009
War made sense. Obviously someone familiar with battle and one who would use weapons. But death is well...death. He doesn't need weapons. You can't kill him, and he can be anywhere he wants.

Unless they put him on a sweet bike A la Good Omens and take a lot of material from Terry Pratchett, I see him as being a very boring character.

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
twm1709 said:
I suppose if Darksiders 3 features Conquest it could be an RTS game. Maybe Darksiders 4 featuring famine could be a Cooking game or something :p
Hell's Kitchen: The REAL story?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Oohoohoo, YES.

Please, bring on the amazing gameplay and hilariously cheesy story and characters. Yes, PLEASE.

This, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Skyward Sword, The Old Republic, and I feel like there's something else I'm forgetting...

It's looking to be a good couple years for gaming. Bad year for wallets, though.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
Do want! Do want lots! I like the first game and enjoyed the adult Zelda clone from start to finish. So when can I pre order it and will there be another figure with the game on purchase? I have the one of War.

Thincrust

Sep 2, 2010
I'm pretty excited! I just dusted off my copy of the first one and I'm playing through on apocalyptic difficulty for last couple of achievements. Great game, I just hope there are no more portal puzzles lol.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Super excited about this.

His horse's name is Despair btw.

I really hope they don't gay up this game with some tacked on shitty co-op or multiplayer.

Keep it single player, and keep it good. There was nothing wrong with the first one, so don't "fix" what isn't broken.