Sony's Free "Welcome Back" Game Downloads Go Live

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony's Free "Welcome Back" Game Downloads Go Live

PlayStation Network users can now head on down to the PlayStation Store to download some free games.

Sony's apology for the PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store's downtime, called the Welcome Back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110095-Sonys-PSN-Apology-Includes-Free-Games] program, is now live on the PlayStation Store. Users have an entry in their PlayStation Store menu called "Welcome Back" that'll run them through the process.

The Welcome Back program gives users two free PS3 games, two free PSP games, 30 days of PlayStation Plus, movie rentals throughout the weekend, 30 additional days for Music Unlimited subscribers, and 100 virtual items in PlayStation Home. Current PlayStation Plus subscribers get a free 60 days tacked onto their subscription.

Users can download the following games:

PlayStation 3:

Dead Nation
inFAMOUS
LittleBigPlanet
Super Stardust HD
Wipeout HD + Fury

PSP:

LittleBigPlanet
ModNation Racers
Pursuit Force
Killzone Liberation

You can actually get four free games in total if you have a PSP and PS3. To download, users have to go into the Welcome Back menu, download the Free Game tokens, and then choose their game.

As a word of warning, the PlayStation Store appears to be experiencing errors as of this writing. I personally downloaded the tokens, it didn't let me download the games, and then the tokens were gone. However, customer support reveals that anyone this happens to should go to the XMB --> Account Management --> Transaction Management --> Service List --> SCEA Promotions (or your associated region). Then choose the token and download the content. Unfortunately, even that method isn't perfect at this time, as Sony's servers may be overloaded.

Errors aren't the best way to welcome back a customer base, but presumably they'll be ironed out toot suite. Users must have had a PSN account before April 20, 2011 to take advantage of the Welcome Back offers. Welcome Back will expire on July 3.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
This would be great if their password changing systems weren't still down. I emailed sony's tech support about it and they told me it was lagging due to traffic...

https://store.playstation.com/accounts/security/resetPassword.action?token=UXJP9UJKZGBMNIYVN8BYRHFCRKV7UBEZLUTT4KGFH0NVTMXI9IGC2SJMHEW36XKK

Yeah, okay. Guess it's time to research what free game I want. I'm guessing my 30 days of free shit is counting down during this. What a joke of a company Sony is.

If anyone knows how to change your password please let me know.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Downloads worked for me, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. all in all I'm finally glad this is up so I don't have to keep checking if its up anymore.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Gonna jump on this once I get home from work. Wipeout HD and probably Dead Nation as I already have inFAMOUS. Hopefully it'll be working nice and smooth once I get home. I remember logging onto the store yesterday when it first started up and it was super slow and errors left and right, got home and it was fine, so I'm not worrying too much.

Dec 14, 2009
LBP and Wipeout for me.

I haven't played a Wipeout game since the demo of the first one on the PSX, on the disk you got with the console.

I've heard good things about this one.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Yep, I'm just going to stand over here and count down how long it takes them to be taken down again.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I'm working on getting mine now, but it's a pain. That's not really Sony's fault though. They must be having a massive ammount of traffic. Still, can't wait to get my wipeout and Infamous.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, I just found this out. Problem is, apparently so did everyone else because I can't access the store now. Flood of traffic. Oh well. Not like it's going anywhere. I'll just wait. :)

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Wow it is unstable at the moment... got my PS3 games downloading, but can't manage to get into the games list from the PSP.

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
Let me get this strait.....
Do we have a month of welcome back in the sense that if I download the games in fifteen days from now, I only will be able to play said games for the remaining fifteen days? Or can I wait till the 3rd of July and download the tokens and have the games till my PS+ account expires?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
You can actually get four free games in total if you have a PSP and PS3. To download, users have to go into the Welcome Back menu, download the Free Game tokens, and then choose their game.
Thanks for mentioning that Tom, I've been wondering about that ever since they put out the list. I will get 4 games :D

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ChillShark said:
Let me get this strait.....
Do we have a month of welcome back in the sense that if I download the games in fifteen days from now, I only will be able to play said games for the remaining fifteen days? Or can I wait till the 3rd of July and download the tokens and have the games till my PS+ account expires?
You keep the free games forever.

Anything you download that's PS+ exclusive goes away when your subscription does, I think.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
For a second I thought the article said it ended on June 3rd which, I'm sure you can imagine, sounded like total horseshit.

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
I allready got LBP as an earlier promotion (PS+ 12-year sub) and with said sub i got Wipeout HD (minus the Fury pack)
so that leaves me 3 choices: Infamous (played almost through at a friends place) Dead Nation (My friend got it, almost completed aswell) and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for booty (EU)
Guess that's R&C + Infamous for me!

Also: I think it's worth noteing this months PSN+ stuff that everyone can get: (atleast for EU)
Burnout Paradice (For some reason it has a 'PSN' on the back of it's name)
Pain
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planewalker (but atm there's an error with the full game upgrade apparently...)
a Dragon theme (kinda cool)
and a bunch of minor stuff that i won't go into detail about.
Point being: People shouldn't dismiss PS+ now that they've gotten the chance to check it out

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Awesome. I'll prolly download them in a bit when the traffic goes down a little to avoid any problems. I was hoping I could get some more free games with the Plus trial, though.

I'm getting Wipeout and Super Stardust since I'm not a big fan of shooters and I already have the other two. I also have LBP on PSP, so I'll get ModNation Racers, but I haven't decided between Pursuit Force or Killzone yet... What do you guys think?