Survey: 1 in 4 Gamers Shows Interest in New Consoles

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Survey: 1 in 4 Gamers Shows Interest in New Consoles

A quarter of gamers said they would buy a new console from Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo if it were released in the next two years.

Nintendo is heavily expected to kick off the next "next generation" of consoles this year at E3 with its mysterious "Project Cafe," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110643-Japanese-Newspaper-Confirms-Wii-2-Controller-Details] but while the Wii (at least) could desperately use some new hardware it's less certain how gamers will react.

A new Neilsen survey attempts to shed light on precisely that, by asking gamers everywhere two questions covering a wide range of platforms: 1.) Do they believe a successor to (Insert Platform Here) will be coming in the next two years, and 2.) Would they be interested in purchasing it within six months of release?

The answers were fairly similar for all of the "Big Three." 47% of people believed that Nintendo's new hardware would show up in the next two years, compared to 40% and 37% for a successor to the Xbox 360 and PS3, respectively. Roughly a quarter of all gamers surveyed said they would buy one of the hypothetical systems within six months of release - 27% for a new Nintendo console, 25% for a new Microsoft console, and 24% for a new Sony console.

18% said they would be interested in purchasing a new gaming-centric iPad, equal to the 18% of gamers who said they would be interested in a hypothetical followup to Nintendo's recent 3DS - which, if you're assuming it's a "3DS Lite" hardware revision, isn't out of the question. In comparison, only 13% of those surveyed said they were interested in Sony's NGP.

While the Wii's successor was marginally ahead in the overall polls, Neilsen found that gamers who owned both a Wii and one of the other consoles were less likely to want to buy Nintendo's next console as they were a successor to its partner: When it came to Wii/Xbox 360 owners, 46% said they would be interested in buying a new Xbox as opposed to only 37% for Nintendo's next showing. The numbers were slightly closer with Wii/PS3 owners, 44% of whom expressed interest in a new PlayStation, against 40% who were interested in the next Wii.

Of course, this is purely theoretical. Real interest will be driven by features, games, and price, which are all completely up in the air at this point.

We'll learn more next week at E3.

(Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35032/Nielsen_Roughly_14_Of_Gamers_Interested_In_New_Consoles.php?])

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I think we're at a unique crossroads in the medium of gaming.

It's no longer really about how good the games look, it's about what you can do.
The same thing has happened in the visual arts. It's no longer about getting the painting to photo realism it's about the expression. I don't particularly care for a new console. Maybe in a few years but two would be too soon.

Push the current gen some more.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I'm happy with this current generations. Companies seem to finally be able to reach the limitations so hopefully they can push the technology as far as they can go before we get a new generation. I'm all for a new PS4 or x-box infinity divided by zero, but I can't afford it. So untill that day, I'd be happy with what I got.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I'd only potentially be interested in a new Nintendo console, and that's only if it seems to do something cool, new and interesting with an impressive lineup of games that I can't get on PC.

I'm curious to see what Nintendo cooks up for its next console, whether I get it or not though. I imagine they'll give me a pleasant surprise or two.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"Real interest will be driven by features, games, and price, which are all completely up in the air at this point."

And that sums up why I think this survey is a waste of time. Sure, lots of people were INTERESTED in the PS3...

INTEREST and WILLINGNESS are two different things.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I'll say the same thing I said last time the new console generation came up...It would behoove the Big 3 to wait until people actually had the cash on hand to blow on new consoles before putting them out.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So, wait... 63% of people believe that Apple will break with their four-years-running tradition and NOT release a new iPod touch/iPhone generation this year? Despite the prevalent rumors concerning features to be included in the presumed iPhone 5?

I think this poll may be fundamentally flawed...

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Futureshop in Canada is having a rather big Xbox 360 related sales until the 5th of June which is right before E3, made a joke of them trying to rid 360 stock before a console launch and the joke didn't seem too far fetched.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I still think that they can get so much more out of this generation of consoles.

Also...YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY MONEY ALIVE!

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
My xbox does the job it needs to, and developers keep pushing limitations forward with each new game, so until we finally hit a dead end wall in what the current gen can achieve, I see no reason why we need new Xbox or Playstation, although I don't think anyone can deny the Wii could do with some upgrades, to at least get it closer to the standards of it's counter parts

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
A quarter of gamers? That seems kind of low to me. I believe the numbers, but I would've hoped the level of interest would be greater. I guess I'm still a little too attached to consoles in general.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
So basically I'm not going to have to upgrade my PC for some time, eh?

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
I think most people suspect that the traditional "whoa!" effect with the graphical presentation is not going to happen.
Maybe the new consoles will have the lowest pricetag ever for new releases and/or are sturdy pieces of machinery again. Something young kids could play with and get it down from the attic in 20 years to play again.

The consoles will have faster hardware. I just hope it wont be built as laughably flimsy as today's consoles.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I don't see why the iPhone and iPod Touch are put there. This is Apple we're talking about. It's a no-brainer that a new hardware iteration will be out every year.

And I don't see a point for the next generation of consoles to come out within the next year or two. For Nintendo, yes, seeing as the Wii is pretty much dead in the water. For the rest, no. There's a lot that can still be done with this current generation of hardware.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Why do Sony and Microsoft even need to put out a new console? The graphics are more then enough as it is, only lack Primary Memory...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I suppose when the next generation rolls around ill buy either one of the Japanese consoles. Depending on which gets the first Monster Hunter title i suppose.

As for M$' contribution... After last time i dont want to think about it.

HankMan said:
I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360 thankyouverymuch!
Until Microsoft cuts support to it.