Kid-Sized Mech Walker for Sale

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kid-Sized Mech Walker for Sale

I wish Japanese companies sold these mechanized robot suits when I was a kid.

Back in the day, I always wanted to drive around in a Power Wheels car. The jingles were just so damn catchy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAkW9aVBDo], but having a miniature car that really drove was reserved for the kids with really rich parents. Still, given the option nowadays, I would forget about that crappy automobile business and splurge on a fully-functional walking robot suit. Japanese robotics company Sakakibara Kikai sells just such a suit for a cool 1,800,000 yen (or $22,239 given today's exchange rate.) That's just a pittance when you consider just how happy you'd make your child if you bought them one of these jalopies.

See? Nothing but smiles! Don't forget the working grabber thing that look strong enough to pick up the mail, if you're lucky!

Ok, so the robot isn't actually walking. It looks like the feet have wheels on the bottom and the legs move back and forth to approximate a walking motion, but hey, who's counting? I'd still love to have my soon to be old enough baby-child proudly ride around in one of these babies.

Anybody know a good line on where I can sell my kidney [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2]?

Source: Sakakibara Kikai [http://www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp/en/en-amusement/en-k-robo.htm]

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
That thing is awesome and I want one, but damn it is loud. I guess I'd have to wear headphones, gain $22,239 and lose about 2.5 feet.

Maybe not such a good plan after all.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Here we go, first it's robot suits then next thing you know, boom! Gundams.

That is an awesome suit though.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Awww fuck. Now telling kids to get off my lawn is going to be quite a... chore.

Zeroandx

Apr 7, 2010
Gentlemen, I an proud to announce that today we are one step closer to our dream.
Our dream of giant weaponized robots.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Yay, so we could like put kids into those and organize underground mecha-kid fights! Aww yeah.

On a more serious note, sweat, tho yeah, the wheels are kind of noticeable and ruuin the impression a bit, i'll wait for actual walkers. I do wonder what's the actual lift power of that one.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
The Diabolical Biz said:
That thing is awesome and I want one, but damn it is loud. I guess I'd have to wear headphones, gain $22,239 and lose about 2.5 feet.

Maybe not such a good plan after all.
Maybe if you sell your kneecaps and eardrums? :D

Angus565

Mar 21, 2009
Looks like a miniature version of one of the robot suits from Aliens.

I approve! when is the adult version out?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I think it is a good investment in your child, in the future piloting mechs will be more important than college.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Angus565 said:
Looks like a miniature version of one of the robot suits from Aliens.

I approve! when is the adult version out?
*Squints* ...that looks EXACTLY like the one Crash Bandicoot uses in Wrath of Cortex.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Where were you when the robotic children took over and forces us into slavery?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
why does this not have miniguns and rocketlaunchers attached? those would make it at least 20% cooler