E3: Microsoft Accidentally Reveals Halo 4

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
E3: Microsoft Accidentally Reveals Halo 4

More Master Chief is on the way, although Microsoft didn't want you to know that just yet.

It seems that Microsoft has accidentally shown its hand for E3, thanks to a page on the Xbox website that went live seemingly a little bit sooner than it was supposed to. Some of the games on the list have already been announced, but plenty more haven't, including a new installment in the Halo series.

Alongside the likes of Gears of War 3 and Star Wars Kinect, Microsoft is ready to announce Halo 4, which will actually be the fifth game in the Halo universe, or sixth if you include ODST. It will presumably answer the question of what happened to Master Chief at the end of Halo 3, although there's a microscopic chance that 343 Industries might decide to go with another character.

Also being show at the Micrsoft's press conference is Modern Warfare 3, and a new Kinect game called Ryse, which will apparently cast players as warriors. There will be more information available when the Microsoft conference starts at 9AM PST.

Source: via NowGamer [http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/6012/e3-2011-microsoft-details-leaked-halo-4-confirmed#media]

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hm... I don't own a 360 but I would like to know what happens to the MC. :)

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
I really, really hate, when developers say they're done with a franchise or an IP and then they just announce a new game. It just shows their greed. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing a new God of War, too.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Alongside the likes of Gears of War 3 and Star Wars Kinect, Microsoft is ready to announce Halo 4, which will actually be the fifth game in the Halo universe, or sixth if you include ODST.
Halo "4" will actually be the sixth game in the series (don't forget Halo Wars!).

The "4" implies it's a direct sequel to Halo 3, particularly since the picture appears to be the Master Chief conversing with Cortana on the
bisected frigate.

In all honesty, I wish Microsoft would have just let the franchise end with Bungie leaving the series. Speaking as a fan, the last thing I want to see is for the series to go the route of Star Wars, where they whore its integrity out for endless sequels and marketing schemes.

EDIT:
Who Dares Wins said:
I really, really hate, when developers say they're done with a franchise or an IP and then they just announce a new game. It just shows their greed. I'm pretty sure we will be seeing a new God of War, too.
Bungie is not making this game. When they announced Reach was their last Halo game, they meant it. This is being developed by 343 Industries, a development team Microsoft created specifically to make more Halo games.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
*Sighs* I really hoped they would stop with three, but nooooo...

Well, actually, they could have stopped with the first one and I'd have been satisfied...but of course they want to milk more out of it. As much as I disliked the ending for Halo 3 (cliffhangers suck), I thought it was nice bookend for the Master Chief as far as the series went (came out of cryo freeze in the first one, went back into cryo freeze in 3). Why ruin that?

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Who Dares Wins said:
Bungie aren't making this. 343 Industries are.

Also, Star Wars Kinect? Wut?

CoDzombieDude

Apr 23, 2010
Who Dares Wins said:
Totally agree with this; reminds me of the old Silent Hill series, which was being made by Team Silent (Which makes sense) but is now being made by an American company and from what I've seen is worse off for it. Nonetheless, will probably buy them to play with my brother.

Anyway, someone must have got a caning for this :p

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Who Dares Wins said:
Bungie aren't making this. 343 Industries are.

Also, Star Wars Kinect? Wut?
I know, I saw it, but they should just let the IP die in peace. It's far better than milking it.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Microsoft!! Leave Halo the hell alone! Bungie gave it a ending, don't screw that up.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Another Halo game? Please no, the story has ended in my eyes. In the same universe though, maybe a possibility, but I think bungie and 343 should really try something new, it's to dependent on Halo

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Microsoft is ready to announce Halo 4, which will actually be the fifth game in the Halo universe, or sixth if you include ODST Halo Wars.
There I fixed it for you.

Didn't we know about this when we learned Bungie was moving on in life and microsoft was going to give the rights to someone else?

Honestly I'm not surprised.