E3: Microsoft Announces Halo 4 (and 5, and 6)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
E3: Microsoft Announces Halo 4 (and 5, and 6)

Microsoft is going to put out Halo 4 next year, but exactly when Halo 5 and Halo 6 are due out isn't certain.

Love it or hate it, the Halo franchise isn't going away any time soon, even now that Bungie's moved on to other projects with Activision Blizzard. Now that gamers have received a breather from the main series games (with ODST and Reach), Microsoft is returning to the core franchise and has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110673-Microsoft-E3-2011-Press-Conference>just announced Halo 4 at its E3 press conference.

[video=3461]

As you can see from the announcement trailer, the game picks up right where Halo 3 left off, with plenty of action awaiting Master Chief as soon as he's awoken from his cryogenic stasis. Exactly what's going on is pretty vague, other than the ship he's on seems to be under attack and the end of the teaser reveals that the damaged vessel is hurtling towards what looks like a large warp gate.

Halo 4 is due out during the Holiday 2012 season, but that's not all. As Steve Butts explains in his summary of the Microsoft press conference, Halo 4 is the first part of "a [new] trilogy. Bet you did't see that coming."

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Jul 22, 2009
I'd still like to see some more spin off games (More ODST, more Halo Wars, maybe something where you play exclusively as the Covenant) but hell I don't care, I love Halo and no doubt I'll buy into this trilogy and the Anniversary Edition.

Here's hoping that 343 can show off some skill, and some good storytelling.

Now, a wave of hate!

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Disgraceful.

(Fine fine, more than one word: This is just sad. I've never been a huge fan of the Halo series, but I thought the ending to game 3 was good. But no, there's money to be had so lets desecrate the corpse of this franchise!)

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Oh, no...here we go again.

Damn you standard-less gaming zombies! The industry continues to pump out, yet even more mediocre games, because you keep supporting the previous ones!
/mini-rant

There really wasn't a need for another one....or three.

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
Im gonna be the bastard on this forum thats going to be different and say I'm actually excited for this. F*** the haters.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Despite not liking the game as a whole I liked the ending to 3. It was satisfying. I don't really see the point of this game, but w/e. I wonder how well this will turn out without bungie.

Also, his escape from the ship was far, far, FAR too smooth.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
If its good then sure why not?
But if they screw this up.
I will be so angry I may write a letter of complaint.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'm interested to see how 343i handles it. I'm still optimistic and will give 343i the benefit of the doubt unless they show otherwise. Here's hoping they continue to reach the bar of quality and community interaction set for the series by Bungie.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
The only real thing that concerns me is who will be doing this project. Giving IPs to another dev is a practice that normally doesn't end well.

REPTILE 0009

Sep 26, 2010
YES! I always welcome another Halo game, no matter what the haters on this site say. I know that this will be an awesome game!

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Dammit. Halo is like Capcom. As much as I dislike their games (*cough*story*cough*whatstory?*cough*) I certainly have a lot of them.
Can't hate them; gotta play them.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
On one hand: Yay new Halo!

On the other hand: They're going to run this into the ground, aren't they?

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
NO.

i love halo, but i buried that franchise with reach.
sTOP MAKING gRABS FOR MY mONEY mIRCOsOFT WITH YOUR zOMBIE GAMES!

sob. now there's going to be a windfall of the "wretched. bland. mediocre" comments. fan-freaking-tastic.

WhatHityou

Nov 14, 2008
So yheah as soo n as I say the ending of halo 3 I called It While I do love halo I'm not going to say yay or nay until I get a better look at what 343 is going to do to it. This could be like when sonic got in the hand of sonic team. (god forbid) It might be an awesome improvement to the series. You can only pass judgement when yah have enough to judge.

I am excited though

And on another not I'm also gonna totally call the plot point where said giant warp gate is the ONLY way home and when they get there it's going to be a planet of the apes moment where tones of time has passed and everything is different.

ALSO MOAR JETPACKS!

also he used a grenade launching pistol!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
hmm, well that could be interesting but Im willing to bet it wont be, be nice if the arbiter showed up tho, I always liked him the elites had so much more personality then the humans did, at least in halo 2

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Captain Placeholder said:
Marudas said:
Disgraceful.

(Fine fine, more than one word: This is just sad. I've never been a huge fan of the Halo series, but I thought the ending to game 3 was good. But no, there's money to be had so lets desecrate the corpse of this franchise!)
Um, no one EVER said that Halo was going to end. All that was said was that BUNGIE was quitting (Possibly temporary) and they actually helped Microsoft to create 343 Studios to continue Halo.

Stop crying.
Crying, oooh you're a clever one. I've long since stopped caring about Halo. The first game was good, the second game brought some improvements, and since its declined into utter stagnation.

The game is a bland shooter, but at least it was treated with enough dignity and respect by Bungie to get a couple of good games out of it. When the original developer of something says "done", you don't dig it up and try to make money off it. Microsoft could just have easily made a new FPS of some kind, the only reason they're jumping on Halo is because they know that every fanboy will be compelled to buy it. The series's main storyline came to a close, and it worked. There is no reason to add further exposition.

That's about as far as I'm going to get involved in this quagmire.