EA: Battlefield 3 Multi-Platform Beta in September

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EA: Battlefield 3 Multi-Platform Beta in September

At the Electronic Arts press conference, Battlefield 3 finally got its release date and multi-platform beta details.

The Swedes are never late. They arrive with a new iteration of Battlefield precisely when they mean to. EA announced today that Battlefield 3 will release into the wild on October 25th on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and that they will organize a massive beta program in September for all its platforms. Get your modem waxed.

The catch is that to ensure your place in the beta now, you have to buy a Medal of Honor Limited Edition, but that restricted may be lifted once the beta revs up.

As most shooters, the game will feature a campaign and a substantial online multiplayer. DICE used its new Frostbite 2 engine to make it look so purty, so that should make PC gamers happy. In addition, PC players will be able to play against 64 players simultaneously in Battlefield 3.

Oddly enough, there was no comment on dedicated servers ...

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'll be optimistic and assume that DICE and EA ignored talking about Dedicated Servers because they figure its a given to include them, and they don't feel the need to patronize their fanbase. They did enough of that by announcing a return to 64 player combat. Thank you DICE.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
well that one person who brought medal of honor limited edition must feel really good right now :)

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I will cry tears of rage if there is no dedicated server support... just saying.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Greg Tito said:
The Swedes are never late. They arrive with a new iteration of Battlefield precisely when they mean to.
Lord of the Rings reference much? :p

Anyway i'm looking forward to the beta, as I quite enjoyed the BC2 beta, playing with friends.

Edit: Hang on, didn't they say it was an open beta? Multiplatform?

So why do we need the Medal of Honour Limited Edition crap?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Why the limited edition of Medal of Honor? How about anyone who supported the darn game in general. This limited edition stuff makes me sigh since you can only really get them at stores, where I prefer digital copies.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bretty said:
I will cry tears of rage if there is no dedicated server support... just saying.
its probably one of those things that they didnt feel the need to mention since they know how important it is, I mean if pc players can have 64 players a match then you know its got dedicated servers, Ill bet it will have a similar type deal as bad company 2 had, where ea owns all the servers but people can rent them

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
The Swedes are never late. They arrive with a new iteration of Battlefield precisely when they mean to. EA announced today that Battlefield 3 will release into the wild on October 25th on the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, and that they will organize a massive beta program in September for all its platforms. Get your modem waxed.

That's my birthday! So I'm totally pumped for this.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
YES even though it will probably take years to download with my crappy internet for only about two days of multiplayer, AMAZING nultiplayer

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Totally checking this out on PC and 360, see how well my new rig will handle the game and if it doesn't too well, how the 360 plays and who'll be getting it on there.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Any word on how big the battles will be on the consoles? Because I tried to play the last few Bad companies on my 360 and really liked CoD better since it felt like in multiplayer battles things were actually happening.

I always thought the weapons, vehicles and everything were more polished and balanced in BF compared to CoD but either the maps were too big or the consoles needed to support more players for it to be fun.

Every game of the conquest mode (with the different flags to capture) seemed just to be sprints or drives across the map to where the enemy HAD been and captured your base while you were capturing theirs.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
I won't buy this or MW3 before i see reviews. I don't want to waste money on something that may not completely satisfy my multiplayer needs. Also, there may be a uber-prestige edition of Mass Effect 3, so i better get some money ready.

binvjoh said:
Pretty sure dedicated servers were confirmed a long time ago.
Yeah, i clearly remember them openly bragging about it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Awesome... there had better be prone though. It rubbed me the wrong way when they took it out of BC2. Someone tried explaining to me they had to because of X,Y and Z. But that was all bullshit. Then they kept the bipods on some guns like they were taunting me. Still Awesome.

InsaneOne10

Feb 9, 2010
Serving UpSmiles said:

That's my birthday! So I'm totally pumped for this.
Same here, I was excited for another proper Battlefield game (though this has SP) but now I'm more excited.