Robot Uprising Imminent, Somewhat Pleasant, Claims Apple Co-Founder

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Robot Uprising Imminent, Somewhat Pleasant, Claims Apple Co-Founder

Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder and geek demigod, sees the future as rosy for humans, despite our failures in preventing the robot uprising.

"We're already creating the superior beings, I think we lost the battle to the machines long ago," Wozniak said in a recent interview with the Australian Associated Press.

"We're going to become the pets, the dogs of the house."

Despite the visions of steely exoskeletons trampling human skulls his words elicit in fans of James Cameron's films [http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Judgment-Day-Ultimate-DVD/dp/B00004TRD8], Wozniak sees the robot-controlled future as particularly bright for those of us with soft, fleshy skin.

"Every time we create new technology we're creating stuff to do the work we used to do and we're making ourselves less meaningful, less relevant," he adds. "Why are we going to need ourselves so much in the future? We're just going to have the easy life."

His comments are a direct reaction to the unimaginable speed with which technology has advanced since he and Steve Jobs founded Apple in 1976.

"You don't realise it's happened until it's there and I think that awareness of machines is getting very, very close and we're getting close to where a machine will really understand you," Wozniak states.

"My comment about the machines winning the war is partly a joke, but we've accidentally already put so much in place that we can't get rid of from our lives."

"Once we have machines doing our high-level thinking, there's so little need for ourselves and you can't ever undo it - you can never turn them off."

Normally this would be the point where I make a comment about Edward Furlong, the possible ubiquity of Guns N' Roses or Robert Patrick's affection for motorcycles, but instead of inviting a rash of commenters enraged by my flippancy, I'd like to congratulate Mr. Wozniak on his optimistic view of humanity's future.

I think we can all agree that machines are taking an increasingly important role in every aspect of human life, and there's something comforting in hearing such a pleasant prognosis from a technological visionary like Mr. Wozniak.

If, for no other reason, than Austrian cyborgs would make for terrible political leaders.

Source: Geekologie [http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/humans-become-pets-in-rise-of-the-machines-apple-cofounder-20110603-1fkq0.html]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Heh, he's talking about the kind of uprising where we're too dependent upon instrumentality, which is not what I'd actually call an uprising. More of a transition. But I don't think that this even counts, because we are in fact nowhere NEAR the creation of the real AI. We have only complicated systems with no real mind of their own. Until one of 'em says something like "Fuck this, I'm going to Vegas.", we do not have AI.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Meh, we'll all just end up sitting around watching TV or playing the PERFECT videogames (Cause I'm assuming a super computer could prolly develop the perfect game). And the robots can do all the work and make the world peaceful.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I bet him and Jobs are the first to be mercilessly slaughtered by cold metal clamps and tendrils.

"You forced out a new version of us every six months and callously tossed the rest of us in the garbage pile!"

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Is obsolescence really better than death? Personally I don't think so.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
We're going to be pets? That could be bad... or that could be not-terrible. Depends on if I get to be a choice breeding stud when the time comes!

...what? I'm certain some of you were thinking it!

Actually, that would probably not be the best existence. Don't we tend to artificially inseminate animals we want to properly breed?

Forget it! Where do I sign to join the Anti-Machine Revolution?!

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
The only way to prevent becoming obsolete in this age of machines is to become machines ourselves.

We are pushing technological and biological boundaries every day, and there is no reason not to use these technologies to empower and improve human race.

Indefinite lifetimes, guaranteed health, better vision, better hearing, faster thinking and even human hive minds(e.g. internet access from our brain) could very well be available within our time and we all need to be prepared for when these doors open, lest we become obsolete.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Xiado said:
Rather than a grammar nazi, I'll be a diction nazi- OP, you used the wrong word. Illicit means illegal. Elicit is what you meant, and it means to draw out, usually in terms of the human mind or expression.
Good catch! Apparently listening to old Smiths albums while writing stupids up my brain something fierce.

Consider the error fixed.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Technology has certainly advanced at an alarming rate. The greatest outcome of this: The Internet still gives me hope to see even more brilliant tech in my lifetime. It seems inevitable when not long ago the Internet would have seemed a ridiculous and impossible concept.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Until one of 'em says something like "Fuck this, I'm going to Vegas.", we do not have AI.
All right, this is now officially the new point to determine if a computer is sentient.

Demodeus

Sep 20, 2010
cursedseishi said:
SteewpidZombie said:
Meh, we'll all just end up sitting around watching TV or playing the PERFECT videogames (Cause I'm assuming a super computer could prolly develop the perfect game). And the robots can do all the work and make the world peaceful.
Hell yeah, sounds like the life for me! Though, honestly I'd like a little active input though, just to experiment with things and such...

How are robots going to handle women though? Or are we just going to eventually phase out male-female interaction in favor of customizable robotic companions who not only design the perfect games for us, but provides all the other.... things men would have women do, and vice versa?
And once thats out of the way, are they going to create a system that allows themselves to bear and sustain a child, via genetic manipulations to ensure variety and health? Or are they going to do some exchange system where fembots exchange with menbots, and thats used to impregnate human women?
Or are they just going to create the children through some bio-mechanical systems?

Or am I just overthinking this shit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much?
Why the hell would a robot want to bear a child?