EA E3 2011 Press Conference

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
EA E3 2011 Press Conference

Electronic Arts press conference at E3 2011 was long on sports, but short on substance.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
"...and a big focus on free social platforms as a new, central feature."

And there you have it folks EA's first official shot at Activision's Call of Duty Elite.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
HankMan said:
God have I been missing a melee weapon in Mass Effect. Head butting Krogans may look cool, but I wish the ringing in my ears would go away.
That bit in ME2, I was like, Surely Shep is gonna be knocked out from that.

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
Much better show than Mircosoft's. Glad Mass Effect 3 finally has a release date, and SSX looks amazing! Might even get Battlefield 3 over MW3. Good show EA.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Mass Effect looked like a Michael bay movie. Yuk.

Battlefield 3 looked STUNNING. I do wonder if COD will be knocked off it's pretty little throne.

Otherwise, uninteresting.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well hopefully they won't make you headbutt using Kinect, I can just imagine the broken televisions...

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Canadish said:
Battlefield 3 looked STUNNING. I do wonder if COD will be knocked off it's pretty little throne.
The graphics were astounding, sure, but the gameplay is the reason Battlefield has never caught on like Call of Duty. They need to make sure the controls are as smooth as CoD's, something no other FPS has yet to achieve.

Even if they manage to nail the smooth controls, the fast arcade-style gameplay of CoD still has a LOT more mass appeal than Battlefield's slower more tactical gameplay. Vehicles don't help their cause, either.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
EA was an interesting conference, about a C for me, if only because they dawdled way too much on the sports games. My thoughts are thus;

Mass Effect 3: Looks good, but I am a little worried about it. We've seen so much action, but we haven't seen any of the slower sides in ME3. We get it, the combat is improved, can we see the more substantial choices we have to make?
Need For Speed: I laughed out loud when we saw the on-foot sections, it is literally just one big quick time event. Racing looks fantabulous, but the running on foot was absolutely hilariously stupid.
SSX: About damn time! Absolutely loved the SSX games and I am so happy that they are bringing it back. I just wish they spent more time on it rather than some stupid FIFA game, which I will get to next.
FIFA through Madden: Don't give a crap. Where's my SSX, damnit?
Overstrike: Colorful visuals, crazy weaponry, and bundle all that together with that Insomniac style humor. What is not to love?
Battlefield 3: That demo went forever and all we saw was tanks tanks and more tanks. Still neato, but a little variety or maybe a shorter demo to wrap things up would have been nice.

Overall, a pretty decent conference. Loved some of those anouncements, but some parts went straight into "Dont-give-a-crap-ville" for way too long.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I thought the EA conference was okay. Mass Effect 3 still looks good and now has a release date, which is nice(honestly they'd have to do something really bad to make me not want that game). I don't understand why you would make a racing game that periodically decides it wants to break up the racing action with quick time events. During the EA sports section I left the room to get some ice cream, I heard them going on about Fifa and I knew I made the right decision. Overstrike looks like it could be fun, but I'll decide how I really feel when I see gameplay. Battlefield 3 looks really good and the engine it is running on looks amazing. The thing I'm surprised about is how they're releasing it only 2 weeks before CoD. Whatever their reasoning for their release date is I still look forward to participating in the beta.