E3: Resistance 3, With and Without Move

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3: Resistance 3, With and Without Move

How does Resistance 3 fare both with and without the PlayStation Move motion controller?

Resistance 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Resistance-3-Playstation/dp/B003O6E67A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307426086&sr=8-1] is one of Sony's most heralded exclusives, so the company obviously brought the game to E3 this year. It just also happened to bring a bunch of PlayStation Move controllers with which to control the game, and announced a Resistance 3 Move bundle featuring the Move rifle attachment and all associated Move accessories. The big question is, how does the game work with Move?

First, I feel the need to talk about how Resistance 3 plays without Move. Using a standard Dual Shock controller, Resistance 3 plays great. The level Sony allowed us to play was a small fenced-off yard with a couple of buildings, one of them multi-level, and a bunch of obstacles with cover such as abandoned cars. It was basically an arena fight with Chimera pouring in from all ends and the player having to defend his position and squad. Air transports dropped Chimera off on rooftops, and also climbed in over fences. They weren't overly tough, but they were relentless.

I could use two different weapons in the demo, an assault rifle type and a powerful magnum type, in addition to grenades and melee. Taking down Chimera made them explode with blood, especially after nailing a headshot with the magnum. Meleeing up close isn't recommended, as the Chimera are pretty damn ugly, but it works. The level felt a lot like what we've seen from Resistance in the past, with constant streams of enemies and you wondering how much longer you'll have to survive against them.

Which is all well and good, until Move got involved. I admit I didn't spend much time with the Move rifle attachment, but to be completely honest I didn't enjoy it. You have to hold the gun with the stock up to your shoulder and it felt uncomfortable for me. I like to hold gun peripherals in varying positions for games that support them. In addition, navigating the game world with Move just seemed pointless. Aiming side-to-side by moving the reticule to the edges of the screen was inaccurate. Trying to get to cover and aim at enemies was a chore. The only good part was that all of the buttons for reloading and swapping weapons were handily within reach on the rifle. After using a Dual Shock to play Resistance 3, I don't see why you'd try Move. Again, I had a short experience with the peripheral. Maybe your experience will be different, but that was mine.

I basically got the impression that people who enjoyed the earlier Resistance titles will want to look into this one too. It'll be good for more Chimera-shootin' action. Just think twice about that Move bundle.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
When I played Killzone 3 with the move, after I got the controls the way I liked them, I could honestly say that I preferred it over a controller. I simply like the ability to swing my arm and turn 180 degrees in a split second a la PC fps. If the move really does come out as good for Resistance 3 as it did with Killzone 3, I will definitely throw the controller aside.

Side note: I hope the resolution is better in this game, because I felt that Resistance 2's resolution sucked, and gave me a headache at times.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Did they let you try it without the Sharpshooter accessory? I loved Killzone 3 with the Move, but I played with just the Move and Navigation controllers sat in my lap. No Sharpshooter for me, it looked rather uncomfortable. Plus it was way more expensive than I felt it was worth.

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Hang on, is the ps3 now making the same mistakes of the wii with motion control shooters.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
When I played Killzone 3 with the move, after I got the controls the way I liked them, I could honestly say that I preferred it over a controller. I simply like the ability to swing my arm and turn 180 degrees in a split second a la PC fps. If the move really does come out as good for Resistance 3 as it did with Killzone 3, I will definitely throw the controller aside.
Effectively this, also im not springing for a rifle attatchment anymore.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Hm well that's good for me since I wasn't planning on getting any move bundles in the near future. Controllers ftw.

It certainly makes me happy that Resistance 3 is shaping up to be a damn good game

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I play Socom 4 with the Move Sharpshooter and it actually works well once you get used to it?