E3: Fable: The Journey

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3: Fable: The Journey

Decide right now how much you like looking at horse butt.

Peter Molyneux can sell anything. Anything. His ability to make you share his vision and believe every last word coming out of his mouth borders on magical. Yet even he was unable to convince me that Kinect title Fable: The Journey is anything other than a really dumb idea.

Though it takes place in the Fable universe, The Journey is not actually connected to that series of games. It has nothing to do with The Hero, or the revolution that took place in Fable 3, though Theresa the seer does appear in it. Perhaps that's why it's not being developed by the Fable team; the crew from Milo & Kate (aka Project Milo) are in charge instead.

The demo was assembled for the purposes of E3 and so doesn't show off the game itself, but we got to see the basics of the Kinect-powered gameplay. You play as a mage driving a horse and carriage, who picks up Theresa as she's running from forces unknown. You play in first-person view, and although you will occasionally leave the carriage to move around on foot, you'll spend most of your time in the driver's seat, which presumably means you're going to spend a lot of time looking at your horse's rump. But you'd best regard that rump with affection, because horse is the new dog. You'll be "setting up a relationship" with your horse pal, and can upset him if you whip him too hard or treat him too cruelly.

One thing that Molyneux really wanted to emphasize was that The Journey could be played comfortably - something not altogether true of many Kinect titles. You are, after all, seated in the game, so it makes sense that you can be seated as you play. The gestures you use to steer your horse are fairly small and relaxed, and even the moves you use to work your magic are pretty low-key. Pushing your hand out throws a ball of energy, while bringing your hands together in a circle slows time. Squishing your palms together allows you to change your magic energy into something else - the demo was a bit vague on this point, but it seemed as though the spell became stronger. You'll supposedly also be able to use creation magic to make items out of thin air. Move your hands apart to make a telescope, or stop by the river and create a fishing rod, or if you find yourself in a fight, whip up a shield. It's the lone interesting concept the demo had to offer, and naturally we didn't get to see it.

You'll need to absorb Life Energy in order to gain new magical abilities, and though you can find some in rocks, you can also suck it out of living things. Draw out too much and you'll kill the donor, which might have an impact on how people react to you. The Journey will apparently have a similar approach to morality as the other Fable games, though probably to a much lesser extent.

Molyneux kept repeating how The Journey was all about giving you control, so you feel like this powerful magic user, but that wasn't the feeling I had coming out of the demo. If it didn't have the Fable name attached to it, The Journey would be utterly forgettable. But instead it's just kind of baffling. Who is this game for? Fable's simplified combat was already aimed at more casual players - did it need to be Kinectified? There's also the fact that The Journey doesn't relate to the rest of the games at all, so it ends up feeling, well, disconnected.

Despite their flaws, I've always been a fan of the Fable games, but I simply don't understand the point of The Journey. Perhaps my impression will change once we get to see the actual game itself. Perhaps we won't really spend that much time staring at a horse's ass.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
I'm not listening lalalalalallalala.

This seems nice, but I don't trust crafty ol' Peter anymore.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
It's there to make money. Lionhead are owned by Microsoft, and are also the publishers. It's no doubt they want to push kinect on it, and knowing Peter Molyneux's ability to say how amazing and innovative a game is no matter what people will still probably fall for it.

It just seems like Mircosoft are trying to hard to push kinect

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Perhaps that's why it's not being developed by the Fable team; the crew from Milo & Kate (aka Project Milo) are in charge instead.
Say what?!? Then why have Peter come out to do the plug at all? To degrade his plausibility ever further? On the bright side though, I'm happy to hear this nonsense will have no connection to the main fable series at all. It better not... *shakes fist*. Of course that makes the whole situation all the more baffling.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
It sounds like a step in a direction at least rather than just releasing that Kinect sports minigame thing again. Meh i still don't have any intention of flat out wasting £200 on Kinect anyway...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
The Journey will apparently have a similar approach to morality as the other Fable games, though probably to a much lesser extent.
So black or white decisions on complete opposite ends of the spectrum, got it.
Susan Arendt said:
I simply don't understand the point of The Journey
It's simple really, gives Microsoft an excuse to not only release another Fable game, but to try and get them to buy Kinects too, assuming they haven't already bought one. I'm still not convinced that a Kinect can offer any more than sports games, fitness games or rail games. We'll probably have to rely on the Kinect hacks for anything cool.
After so many years, Peter's ramblings have become white noise to me.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
Zac Smith said:
It's there to make money. Lionhead are owned by Microsoft, and are also the publishers. It's no doubt they want to push kinect on it, and knowing Peter Molyneux's ability to say how amazing and innovative a game is no matter what people will still probably fall for it.

microsoft have alot of money riding on the kinect
if it doesn't sell they'll be at a horrific loss

looks pretty preposterous
all the good faith from fable and the fanboying were pissed away by fable 3

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
fates_puppet13 said:
Zac Smith said:

Isn't that their fault for jumping on the motion control band wagon rather then trying to innovate in their own way. Copying innovation kind of misses the point right?

I feel that at least with fable III they started to have a few steps in the right direction, at least compared to fable II in my eyes

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Peter Molyneux can sell anything. Anything. His ability to make you share his vision and believe every last word coming out of his mouth borders on magical."

I find that looking at the Fable games shakes that effect off pretty sharpish.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I like that it's not connected to the 'main' Fable story. It does seem like a small spin-off game, but if I go in expecting it to be such, then I'll probably enjoy it more.

The horse is a good idea - lets the fact that you're sitting down feel more natural and you can stop and direct it with your hands which would be weird if you were a walking character. I'm hoping you can ride ON the horse and that the facial recognition technology means that turning your head will turn the character's view around.. even if only a little. The impression I have so far is (hopefully mistaken) a sort of on-rails adventure + kinect, which would be less fun.

The magic should be interesting and fighting in first person is probably going to have me putting walls at my back a lot. Er, if there ARE walls. If I can get off the darn horse.

Hmm.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
Zac Smith said:
fates_puppet13 said:
Zac Smith said:

Isn't that their fault for jumping on the motion control band wagon rather then trying to innovate in their own way. Copying innovation kind of misses the point right?

I feel that at least with fable III they started to have a few steps in the right direction, at least compared to fable II in my eyes
fable 2 was better from a mechanics perspective

and you're right it is their fault
but guess who is gonna suffer for it

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
fates_puppet13 said:
Zac Smith said:
fates_puppet13 said:
Zac Smith said:

fable 2 was better from a mechanics perspective

and you're right it is their fault
but guess who is gonna suffer for it
Oh of course we are, anything goes wrong in the games industry it always ends badly for the consumers. What can we do? Buy kinect just so we don't get another video game crash?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
So we can play the game from a sitting position? That...kinda defeats the purpose of motion controls if you ask me. What I'd rather do is play a mage that's not got his ass stuck to carriage for 90% of the game. The hand gestures sound like a cool way of casting spells along with the item creation system. Though it sounds like it falls short by mere virtue of what the core game mechanic is.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
fates_puppet13 said:
What do you mean "if" it doesn't sell? The thing went out like gangbusters... Guinness has it pegged as the fastest selling consumer device, faster than iphone & wii. The ship has already sailed, folks. Kinect has been a resounding success, and like it or not, it's here to stay.

I'll admit MS is in a prickly spot, though. You can't get AAA Kinect games without letting devs work through some growing pains. And that means the really awesome games won't appear until the ho-hum and less than mediocre ones do.

Personally, I don't get why The Journey is getting so much hate. Maybe it's because I opted to pass on Fable 3, so my last memory of the series is Fable 2.

But even then, when it drops to $10-15 (and it will), I'd buy this purely for the spellcasting. The demo made it look absolutely fantastic.

Star Wars Kinect, on the other hand... that just looks bad from start to finish. THAT is the game people should be hating on.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
No way in hell i'm buying a kinect to play what looked like a 1st person railway action adventure.
I mean, sure an opportunity to feel like i'm a magic flinging badass is hard to pass up, but still.

No sale, Molyneux, not this time.