Activision: Singularity Demo "Absolutely Critical"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Activision: Singularity Demo "Absolutely Critical"

Activision's producer on sci-fi timeshift FPS Singularity says that it is "absolutely critical" for the game to have a demo to woo would-be buyers.

Stop me if you've heard this one: Singularity is a sci-fi FPS that features a military protagonist who has the power to manipulate time. Sound like a FPS you've played recently? Sound like every FPS you've played recently?

The sci-fi FPS market is one that became saturated a long time ago - and nobody knows that more than the folks at Raven Software who are developing Singularity in the first place. Yet Kekoa Lee-Creel, the game's producer, thinks that Singularity's time-based gameplay - that gives the main character powers to speed up or rewind time on specific objects - will sell itself to gamers ... as long as they try it first.

"The shooter market is saturated, it's tough to break in right now when there's a lot of great, well-established franchises," Lee-Creel told Develop [http://www.developmag.com/news/32206/Singularity-demo-absolutely-critical-says-Activision]. "We're definitely on track to release a demo ... That's absolutely critical. It's so hard to convey how a game feels, but I have confidence that once we can cross that threshold I think we're good."

I have to confess, the sentiment is almost refreshing. More games should have demos. Demos are a good thing. For one, they totally negate the excuse pirates throw out about wanting to try a game before you buy it.

At any rate, I wish Raven Software luck. If they can set themselves out from the increasingly-generic pack, they'll probably be more successful by showing how fun it is to make enemy soldiers instantly age and decompose to dust, rather than telling.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ravensoft. Weren't they responsible for Quake 4?

If nothing else that's a good sign, Quake 4 was a laugh.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Looking forward to the demo.

I definitely agree that more games should have demos - I was sorely disappointed at the lack of E3 demos on XBL.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
I'm asi and I heartly approve this message.(thou pirates will always find some pathtic excuse to steal, becuase they suck. And yes, if you pirate, YOU suck)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Cool, they make good games. I mean Raven, because Activision is filled with a bunch of hypocrites who didn't give us Prototype demo. Oh well, I pirated it, and I'm buying as soon as my God damn country has a release. July 3rd. I hate Poland, I really do.

Oh, and I do hope they make it better than Timeshift was. Like, less irritating, less generic, easier usage of time-changing mechanics... Just a better game.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Raven has never let me down, since CyClones, probably the most innovative FPS I ever played, (1994) and Heretic to STV:EF, to Quake 4.

They certainly have low points and high points, but I have very very high hopes for this game, and Wolfenstein might be great too. But anyway, this is about Singularity.

I have been awaiting this hoping it is the gem that takes us out of the dark age of terrible "OH MY GAME HAS A TIME MECHANIC TOO, PRESS R TO SLOW EVERYTHING DOWN!"

Singularity looked interesting. Rewinding time to before a wall was built to walk through it. Rewinding people back hundreds of thousands of years to amoebas to kill something.

It can be good, and I'd love to play a demo, and I hope they finish it before someone else comes along and steals their idea and makes it better. ;P