E3: Wii U Lineup Impresses

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
E3: Wii U Lineup Impresses

Nintendo courted several third party publishers for new system.

It goes without saying that when Nintendo launches a new console that it will have some Mario titles. No one is that surprised that Nintendo announced that there is Super Smash Bros. in development, both for the Wii U and the 3DS, but some other titles raised some eyebrows.

Darksiders 2 is a Wii U launch game. And Batman Arkham City will also be ported to Nintendo's new console. But that's not where the list ends, there will also be Dirt, Aliens Colonial Marines, Ghost Recon Online, Metro Last Light, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3 ... And they all look as good as they do on the PS3, if eye-witness accounts from the show floor are to be believed.

John Riccitello, CEO of EA, even took the stage to show his company's games on the Wii U. Madden will get some "innovative" play calling on the touch screen, and Battlefield 3 will look the purty. Online multiplayer will be better and have more support both from the Nintendo and the publishers. The boss of Electronic Arts basically puts his stamp on Nintendo's new console and says that he will support it 100 percent.

As for first party titles, those look pretty good too. Super Mario Bros. Mii will let you play the game as your Mii, which sounds a little weird. There is also a shield game, where you block arrows and Chase Mii which looks like a sort of tag. Lego City Stories shows Lego guys and vehicles in a huge open city, and the game is for both 3DS and Wii U.

All in all, Nintendo's lineup is impressive.

More information on the Wii U is here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110750-E3-Nintendos-New-Console-Is-The-WiiU]

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Wii U..... Really? Really?!

That's it, I am definitely building a gaming PC now.

..joking aside, I need a Star Fox game to get interested.

Myrph

Proud owner of a Jamtroller
Oct 27, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Darksiders 2 is a Wii U launch game.
So the new Nintendo console is going to be launching with a Zelda game. That is totally awesome. Too bad I doubt I'll have the money to pick this up at launch...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well the name is kinda stupid but Im liking the launch line up

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Impressive? I guess to people who only play on Nintendo consoles. The rest of us have been playing these games for a half a decade.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Worst console name ever, hands down.

That tablet controller invoked my gag reflex. I'm not sure how you play a shooter with a controller that shape, with sticks placed that awkwardly. It just doesn't add up for me.

I also have a bad taste in my mouth from the Wii. I bought it for Smash Bros, and ended up not buying a single other game for it before I sold it a year later. I don't want to get burned on another gimmicky casual console from Nintendo.

The Lawn

Apr 11, 2008
All I'm gonna say, if we have to play those games on a huge book of a controller I'm skipping on this generation of Nintendo.

That is unless a 3rd party makes a good controller for it, or if I end up making my own.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
John Riccitello is such a joke. First he blasts Microsoft for having Ice-T as a special guest during their show. Then he has THREE football players as a special guest during his company's show. And then HE HIMSELF is a special guest during Nintendo's show. Guy really ought to learn to just stop bashing other companies.

Also, I am sad that as soon as they said "WiiU", I could already hear the Nintendo haters calling it "PiiU". :(

Anyway, the controller looks weird. I wonder if it'll be comfortable. It just seems so large and looks like it had DS sized buttons. They probably are bigger though and it was just the TV playing tricks on me.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
I'm a little concerned about controller weight, the name is unbelievably stupid, and I would've loved to see a new Metroid title (one to make up for the horrors of Other M...), but overall I'm pretty impressed. The system seems pretty versatile, and it looks like this time Nintendo might be serious about going after hardcore gamers and third party support.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Nintendo Wins forever.
My body was not ready.
OK, what's with that? You and Audrey from IGN got some body thing goin' on I don't know about?

I know, I'm the least cool person here.

HDi

Aug 23, 2010
Low Key said:
Impressive? I guess to people who only play on Nintendo consoles. The rest of us have been playing these games for a half a decade.
You've been playing Arkham City for half a decade? That is impressive.

sorry - I'll quit being a dick now

Dafttechno

May 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
WiiU Lineup Impresses

As for first party titles, those look pretty good too. Super Mario Bros. Mii will let you play the game as your Mii, which sounds a little weird. There is also a shield game, where you block arrows and Chase Mii which looks like a sort of tag.
It was stressed several times that those weren't actual games, just tech demos.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
mjc0961 said:
John Riccitello is such a joke. First he blasts Microsoft for having Ice-T as a special guest during their show. Then he has THREE football players as a special guest during his company's show. And then HE HIMSELF is a special guest during Nintendo's show. Guy really ought to learn to just stop bashing other companies.

Also, I am sad that as soon as they said "WiiU", I could already hear the Nintendo haters calling it "PiiU". :(

Anyway, the controller looks weird. I wonder if it'll be comfortable. It just seems so large and looks like it had DS sized buttons. They probably are bigger though and it was just the TV playing tricks on me.
Remember, a lot of the reasoning behind the size/shape of the gamecube controller had to do with the smaller size of Japanese hands. I'm sure the controller won't be too big or bulky to be comfortable.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
funguy2121 said:
Gigaguy64 said:
Nintendo Wins forever.
My body was not ready.
OK, what's with that? You and Audrey from IGN got some body thing goin' on I don't know about?

I know, I'm the least cool person here.
Its a joke from last E3.
Reggie said something like "His body was ready for it".
And it just caught on.