Episode 8: "The Pointy End"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Episode 8: "The Pointy End"

Armies assemble in the bid for family and the Iron Throne.

Read Full Article

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
I love how the episodes are so faithful to the novels. God this series is good.
Sucks that Sean Bean won't be in the episodes soon

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
While i love this series to bits, how in the hell are they going to pull of the 2nd book without at least doubling the budget?

The first book sometimes reads as if the author had a tv budget in mind (only one actual battle, very narrow perceptions by the characters, no magic, emphasis on dialogs) but the second one goes balls out on expensive set pieces... I can't imagine how HBO is gonna realise it.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, this episode kind of felt like a filler, just making the wait longer before, what I'm hoping, will be a good large bloody battle...and also crossing fingers that they pull it off production wise if that happens.

Some stuff kind of caught me off guard when watching this. I completely forgot how many soldiers Lannisters had, so the whole "we have 20000 men" just meant nothing to me while watching the episode. If I was watching this back to back instead of weekly, that probably wouldn't be a problem, but still...
Also, and I know they show Westeros map in the intro, but I totally lost track of where the Vale was and that it was called Riverun, all they ever repeat is the "knights of the vale this and that".
The lack of sense of time also didn't help. I don't need subtitles of what time it is in every scene, but when showing character plot lines, they seem completly out of linear timelines - Tyron went walking and somehow reached the Lannister camp when they're already ready to fight Rob, while Catelyn left at a different time (much later, but on horses) and met Rob who already assembled a camp full of soldiers, but in a different scene Riverun is almost under siege...freakin' hell that's hard to track if you don't know what's going to happen.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Thomas Rembrandt said:
While i love this series to bits, how in the hell are they going to pull of the 2nd book without at least doubling the budget?

The first book sometimes reads as if the author had a tv budget in mind (only one actual battle, very narrow perceptions by the characters, no magic, emphasis on dialogs) but the second one goes balls out on expensive set pieces... I can't imagine how HBO is gonna realise it.
The shows been doing pretty well ratings wise. I'm sure that even if they don't get a complete doubling in their budget it'll be increased for season two.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Arya made her first kill, hooray!

this is a thread for people who have seen the episode already, right?

v3nge

Mar 15, 2011
>>>SPOILER<<<

Imo Syrio shouldn't have been defeated, I was expecting him to grab one of the other guys real swords and pwn that guy any second.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
anian said:
Also, and I know they show Westeros map in the intro, but I totally lost track of where the Vale was and that it was called Riverun, all they ever repeat is the "knights of the vale this and that".
Riverrun is the main city of the riverlands, which is the central area of the seven kingdoms. It's also the seat of House Tully.

The Vale is the eastern kingdom, it's main stronghold is the Eyrie, seat of House Arryn.

these are two separate locations.

anian said:
Tyron went walking and somehow reached the Lannister camp when they're already ready to fight Rob, while Catelyn left at a different time (much later, but on horses) and met Rob who already assembled a camp full of soldiers, but in a different scene Riverun is almost under siege.
When Tyrion joins up with his father, Tywin's army is more-or-less in the same area where Tyrion was first taken captive by Cat...which is where the north/south Kingsroad crosses the east/west trail that leads in to(and out of) the Vale.

Robb's army is at Moat Caitlin, which is much farther north(it's the southern most staging area in the north.) Cat reaches it quickly because she doesn't take the road(which would deliver her right into Tywin's camp), she takes a ship from gulltown(vale's port) to white harbour(north's port) and then rides back down to Moat Caitlin.

this has been an issue before, the same thing happened when Cat went to King's Landing..there's no explanation how she got there that fast, practically beating Ned there even though she left weeks later. But the book has a whole chapter about her trip by sea which sadly goes unmentioned in the show.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Aaah, I see, thanks for that explanations.
But yeah, even if I was left with some senses of geography and time, the part about Cat taking a different way back, would've thrown me off. Maybe it was mentioned, but if you've not read the book, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have noticed the imporatnce of that. So, thanks again. They could have (or maybe they will) change the intro so they show that part of the land instead of the whole entire area...or at least that would be nice.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
anian said:
Aaah, I see, thanks for that explanations.
But yeah, even if I was left with some senses of geography and time, the part about Cat taking a different way back, would've thrown me off. Maybe it was mentioned, but if you've not read the book, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have noticed the imporatnce of that. So, thanks again. They could have (or maybe they will) change the intro so they show that part of the land instead of the whole entire area...or at least that would be nice.
Yeah, I wish that the awesome title sequence changed again in these last couple episodes to reflect the change in setting. Knowing where Riverrun is in relation to the other lands is going to be super important for anyone who hasn't read the books.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Ah, Shagga son of Dolf. Just as awesome as he was in the books. Now let's hope they keep him in season 2 so we can see him chop off a manhood and feed it to the goats.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I haven't read the original books, and I don't really intend to, but the show itself is amazing

Thomas Rembrandt

Feb 17, 2010
Zac Smith said:
I haven't read the original books, and I don't really intend to, but the show itself is amazing
Quite frankly, the show is actually better in some areas. The actors for example are so damn good, they give their characters considerably more depth and likability compared to the books (case in point: Jaimie and Cersei are really not that interesting in the first book).

Also, for the sake of pace, most of the insufferable angst of Catelyn and Sansa is (thankfully) omitted.

So, pray for a second season, it's gonna be awesome.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Only downside is I do have to keep looking a Geoffrey's face, dear lord do I want to punch him right in the face, no offence to the actor, but I just want my fist to meet his face

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Zac Smith said:
Only downside is I do have to keep looking a Geoffrey's face, dear lord do I want to punch him right in the face, no offence to the actor, but I just want my fist to meet his face
Is that a compliment on his acting ability?

jjhoho

Aug 24, 2009
sleeky01 said:
Zac Smith said:
I feel the same way, and I honestly don't know if he's a great actor playing a great character like Tom Felton's Draco Malfoy and makes us hate him, or if he just has a real asshole complexion, also like Tom Felton's Draco Malfoy. honestly that kid is just Tom Felton V2.0

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
jjhoho said:
sleeky01 said:
Zac Smith said:
I feel the same way, and I honestly don't know if he's a great actor playing a great character like Tom Felton's Draco Malfoy and makes us hate him, or if he just has a real asshole complexion, also like Tom Felton's Draco Malfoy. honestly that kid is just Tom Felton V2.0
The biggest difference is that Tom Felton can actually act. The kid playing Joffrey is kind of brutal.

I'm really enjoying this series. As was previously stated, keeping track of time in Game of Thrones is kind of tricky if you are new to the series (it feels like Eddard was only in King's Landing for like 2 weeks before all the s**t went down). Here's hoping they're not going to have speed things up even more like what was done in Rome due to financial constraints.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Thomas Rembrandt said:

Well, honestly I'm interested in it. I mean, I haven't read the books which makes the whole Whitewalkers thing very intriguing. Are they really as tall at portrayed to be? If so, how are they going to do a giants invasion seen? Also, I'd like to see what happens when the Dathraky cross the ocean (if they do) and attack only to find that Robert is dead and a child and his ***** of a mother sit on the Throne.