BBC Confirms Matt Smith For Another Doctor Who Season

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
BBC Confirms Matt Smith For Another Doctor Who Season

Hello, this is Matt Smith. He's the Doctor. For another season, at least.

A lot of folks were unsure about Matt Smith when he took over the title role in Doctor Who from David Tenant. That said, a lot of people consider Smith to be the best Doctor to pilot the Tardis, and they're undoubtedly going to be thrilled with the news that Smith has been confirmed for another full season of the show.

Sam Hodges, BBC1's Head of Communications <a href=http://twitter.com/#!/Sam_Hodges/status/78133661073031168>broke the news via Twitter: "Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as The Doctor."

Steven Moffat, too, <a href=http://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat/status/78139808827981824>tweeted a confirmation: "14 eps + Matt DEFINITELY. I've got a plan and I'm NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS. Now hush or River shoots you with her Spoiler Gun."

Moffat confirmed that the fourteen episodes will include a 2011 Christmas special, as well as a thirteen-episode season for 2012.

Now, what hasn't been confirmed is whether the Doctor's companions, Amy and Rory Pond. Actors Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill have yet to be confirmed for another season, but we can't read too much into that before anything official is announced.

Even if Amy and Rory don't come back, Smith's return is great news: It means another season of bow ties, fezzes (maybe), and sonic screwdrivers (definitely).

Source: <a href=http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06/dwn070611173008-bbc-confirms-fourteen.html>Doctor Who News via <a href=http://io9.com/5809542/yes-matt-smith-is-officially-back-for-another-season-of-doctor-who>io9

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Well that blows all the pacing out of the end of series 6... So that must mean that the skeleton hand with dying sonic at the end of 'A Good Man Goes To War' is just for us to excited about and then they say Smith's coming back? Announce this AFTER the end of series 6 you BBC fools!
Seems 1103's death will probably be retconned too.

But really, so long as Rory comes back then I'm not minding. Smith is still a very good Doctor but Rory has reached rediculous levels of awesome!

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i thought that was the entire point of casting him in the first place, what with the last two being relatively big name they were less likely to stay, so get in a less known guy who wouldn't mine being type cast

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I like him alot as the Doctor, so happy news for me.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Good news, he's my favourite Doctor so far personally (though David Tennant was excellent too), it'll be nice to get at-least one more season out of him!

Rathcoole

Jan 1, 2011
Good I like him as the doctor. He remind's me of the earlier one's before it tried to got all serious. Plus I have not got bored of him yet which beat tennant's doctor who I got bored of after the first series.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
TimeLord said:
Well that blows all the pacing out of the end of series 6... So that must mean that the skeleton hand with dying sonic at the end of 'A Good Man Goes To War' is just for us to excited about and then they say Smith's coming back? Announce this AFTER the end of series 6 you BBC fools!

But really, so long as Rory comes back then I'm not minding. Smith is still a very good Doctor but Rory has reached rediculous levels of awesome!
Skeleton hand with a dying Sonic, I feel as though I've missed something. I definitely did not see that at the end of the episode, and I always sit through the credits.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
jamiedf said:
i thought that was the entire point of casting him in the first place, what with the last two being relatively big name they were less likely to stay, so get in a less known guy who wouldn't mine being type cast
I doubt that, it's true that the old series had one doctor for hundreds of episodes, but it's because they had a lot more episodes per season. I don't count on Matt staying for more than 3 or 4 seasons. The 50 year anniversary is coming up, does any one else smell a new doctor for the new half.century?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
TimeLord said:

Skeleton hand with a dying Sonic, I feel as though I've missed something. I definitely did not see that at the end of the episode, and I always sit through the credits.
After the credits. It cuts to a skeleton hand holding Smith's sonic and then the light on the sonic dies out. It then cuts to big words saying "Time Runs Out" or something along those lines.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I kinda hate it when you know actors are reprising their role in another season. You sort of say to yourself "Well every single episode till then I know they will survive"

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I'm in two minds about the companions. I LOVE Amy and Rory, but this is Doctor Who, a series that thrives on change, and 2 years is a long time in new-Who years. Is it time for them to leave? It'll be a bittersweet farwell.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
TimeLord said:

Oh, come on. You knew something was going to happen about that death from the start. In fact, I'll bet you already know WHY too. *Wink*

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
I have a felling Amy & Rory wont be the full time companions they have been so far, but I would love to keep them around in the background for a bit. With what the mid season finale revealed they have a pretty solid 'link' to The Doctors future adventures.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
TimeLord said:
After the credits. It cuts to a skeleton hand holding Smith's sonic and then the light on the sonic dies out. It then cuts to big words saying "Time Runs Out" or something along those lines.
Ah, well that explains alot, My dvr must have cut out right when time was up for the show so it ends smack at the end of the credits.

Adiona

Mistress of Evil
Mar 25, 2008
Fez's are cool.

Ah nice to hear, would have been a bit disappointed if they had to cast another actor for the role so soon. Oh well still looking forward to the next part of series 6, no more baby though. More scary rawr stuffs :D

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
TimeLord said:

But really, so long as Rory comes back then I'm not minding. Smith is still a very good Doctor but Rory has reached ridiculous levels of awesome!
The rumor for a long time has been that Matt Smith is sticking around until the 50th anniversary in 2013, so really, this isn't all that surprising. And I adore Matt's doctor, so I'm perfectly okay with it.

But I agree about Rory. I've grown to love him so (and my friends and I love to play the "How's he almost dying this episode!" game). I love Amy too. This triple pairing they've got here I feel really works, and I hope they keep it going for at least one more season.

Varya said:
I'm in two minds about the companions. I LOVE Amy and Rory, but this is Doctor Who, a series that thrives on change, and 2 years is a long time in new-Who years. Is it time for them to leave? It'll be a bittersweet farwell.
I'm fairly certain (though not 100%) that a number of companions pre-revival were around for more than two seasons.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
TimeLord said:

Well since it was a skeleton hand, we already knew it wasn't the Doctor. He might regenerate, but they won't be cancelling the series so the Doctor won't actually die. And even if they DID, they'd probably leave a window open for the series to keep living it's pseudo-live much like it did after it's initial cancellation.
Also, Moffat knew who River Song was from the day she stepped in to the library, so don't put it past him to already have given us clues to 11s regeneration. That's the trick with time travel, we never know exactly how things will come to pass, even if we're shown the ending.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
TimeLord said:
I hate people using that phrase. Considering what else Steve Moffat has woven into the series, do you really think that he killed the Doctor in the 1st episode without a plan to resolve it before the end of the last episode? That isn't retconning, thats good planning.

Also, YAY!!!!! Bring Rory back!

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Fezzes, Amy, and Rory, oh my. I really can't see Matt Smith's Doctor without Amy and Rory.

May 5, 2010
That's good. I like Smith as the Doctor. There's been moments when he even surpassed Tennant. Anyway, I would really like Amy and Rory to come back, but, let's face it, they probably won't. Even Rose only lasted two seasons, and Amy's the only companion to make it that far since.

PREEMPTIVE NOTE: I've never seen the classic series.