FBI Reportedly Arrests LulzSec Hacker (Or Not)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
FBI Reportedly Arrests LulzSec Hacker (Or Not)

A member of the hacking group that broke into Sony's databases and hacked Nintendo may have been arrested, but LulzSec denies it.

Hacker group also targeted Nintendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/lulzsec?from_search=1].

According to the Epoch Times [http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/technology/lulzsec-member-arrested-group-leaks-sony-database-57296.html], following the Sony developer site hack earlier this week, leaked LulzSec chat logs claimed that the group had come under attack by "military hackers." The same logs said that one of their members, Robert Cavanaugh, had been arrested by the FBI.

However, LulzSec has stated [http://pastebin.com/yut4P6qN] that the chat server that had been hacked was merely their recruiting channel, not their main channel - and that Cavanaugh was not one of their own. According to the LulzSec release, the person who leaked their chatlogs has been "completely hacked" in retaliation.

"Nobody arrested, no significant logs leaked, website up, twitter up, Pirate Bay account up, IRC up, Lulz Boat sailing... victory for us," the group another Tweet followed [http://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/status/77785393289887745]: "That's strange because all of us are still here. Uh-oh!"

It's almost entertaining to watch LulzSec so openly defy organizations that are much bigger with much heavier political clout in a high-tech version of David & Goliath, but I can't help but see this as kind of bull-baiting. You can only taunt a bull so much before you get the horns.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5809216/report-lulz-security-sony-hacker-arrested])

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I really wish that bull would hurry up with the delivery of its horns to these clowns, though.

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
Just out of interest, can the FBI arrest these guys if their not American citizens living in America?

If they were a bunch of Chinese tech wizz's for example then wouldnt they need to go through politial and legal channels for ages?

O.P: Lulzsec seem to be annoying a lot of big companies and theres no way this can end well, theres only 2 outcomes really

1. Lulzsec get found and arrested eventually
or 2. Lulzsec distroy the internet

It doesnt look like their going to stop untill either they or the internet are gone

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
In reality, the bull is playing a game of battleship, where they have many MANY more ships and a bigger sea and the Lulzies are surrounded by pegs with nowhere really to run. The horns are effectively set.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
As long as they teach a lesson and not damage anything, I'm fine.

Honestly, recently the news that they took some chunk out of Sony is just heinous, if you take something and show it for satire and to point out flaws, then do so, but don't dangle it to the public as way to say "Hey, look at us, we can release this info to evil doers also if we wanted, but we do it for the lulz".

That's when your enter the zone of unforgivable and might even alienate your own people.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Maxman3002 said:
Just out of interest, can the FBI arrest these guys if their not American citizens living in America?
Who is to say arrests are needed? They could just continually shut them down once they figure out who they are. And they could go with the ask forgiveness than permission route that is usually tried first by anyone with a federal badge and a gun.

OT:
John, you might be the only one in this thread who likes this. I see it just as annoying stupidity and hope this boat gets sunk with all crew still inside.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
These guys are seriously annoying. It's a surprise that people with egos this big can actually find time to do any hacking (what with all the self-admiration and the needless gloating). What LulzSec has done is taking all of the decent values of of Anonymous, and then used them as an excuse to annoy people just 'fr teh lulz'.

And that is why LulzSec should be put down.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Maxman3002 said:

If they were a bunch of Chinese tech wizz's for example then wouldnt they need to go through politial and legal channels for ages?

O.P: Lulzsec seem to be annoying a lot of big companies and theres no way this can end well, theres only 2 outcomes really

1. Lulzsec get found and arrested eventually
or 2. Lulzsec distroy the internet

It doesnt look like their going to stop untill either they or the internet are gone
I think this counts as an international crime and FBI follows a different law than what cops do, so it might be possible. I am no expert in American law though so I can't really give you anything definite on the matter.

OT: of course they would deny the arrest of one of their members. Their position would be weakened if it turned out that they broke the law and were punished for it. Also this is a part of showing defiance ridiculing the FBI Hard to say who's telling the truth.
Hopefully LulzSec wont stick around for too much more.

Wildflowers

Jan 28, 2011
Lulzsec is pointing out that consumers are putting a hell of a lot of faith in people who control their money. So long as they don't cause more downtime or screw me in any way, I'm perfectly happy with them making Sony look like idiots.
If we are seriously going to trust a bank to hold our money, we have to make sure the bank won't give it up without a fight. And that's what Lulz is doing.

As for the tired adage of 'you can only poke for so long blah blah'... I want to mention that, in fact, an anonymous Canadian sniper in Kandahar managed to kill over one hundred opponents over the course of a tour. And he made it home without issue. Today's day and age isn't based on standing army size, but skill and finesse of the army. If Sony/FBI/CIA/whatever the hell Canada has for security can't deal with it, then that's everyone's problem. Better to have some Lulzzy guys do it now than people who decide to make Die Hard 4 match reality a little closer.

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
Yopaz said:
I think this counts as an international crime and FBI follows a different law than what cops do, so it might be possible. I am no expert in American law though so I can't really give you anything definite on the matter.

OT: of course they would deny the arrest of one of their members. Their position would be weakened if it turned out that they broke the law and were punished for it. Also this is a part of showing defiance ridiculing the FBI Hard to say who's telling the truth.
Hopefully LulzSec wont stick around for too much more.
But thats the thing, if its an American law it doesnt mean anything outside of America. Just because the FBI can do more than the police in America doesnt mean they can do anything in other countries. I guess they could keep shutting them down but they would still probably have to speak to the other countries and get permission to do much else as far as I know. If these hackers are from a country that has little respect for America they probably wouldnt get far

This is all guess work etc but im under the assumption thats how it works. Anyone know different?

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
FalloutJack said:
In reality, the bull is playing a game of battleship, where they have many MANY more ships and a bigger sea and the Lulzies are surrounded by pegs with nowhere really to run. The horns are effectively set.
I would put that the other way around.

I'm sure these guys have proxies up the ass and know what they are doing. I mean, they did this much without anyone even touching them. The "bull" is looking out in the vast sea of the internet and proxies and other tools to hide them just make the sea that much bigger.

They can continue to run without any problems.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I find that example outdated. More like 'You can only taunt the big old dog so much before he tries to gum you to death and pulls hi ship out of place in the process" THAT is what taking on the USA is like.
This message brought to you from Texas so shut the fuck up you overly patriotic imbeciles & funded by the what are you proud of anyways foundation?
Awesome, friended.

Seriously I hope these kids (and they are kids) prove once and for all how utterly incompetent our government and corporate institutions are. Yet these same institutions claim the right to rule over and control us ordinary citizens "for our own good" and mercilessly punish anyone who doesn't toe the line.

As far as I'm concernt Lulzsec =

[image src="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsOuc00tBwKtM8SUR6f4uERCMECJDmLWmCiImlmneZ4VcYQAtnEA"]

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
hmmm...

i like these guys style, though it may end badly for them they got their point across and i applaud them for that

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Wildflowers said:
If we are seriously going to trust a bank to hold our money, we have to make sure the bank won't give it up without a fight. And that's what Lulz is doing.
But that's not what Lulz is doing. Lulz is the guy who comes over and kicks your sand castle or knocks down your house of cards and then laughs at the results. Does the experience mean that you can be better prepared so the next guy who comes to knock over your shit will have a harder time? Ya it does. But the intent is different. Lulz are not white hat hackers, they are just a bunch of people who like to watch chaos and laugh about the trouble they cause.

In the end do their actions mean increased security? Ya. But their intent isn't to get people to increase their security, it's to get a laugh out of the situation. That's the difference.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Wildflowers said:
Lulzsec is pointing out that consumers are putting a hell of a lot of faith in people who control their money. So long as they don't cause more downtime or screw me in any way, I'm perfectly happy with them making Sony look like idiots.

As for the tired adage of 'you can only poke for so long blah blah'... I want to mention that, in fact, an anonymous Canadian sniper in Kandahar managed to kill over one hundred opponents over the course of a tour. And he made it home without issue. Today's day and age isn't based on standing army size, but skill and finesse of the army. If Sony/FBI/CIA/whatever the hell Canada has for security can't deal with it, then that's everyone's problem. Better to have some Lulzzy guys do it now than people who decide to make Die Hard 4 match reality a little closer.
When they hacked Sony to show how weak their security is, they could have simply mailed the stolen info to Sony executives to prove that they did it. Instead, they posted the info online. The people that info belonged to was more secure before Lulzsec made it available to anyone on the net. That was a dick move and it was unnecessary, and it didn't help anyone.

If these guys are vigilantes, they're riding into town and shooting everyone in sight, not just the corrupt.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
The group is too scattered to be arrested. Their ideals dont hold much power thought, so once it goes down it should stay down until some other party resurrects it.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I find that example outdated. More like 'You can only taunt the big old dog so much before he tries to gum you to death and pulls hi ship out of place in the process" THAT is what taking on the USA is like.
This message brought to you from Texas so shut the fuck up you overly patriotic imbeciles & funded by the what are you proud of anyways foundation?
Awesome, friended.

Seriously I hope these kids (and they are kids) prove once and for all how utterly incompetent our government and corporate institutions are. Yet these same institutions claim the right to rule over and control us ordinary citizens "for our own good" and mercilessly punish anyone who doesn't toe the line.

As far as I'm concernt Lulzsec =

[image src="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsOuc00tBwKtM8SUR6f4uERCMECJDmLWmCiImlmneZ4VcYQAtnEA"]
not quite.

that guy had a point

these guys aren't trying to prove anything.
they are just dicks.