E3: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
E3: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Just another glorious day in the corps.

Go grab your DVD of Aliens - the Director's Cut, if you have it. Fast forward to the part where the Marines have discovered that Burke has betrayed them, and the xenomorphs cut the power. Remember the nonstop firefight that ensues? The frantic running, screaming, and trying to make every shot count? That's pretty much exactly how the demo of Colonial Marines [http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Pc/dp/B00149NCW4/] feels.

The hands-off demo that I saw begins a few months after the events of Aliens. Your band of space marines crash lands on LV-426, which has been decimated by the explosion of the atmospheric processor. Just about everything is in ruins, including the part of the colony where Ripley, Hicks, Newt, Hudson, and Vasquez, and Gorman made their last stand.

The demo was clearly designed to resonate most strongly with fans of the Aliens movie, as it moved through key locations from the movie, replicating specific incidents. The crashed marines began working their way through the remains of the buildings, and it wasn't long before the motion tracker began making its distinctive "You're about to die" warning noise. Raising the tracker into view, seeing those blobs advancing your position as the bleeping becomes more insistent creates palpable tension, which isn't relieved by the xenomorphs' penchant for popping out of vents and flooring without warning. The aliens are fast and vicious, but more importantly, they're unpredictable, which not only makes for a greater FPS challenge, but also cranks up the anxiety level to satisfying degrees.

The demo was pretty light on story, focusing more on the atmosphere and combat of Colonial Marines. We got to see the pulse rifle as well as the sentry turret featured in the Director's Cut of the movie. It wouldn't be Aliens without someone climbing into a freight loader and hitting the welding torch, which did a fairly decent job on the regular aliens, but then the Queen showed up and ... the demo ended.

Colonial Marines nails the look and feel of Aliens absolutely perfectly; a lot of energy was obviously spent on the kind of details that would honor the source material and please fans. Running and gunning is certainly nothing new, but the xenomorphs aren't your standard enemy. They swarm up walls, they leap, they dangle from the ceiling and grab your comrades without hesitation. All the chest-high walls in the world aren't going to help you survive an encounter with them, which is an exciting proposition in an FPS.

The one odd note in the demo took place as the marines were making their way across the surface of LV-426 on their way to Ops. Several regular aliens attacked them, but then one larger, rhino-like version showed up and charged toward them. It simply didn't feel true to the Alien mythology. The xenomorphs are lightning fast and vicious; this thing was big and bulky. It seemed like it was added not to supplement the canon, but rather to satisfy a game design choice. Something was needed to propel the marines forward while also cutting off their retreat, so, hey, why not a big ol' xenorhino?

Fans of Aliens will appreciate how well Colonial Marines captures the spirit of its source material, but it looks like the game will also appeal to anyone who just wants a good old fashioned bug hunt.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be out in Spring of 2012 for PC, PS3, and 360. It's also on WiiU, but Gearbox isn't saying anything about that at this time.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
We all know that the NWU version will have the motion sensor on the controller and it will be fucking glorious to behold because of it

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Xenorhinos are no problem, assuming there was some sort of native rhino-type on the planet. The xenos, of course, take on characteristics of the host. But it is strange, because LV-426 was only beginning to get terraformed, so there was likely no real native life. I don't imagine colonists will bring rhinos as the first species with them, but perhaps cattle? Cattle would make for good hosts, and may not have been in the immediate vicinity of the colony during the movie. A xeno-cow would probably resemble an angry rhino.
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
We all know that the NWU version will have the motion sensor on the controller and it will be fucking glorious to behold because of it
I want the nwu now. Officially.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
thiosk said:
Xenorhinos are no problem, assuming there was some sort of native rhino-type on the planet. The xenos, of course, take on characteristics of the host. But it is strange, because LV-426 was only beginning to get terraformed, so there was likely no real native life. I don't imagine colonists will bring rhinos as the first species with them, but perhaps cattle? Cattle would make for good hosts, and may not have been in the immediate vicinity of the colony during the movie. A xeno-cow would probably resemble an angry rhino.
Pretty much this. One of the things that not many folks know is that the xenomorphs will somewhat resemble the host they infected.

And, you're right, it seems weird for a ceature that big to be on LV-426. I hope a rational explanation is given, but it doesn't seem like a dealbreaker to me.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Maybe some sort of mini boss type Alien?

I am looking forward to this. It has been far too long since a decent Alien game. Monoliths AVP2-being the last decent entry in the franchise.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
This was my first thought when I saw this game announced. Huddled up on my bed, my eyes scanning the darkness of the corners on-screen, when I'm aware of a slow bleeping coming from the glowing light of my controller. I glance down and see a red blip approaching. No sign of it on-screen. Look back down, it's getting closer. I look up just in time to see the shiny black form of the Xenomorph leap from the shadows towards me and I unleash ballistics fury, shredding it's body... yeah, I could totally live with that.

OT: This game looks really impressive and I'm really looking forward to it coming out. It's been a while since I had a good "grip you by the bell-end and wrench" suspense-filled horror/action game like this.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
Aliens was probably my favourite movie of all time so Im happy about this

as for the new enemy one thing the games allways lacked was enemy variety so Im happy to accept that. did they have live stock for meat? a petting zoo? pets? in the 3rd movie a dog was impregnated though it was originally intended to be an ox or something.
so I dont think animals are out of the question.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I hope and pray the devs played the 1999 Aliens vs Predator game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_versus_Predator_%28video_game%29

That game captured the best feel of the movies including the pants peeing scariness of hearing a facehugger skittering somewhere in the darkness.

Last year's AVP game was an abomination.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
thiosk said:
A xeno-cow would probably resemble an angry rhino.
Actually a xenomorph cow would look exactly like the dog alien from Alien 3 because that's exactly what it actually is in the director's cut.

Knew that 9 disc edition was totally worth it!
Yeesh I havn't bothered to watch alien 3 in so long. I love the first two movies but 3 and 4...

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
I know it's a loltaku article but Randy pitchford says what they'll use the NWU controller for link [http://kotaku.com/5810010/three-amazing-things-youll-do-with-aliens-colonial-marines-on-the-wii-u]
Randy Pitchford said:
There are also a lot of very neat things players will be doing with that screen-touting controller as well in the game, Pitchford says.
The device will, at times, become the game's motion tracker, a device in the fiction of the Alien universe that can track the location of enemies and friendlies by their motion. Pitchford explained that players may be asked to sweep their controller around them, looking for approaching enemies, which will show up as blips on the display of the controller.

The Wii U controller will also become a fully interactive map at times. In this mode, players will be able to play with a full map of the area much like we see Private William Hudson doing in the movie Aliens.
*drooool* Motion scanner + Interactive maps like those seen in the movie. Purchase confirmed even if Pikmin 3 turns into DNF

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hmmm...I guess the livestock angle is possible,but it's a hell of a stretch. It's a minor point, though. I'm still plenty stoked for the game. Every meal is a banquet! Every formation a parade!

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
fozzy360 said:
thiosk said:
Pretty much this. One of the things that not many folks know is that the xenomorphs will somewhat resemble the host they infected.

And, you're right, it seems weird for a ceature that big to be on LV-426. I hope a rational explanation is given, but it doesn't seem like a dealbreaker to me.
What about the aliens who built the ship with the eggs? Those things were pretty huge and kind of rhino/elephant looking. its at least less of a stretch than space cow

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
fozzy360 said:
thiosk said:

What about the aliens who built the ship with the eggs? Those things were pretty huge and kind of rhino/elephant looking. its at least less of a stretch than space cow
The Spacejockeys? Yeah, that's something, the one we do see in the first movie is pretty large, and had been chestbursted.

Plus AvP had the Praetorians, so it's not the first time new Xenomorphs have been added. Though, I'd have to actually see this Rhinomorph in order to judge if it were a good fit or not.

You know what the -best- thing about Colonial Marines is though? They got all the original soundeffects from the movie. Pulse-rifles ho!!

<youtube=uz0UkvGU2qE&feature=related>

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Thanks Susan, this has me more interested now. I'm a huge fan and am hoping for a really authentic Aliens game finally.