2012 Director Roland Emmerich Offered Asteroids Film

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
2012 Director Roland Emmerich Offered Asteroids Film

Word on the street is that Roland Emmerich, the disastermeister behind flicks like 2012 [http://www.amazon.com/Day-After-Tomorrow-Widescreen/dp/B00005JMXX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307561773&sr=8-1], has been offered the helm of the Asteroids movie.

First things first: yes, an Asteroids movie is in the works and yes, it is based upon the 70s arcade game in which a little arrow-shaped spaceship fires a stream of tiny dots to blow up endless waves of asteroids, all rendered in black-and-white vector graphics. How could that possibly be spun into a feature film, you ask? I don't know. But if somebody is actually determined to make this happen - and that does appear to be the case - then I can't think of too many guys better qualified to direct the project than Roland Emmerich [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000386/#Director].

Emmerich, for those who don't recognize the name, is the director behind the relentlessly noisy disaster flicks The Day After Tomorrow and 2012, as well as the widely-panned prehistoric fantasy film Moon 44 [http://www.amazon.com/000-B-C-Blu-ray-Camilla-Belle/dp/B0017U7PT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307561820&sr=8-1], look pretty damn good.

It's only a rumor at this point but according to Sorcerer's Apprentice [http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/06/roland_emmerich_has_been_offer.html] remakes. The story will apparently be set after the destruction of the Earth, which has forced the remnants of humanity to take up residence in colonies located in an asteroid belt. The survivors share the belt with an alien race that they believe saved them from certain, final destruction, but it turns out the aliens were responsible for blowing up the Earth in the first place and are now plotting to finish them off.

Oops. Spoilers. Sorry about that.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
That sounds terrabad. Two hours of nothing but explosions and "pew-pewing"? I'll pass. And alien overlords? Really?

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
"Commander! Why have you returned? We ordered you to go see if there were any other asteroids that we couldn't see!"

"I don't understand, sir! I arrived back where I started, but I was flying... in a straight line!"

[Musical sting]

"Dear God..."

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
No one, ever, in the history of ever played Asteroids and thought, "I love the lore. They should make a movie of this."
This is just adding a known name to a new project. Pointless and condescending to the gaming community for assuming we would fall for this. I would be more likely to see this if they had come up with their own name.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Hal10k said:
"Commander! Why have you returned? We ordered you to go see if there was any other asteroids that we can't see!"

"I don't understand, sir! I arrived back where I started, but I was flying... in a sraight line!"

[Musical sting]

"Dear God..."
Nice lol. Actually if they made a movie based on us going to space and realising that we are stuck in some infinite loop I would go see it. That would cool.

BilboB2

Apr 9, 2010
As my uncle is one of the people who worked on the original Asteroids, I can't help but wonder if he knows that this ...thing... is being made.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Why is that every time Roland Emmerich is brought up, people mention all his movies of the past decade and a half (or so) EXCEPT Stargate? It was the best movie he ever did, and it ALWAYS gets left out. What the hell does everyone have against Stargate?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It may have been the best movie he ever did (except it wasn't) but it also just wasn't very good. Great idea, silly, stupid ending. Completely fell apart in the final act.

And for the record, the best movie he ever did was Universal Soldier.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
At least it's not another "Asteroids are heading to the Earth and we need to go into space to stop them"-movie. When I hear the term "Asteroids movie" I think more Deep Impact/Armageddon rather than 2600 Asteroids.

It's a Roland movie though, the only thing going for it will be the CGI.