BioShock and Oblivion Combine For The Most Critically Acclaimed Bundle Ever

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
BioShock and Oblivion Combine For The Most Critically Acclaimed Bundle Ever

If you somehow have managed to avoid playing BioShock and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for this long, well, 2K and Bethesda sure have a deal for you: a bundle of the two games that'll only run you $40 or $30.

I can understand if you've never played both BioShock and Oblivion. I've played the former, but not the latter. But I'd have a hard time believing that if you are the kind of person who is interested in this form of entertainment that we call "vidyagames" that you haven't played either of them. Well, if you are that kind of person and don't want to be anymore, you're about to save some money.

2K and Bethesda are bundling the two games together on PC for the price of $29.99 and $39.99 on Xbox 360. If you were to buy copies of both games new, it would run you roughly $50 on 360 and $40 on PC, so consider this something of a $10 discount on both platforms.

What's the rationale for bundling these two vastly different games - one a hugely open-ended fantasy RPG and the other a brainy FPS that takes place underwater, if you didn't know - aside from squeezing some cash out of value-minded gamers? Well, if you take 2K's spin for it, they both have amassed a huge amount of awards, with Oblivion dubbed "Game of the Year" (I don't know by who, it just is, okay?) for 2006, and BioShock for 2007.

"With a combined bounty of more than 80 Game of the Year awards from the industry's top publications" this may very well be the critically-acclaimed-est bundle in the recent history of videogame bundles. Consider it The Game of the Year 2006-7 Edition or The Susan Arendt's Favorite Games Compilation, or just consider it two pretty good games for the price of one new one.

The bundle ships on July 7.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
$40 on the PC? Bioshock is 10 bucks from steam and you can oblivion for 12 bucks on Newegg. So this seems like kind of a rip off from my standpoint.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
bue519 said:
$40 on the PC? Bioshock is 10 bucks from steam and you can oblivion for 12 bucks on Newegg. So this seems like kind of a rip off from my standpoint.
It's $30 on PC. But yeah if you don't the convenience of having them in the same box, you could save some dough.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
bue519 said:
That's the RRP, it'll be cheaper.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Keane Ng said:
bue519 said:
It's $30 on PC. But yeah if you don't the convenience of having them in the same box, you could save some dough.
Yeah I guess it is nice to have both in the same box. I'm just one of those people who try to find the best deals possible. I would be coo though if they decided to throw in one of the expansions to Oblivion into the pack.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I Paid £5 for Oblivion an all the expansions. Thats about 7-8 dollars. Brand new.
Not a big fan of bioshock so that is pointless. Many of the people i know who liked oblivion did not like bioshock eiherso it suggests to me that the games dont really go together

MrPop

May 14, 2009
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
I Paid £5 for Oblivion an all the expansions. Thats about 7-8 dollars. Brand new.
Not a big fan of bioshock so that is pointless. Many of the people i know who liked oblivion did not like bioshock eiherso it suggests to me that the games dont really go together
£5 for Oblivion and all the expansions O_O

And it seems like a nice bundle. Shame I already have Oblivion though and only 'need' Bioshock.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Seems like an odd deal.

Both of these games have been out for a lengthy period of time. Most people who are interested in them have already bought them. Even if they are interested in one of the games they could easily have the other, so they wouldn't bother with the pack.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Truly amazing! It is an awesome bundle and one that I would buy...

had I not already bought the games a long time ago.

Seriously, who are they aiming for? Casual gamers or newcomers to the consoles? Is it like one of those cheaper "Platinum Edition" releases but in a bundle with another great game? Do these editions come with any possible extra content released over the years (like Oblivion's Game of the Year PS3 edition)?

I don't mean to sound rude. I'd just really like to understand.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Everywhere else seems to be saying $30 PC (29.99), $40 360 (39.99).

@Bue519: Bioshock was on sale on Steam at one point in the past for USD9.99, but it is currently USD19.99; I know, because I'm waiting for another sale that puts it below 20 bucks.

EDIT: To those of you saying "WTH? Who doesn't own these already?" I own all 3 major consoles, and I just built a new PC (longtime overdue), but I just bought Oblivion 2 weeks ago, and I'm still waiting to buy Bioshock. Not everyone cares to spend $60 on new releases, or even $40, and the way the price drops, you can get decently new things for decently cheap prices, so long as you have a little patience.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Good times, wish more companies would start doing this.
Indeed. I just wish they would with a game I don't already have.

Internet Kraken said:
Seems like an odd deal.

Both of these games have been out for a lengthy period of time. Most people who are interested in them have already bought them. Even if they are interested in one of the games they could easily have the other, so they wouldn't bother with the pack.
Pretty much this.

Although it cheaper games, so it's all good.