MGS Rising Levels 3rd-Party Playing Field, Says Microsoft

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
MGS Rising Levels 3rd-Party Playing Field, Says Microsoft

Now that Metal Gear Solid is making its way to the Xbox 360 with Rising, the "third-party playing field" has been leveled and definitions of what an "exclusive" is have changed, says Microsoft's Shane Kim.

Microsoft didn't score an exclusive with the upcoming Metal Gear Solid Rising, but the simple fact that the MGS franchise, which didn't come to the 360 for MGS4, is now on a Microsoft system changes everything, thinks Microsoft VP Shane Kim.

"I still think exclusive content is really important," Kim told Gamasutra [http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24058]. "First of all, in games, we've said for a long time that a key part of our strategy with Xbox 360 was a level third-party playing field. Now we've effectively done that with Metal Gear Solid coming to the Xbox 360."

Kim remarked that since the 360 is the "second leading platform," third parties like Konami can't afford to ignore it, economically speaking. That's become a truism for some time now, with Metal Gear Solid 4 being a rare exception to the rule that most third party games are multiplatform. First-party exclusives now stand in for the Final Fantasy VIIs and Soul Calibur 1s of yore, but the very definition of what "exclusive" means should shift too, Kim said.

"But I also think we have to broaden our definition of exclusive content now," he said. That means exclusive DLC like Microsoft's Grand Theft Auto IV episodes, but also "things like Xbox Live, because I do think Xbox Live is a real competitive differentiator for us."

And since relying on third parties isn't "sustainable," as Kim says, offering things like Project Natal are the new ways of creating exclusive content. "It's up to each of us to differentiate on our own," Kim said. Is something like Natal really "differentiating," is the age of the exclusive game really over, and is "differentiator" a word? I'd say maybe to the first, yes to second and uhhhh to the third, but what do you guys think?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Keane Ng said:
but also "things like Xbox Live, because I do think Xbox Live is a real competitive differentiator for us."
Because the PS3 has no online store or gaming network, right?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I find it odd MS is talking of different types of exclusives, but doesn't mention the one major source for exclusives for the 360. Community games.I'd like to hear more about them. But I do consider features as exclusives when I buy something.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Mornelithe said:
It boils down to 1st party developement, and Sony has vastly more in-house devs than MS and Nintendo, hell, combined and I still think they have more.

And NoMoreSanity - You're missing a few

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
MAG
The Last Guardian
ModNation Racers
Demon Souls
Quantum Theory
Heavy Rain
Ratchet and Clank: Another Sequel in Time
Wipeout HD:Fury
White Knight Chronicles
Theres a Wipeout game for the PS3? :O

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Mornelithe said:
@ NoMoreSanity - Yes, but you still missed quite a few. Just throwing the names out there, considering GT5 will do as good, and probably better than GoW3.
Yes, but Forza 3 is an Xbox exclusive - I think NoMoreSanity was referring to games that are in some way different from their peers.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Yes, but I care about none of them. Except MAYBE Heavy Rain.
Ah ha!
You may not care about them but I'll bet plenty of people will part with their cash for GT5 and Wipeout. Especially GT5, despite all the Forza bleating their still isn't a proper substitute for GT in terms of the driving, never under estimate the number of car nerds on planet earth...

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Personally i dont think the ps3 in the past has had anything to boast about in the reageions of exclusive games and content.. where as the xbox360 has... yeah ps3 got its mgs4 eventually but i think now looking at the recent e3 event, its nice to see something good coming to the ps3 exclusivly.. ie MAG.. i think the game its self is a fantastic concept and i cant wait to see how it turns out (im a xbox360 owner)

As for this new metal gear.. i really couldnt care less about lol i lost the plot after the second one. the first one was awsome tho.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I hope this illustrates to you all how these PR bozos within the companies and their favorite studios fan the flamewars.
Don't worry the sony and nintendo PR bozos do it too.
Unfortunately, I don't think they realize that fanboys don't have any standards when it comes to dignity and marketing savvy.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Mornelithe said:
It boils down to 1st party developement, and Sony has vastly more in-house devs than MS and Nintendo, hell, combined and I still think they have more.
Microsoft's in-house developers include:

BigPark
Lionhead
Rare
Spawnpoint
Turn 10
Xbox Live Productions
Wingnut Interactive
Microsoft Game Studios

Sony's:

Sony Computer Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment
Clap Hanz
Polyphony
Naughty Dog
Sony Bend
Incognito
Zipper
Guerrilla
Evolution
Bigbig

Nintendo's:

Brownie Brown
Intelligent Systems
Monolith Soft
Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development
Nintendo Software Technology Corporation
Nintendo Software Planning and Development
Project Sora
Retro Studios

If I'm wrong about anything blame Wikipedia.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I really hope that it does not come down to DLC content for exclusivity that is just a big middle finger to either console owner. It is basically saying yes we made the game on your system but these guys payed us X so the other guys don't get the DLC. This is where it becomes stupid.

I have all three systems so basically they are saying if you want this game don't buy it on the platform that you like the controller on etc etc. The worst part is if you don't know the exclusivity deal when the game first comes out you could end up having it for the wrong system without knowing it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I would rather they made MGS4 come over to the 360 first to be honest.