Crooked Technician Hacked Laptops To Become Peeping Tom

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Crooked Technician Hacked Laptops To Become Peeping Tom

A man who repaired women's laptops remotely controlled their webcams, then convinced them to take the machines into the bathroom so he could photograph them in the shower.

When we take our laptops in to be repaired, it's generally assumed that the dude working on them won't take sexual advantage of us. But it turns out that's just what happened in Southern California, where a computer tech used the machines he was working on to take compromising pictures of his clients.

Trevor Harwell was working as a computer technician for Rezitech, when he made repairs on laptops, he'd add in something a little extra: A piece of software called Camcapture. The software allowed Harwell to remotely take control of a computer's webcam, which he'd then use to take naked pictures of female users.

Harwell, however, knew that he needed to do something more to get these women to walk in front of the camera without any clothes on. So he created fake error messages that said there was a problem with an internal sensor and the only way to solve this was to put the computer "near hot steam for several minutes." Supposedly the steam would clean the sensor.

You'd think that anyone with common sense would've had some kind of warning go off in their head when this message appeared ("Steam is good for a computer? Seriously?"), but several women apparently took their laptops into the bathroom with them when they took a shower. Harwell managed to accumulate thousands of pictures of his victims.

The man was finally caught when he installed the software on a younger girl's computer. Her mother became suspicious of the recurring error messages, so she called the police and the scam was uncovered.

Harwell has since been arrested and is facing multiple charges of computer access and fraud, though it sounds like more charges may be added since police are still searching for additional victims. He's also been released on a $50,000 bond. Rezitech, meanwhile, has (wisely) personal website and <a href=https://twitter.com/#%21/trevorharwell>Twitter account have been taken down from the Web, too, as has his <a href=https://profiles.google.com/trevor.harwell/about>Google profile.

Rezitech has also claimed that, "To [our] knowledge, Mr. Harwell did not commit any of the alleged offenses while performing work on behalf of Rezitech or while working on Rezitech computers or the computers of Rezitech customers." That said, whether this statement is true or not remains to be seen.

Honestly, the craziest thing about this story is that Harwell's scam worked for as long as it did. This isn't the first time that skeevy repair technicians have used their position to take advantage of their clients. That said, it sounds like Harwell's going to be headed to prison soon, which couldn't happen to a more-deserving guy.

Source: Geek

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Hey, Steam's pretty good for my computer.

I apologise for that pun.

This has to be the weirdest thing I've heard about voyeurism, anyway.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
The patience of that man. Seriously, his whole peeping tom thing must have been a second full time job for him. I'm sure the success rate was very low and even on cases where it worked, I'm sure getting a decent shot had to be incredibly difficult.

Apr 28, 2008
This is why I don't use computers.

You may ask how I'm posting this, and from what, or where?

Well the answer is simple, it is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition. And, it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

cke

Jun 20, 2010
"...But how do I make them take off their clothes? I know, I'll tell them to expose the pc to steam. That will force them to shower in front of the camera!"

Some people have bizarre thought trains ;/

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
That insane brilliant man...
I hope he made some illegal cash with these pictures to pay some decent lawyers.

On a side note, I might enroll into a locksmith school just for the perks, but the fact that there are under 300 licensed locksmiths in this 7 million country makes this job look lucrative. It depends on my ability to go to the University.

Post Scriptum. It won't matter, owning the keys to every house in the neighborhood and being able to crack locks seems much better than sitting on a computer all day writing software.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
cke said:
"...But how do I make them take off their clothes? I know, I'll tell them to expose the pc to steam. That will force them to shower in front of the camera!"

Some people have bizarre thought trains ;/
I don't know what's crazier; That thought process, or the fact that it worked, meaning his victims had the same thought process.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
vansau said:
His personal website and <a href=https://twitter.com/#%21/trevorharwell>Twitter account have been taken down from the Web, too, as has his <a href=https://profiles.google.com/trevor.harwell/about>Google profile.
So you give us links to sites that you know have already been taken down?
Nice ;)

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Hey, Steam's pretty good for my computer.

I apologise for that pun.

This has to be the weirdest thing I've heard about voyeurism, anyway.
Hey I have that Steam thing on my computer too! Does this mean that Gabe Newell has compromising photos of staring bleary-eyed in the wee hours of the morning reading the Escapist? DAMN YOU NEWELL!!!

Maybe they'll be nice enough to set up a webcam where he's going so all of his victims can see him being 'welcomed' by his new neighbors.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
...why didn't they just close their laptops when they showered? I can't claim that the guy didn't do anything wrong, but the fact that this worked as long as it did is another notch on the "humanity fails" board.

On second thought, he's in SoCal, and I don't *insert derogatory comment about tanned, ugg-boot-wearing SoCal girls*.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
So he created fake error messages that said there was a problem with an internal sensor and the only way to solve this was to put the computer "near hot steam for several minutes." Supposedly the steam would clean the sensor.
Wow.....just wow. Obviously there's no excusing what this man did, but that's pretty stupid of his victim's to fall for that. <url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RefugeInAudacity>Refuge in Audacity anyone?

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
The guy should be locked up for life. but those victims were obviously not the most intelligent.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Simiathan said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
People getting taken advantage of for being stupid.

I blame both parties equally.
Right. Because blaming the victims of a pervert is a perfectly logical conclusion to make.

(rolls eyes)
While I get where you're coming from, I'm sure you can see that the victims were just being idiots. Seriously, exposing your computer to steam is supposed to fix it? And how does that translate to "Shower with the curtain open?"

Doesn't excuse the guy in the slightest though. The fact that he even thought this up and expected it to work speaks volumes.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
GestaltEsper said:
Simiathan said:
ThatDaveDude1 said:
People getting taken advantage of for being stupid.

I blame both parties equally.
Right. Because blaming the victims of a pervert is a perfectly logical conclusion to make.

(rolls eyes)
While I get where you're coming from, I'm sure you can see that the victims were just being idiots. Seriously, exposing your computer to steam is supposed to fix it? And how does that translate to "Shower with the curtain open?"

Doesn't excuse the guy in the slightest though. The fact that he even thought this up and expected it to work speaks volumes.
The fact that it did work speaks at even louder volumes.

As you said, the thought process behind the whole scheme was...I really can't think of a word for it.

But some women actually went 'HM. WELL. I was planning on taking a shower anyway! So obviously I should open the laptop so that the webcam is facing directly toward me! That should totally help the steam fix my computer!'

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
I'm amazed that enough people fell for it long enough for him to accumulate thousands of images. Glad someone eventually had the presence of mind to question his fake error messages. Depraved isn't a word I use often, but I think it applies here.

Reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago where a guy repaired his neighbour's TV, but hid a camera behind the screen. He apparently kept every tape he recorded, and had months (possibly years, can't quite remember) worth of footage of her by the time he was discovered.