E3: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3: Star Wars: The Old Republic

The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly.

I honestly think I could give the Star Wars: The Old Republic demo myself by now. I've seen the game so many times that I can recite the litany of the four pillars in my sleep. I know by heart the beats in the rehearsed claim that this game is Knights of the Old Republic 3...and 4, 5, 6, 7, etc... Story and choice? I know all about it. Fully voiced? Yep, been there and done that. In the end, as much as I'm looking forward to the game, which is a lot, I tend to spend the first ten minutes of each demo waiting to hear some concrete details that prove the game will live up to the claims.

[video=3526]

Thankfully, the second half of these demos usually contains a few new bits of information. This time around we finally got some information on the multiplayer dialogue system and the high level raids, which in The Old Republic are called Operations. Along the way, we also got our first look at Alderaan and had a chance to drive the new player vehicles through the Jundland Wastes. At our level, they're not quite like Landspeeders or Speeder Bikes. These are more like intergalactic Rascals or Segways. Still, it's nice to run over Sandpeople.

The mission in the demo takes place in Castle Panteer on the world of Alderaan. As the last of a massive ten-part story arc on the planet, this showdown between the player and the rebellious nobleman Bouris Ulgo, who has seized control of the Castle, is the culmination of hours and hours of play. The party moving in to take him down includes a Jedi Counselor who selected the healing Sage advance class, a gunslinging Smuggler, a Jedi Knight who took the tank-focused Guardian specialization, and a Trooper who has been promoted to the rank of Commando.

The Force powers and cover system and suppression mechanics featured are nothing new, but they do highlight the cinematic, cooperative nature of combat. What really struck my eye was the new multiplayer conversation model. This has been a big unknown in the game, and one that BioWare has struggled to solve. To try to make every player part of the action, each player makes his or her own decision about what should be said during a conversation and a random die roll determines which player's option is actually spoken.

To help prevent players from manipulating each other's Light or Dark Side status, you'll earn Light or Dark Side points based on what you chose to say, even if the player chosen to speak picks a different response. If, for instance, you chose to spare an opponent's life but the party spokesperson at that moment chooses to kill him, you'll still get the Light Side points for wanting to do the right thing.

It'll take multiple groups to take on the game's raids, which are called Operations. These end-game challenges require loads and loads of skilled, powerful players. We saw a bit of one called The Eternity Vault, where players are tasked with protecting the contents of a massive fortress where particularly dangerous enemies and technologies are kept. The in-game movies showed fights against massive walking war machines, races across narrow bridges floating above pits of energy, and an encounter with what must surely be one of the toughest enemies held in the prison. Of course, just before things got good, the demo was over.

I suppose one of the problems is that the things BioWare is promising are hard to demo. If it truly does matter in the long run what your character does or doesn't do, you can't make that apparent with a lot of awkward transitions and some smoke and mirrors. BioWare hinted that a beta might not be far off, so we're hoping we have a chance soon to see if the game lives us to the substantial promises that have been made.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011 ]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait promising a beta? I thought they were already in the beat stage? I'm pretty sure this game will be released in the next couple of months, too.

Not too sure where the article is getting off claiming that the dialog system has not been explained before. I knew this much a couple months back, just by keeping an eye on the official site (which updates every Friday with new information and more often when there's an event like E3 or PAX).

Still, the news of the "speeder bikes" and Operations is new. Or rather the names are. The fact that they were in the game was confirmed a long time ago.

But I'm excited for this game, and have been scouring the forums for all the confirmed information I could. Most of it links to sites like Darth Hater, though. So admittedly, I'm not one of the people that is in the dark about the game.

By the way, there is also a good 11 minute video of gameplay on the site as well. I won't say that it will convince people that this isn't just a WoW clone, but it will at least show some actual gameplay rather than simple trailers. Also, look for the Taral V walk-through as well.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Saltyk said:
By the way, there is also a good 11 minute video of gameplay on the site as well. I won't say that it will convince people that this isn't just a WoW clone, but it will at least show some actual gameplay rather than simple trailers. Also, look for the Taral V walk-through as well.
I had a chance to play the Tatooine content at E3. I played twice, so a total of about 40 minutes of gameplay. Personally, I wouldn't call it a "WoW clone," but I have a narrow definition of "clone." For me a game like Rift is much much closer to being a clone than TOR is.

I played the Sniper (Imperial Agent) for one session and then the Assassin (Sith Inquisitor) for the other. Naturally they played very differently, but I also took on different content. With the Sniper, I got a taste of soloing and using the cover mechanic. I played through the suggested quest line and watched the conversations. To me, conversations are leagues ahead of the standard quest text window that most other MMOs have used (I also played Tera at E3, which unfortunately used that same old style of questing). The combat for the Sniper was very much focused on preparation like setting up a position and lazing a target before sniping. I can't think of any WoW class that played quite like that.

The Assassin was a whole different challenge. On that session, I played in a group and took on one of the elite questing zones. I realize that we were all new to the classes, but these enemies were HARD. I died a lot and sometimes even incapacitating a target beforehand wasn't quite enough. I can tell these missions will take a lot of coordination. The Assassin was all about stealth and backstabs, so its closest WoW comparison is a Rogue, but I also had other force abilities like a whirlwind that snared a target briefly. My companion, Kehm Val, seemed to be a tank so he helped facilitate the backstabbing by drawing fire.

Cons:
I think they're overselling the dynamism of the combat. I only got a small taste and I'm inexperienced with the game, but even though it was fun, it's pretty much the combat you'd expect from an MMO. This is more of a half-con because it was still fun, it's just traditional.

Companion pathing is still a little weird. I think Scorpio (Agent companion) was facing the wrong way while firing sometimes, along with some weirdness with how they follow. I expect improvement by launch, but it's something I noticed.

Still some jagged shadow edges. Could use some occlusion shadows under characters when in caves and such.

Pros:
Overall a lot of fun and quite challenging. Be prepared to die if you go in recklessly (or forget your companion). A lot better than the cakewalk that is WoW leveling.

Conversations help flesh out the quests, but are skippable if you're in a hurry for some reason (I skipped them on my second playthrough).

Environments are gorgeous. UI is solid and very appealing.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
rsvp42 said:
Saltyk said:
I had a chance to play the Tatooine content at E3. I played twice, so a total of about 40 minutes of gameplay. Personally, I wouldn't call it a "WoW clone," but I have a narrow definition of "clone." For me a game like Rift is much much closer to being a clone than TOR is.

I played the Sniper (Imperial Agent) for one session and then the Assassin (Sith Inquisitor) for the other. Naturally they played very differently, but I also took on different content. With the Sniper, I got a taste of soloing and using the cover mechanic. I played through the suggested quest line and watched the conversations. To me, conversations are leagues ahead of the standard quest text window that most other MMOs have used (I also played Tera at E3, which unfortunately used that same old style of questing). The combat for the Sniper was very much focused on preparation like setting up a position and lazing a target before sniping. I can't think of any WoW class that played quite like that.

The Assassin was a whole different challenge. On that session, I played in a group and took on one of the elite questing zones. I realize that we were all new to the classes, but these enemies were HARD. I died a lot and sometimes even incapacitating a target beforehand wasn't quite enough. I can tell these missions will take a lot of coordination. The Assassin was all about stealth and backstabs, so its closest WoW comparison is a Rogue, but I also had other force abilities like a whirlwind that snared a target briefly. My companion, Kehm Val, seemed to be a tank so he helped facilitate the backstabbing by drawing fire.

Cons:
I think they're overselling the dynamism of the combat. I only got a small taste and I'm inexperienced with the game, but even though it was fun, it's pretty much the combat you'd expect from an MMO. This is more of a half-con because it was still fun, it's just traditional.

Companion pathing is still a little weird. I think Scorpio (Agent companion) was facing the wrong way while firing sometimes, along with some weirdness with how they follow. I expect improvement by launch, but it's something I noticed.

Still some jagged shadow edges. Could use some occlusion shadows under characters when in caves and such.

Pros:
Overall a lot of fun and quite challenging. Be prepared to die if you go in recklessly (or forget your companion). A lot better than the cakewalk that is WoW leveling.

Conversations help flesh out the quests, but are skippable if you're in a hurry for some reason (I skipped them on my second playthrough).

Environments are gorgeous. UI is solid and very appealing.
Ahhh so the conversations are skippable? Honestly I was kind of worried about that on later playthroughs through content on a different toon. Just seemed like something that could get... boring. But how does that play out? You're suppose to make decisions in the course of a scene. So how do you do that AND skip a scene?

On the other hand, having the scenes just seems like it would make questing more interesting. I'm currently playing WoW and I do ignore the dialog boxes 90% of the time. Usually the summary in the corner (kill X wolves) and the map tells you everything you need to know. When it doesn't you can just skim the quest log. In the most extreme cases, there's always Google.

I've been watching the game play that has been available and your experience sounds about like what I expected to be honest. I wasn't worried about the combat being like WoW. Honestly WoW combat is smooth so as long as it was smooth like WoW but somewhat different, I'd be happy. And from what I've seen, it looks like I'll be happy. I just wanna get my Sith Juggernaut and Bounty Hunter Mercenary action on. Though the Sniper seems cool, too.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Saltyk said:
Ahhh so the conversations are skippable? Honestly I was kind of worried about that on later playthroughs through content on a different toon. Just seemed like something that could get... boring. But how does that play out? You're suppose to make decisions in the course of a scene. So how do you do that AND skip a scene?

On the other hand, having the scenes just seems like it would make questing more interesting. I'm currently playing WoW and I do ignore the dialog boxes 90% of the time. Usually the summary in the corner (kill X wolves) and the map tells you everything you need to know. When it doesn't you can just skim the quest log. In the most extreme cases, there's always Google.
It's like Mass Effect, pressing the space bar skips the current line of dialogue the VO is speaking. So if you can read the subtitles faster then you want to listen to the dialogue you can. You can't skip the point where the game needs you to make a choice in the conversation

The impression I get from some of WoW's quests is, at times, it's a test by the writers to see if anyone is actually paying attention to the fluff text. So you sometimes end up with "Mama Celeste's Dirt and Coyote Pie"-quests, or every quest in Champions Online.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Why's it being narrated by Teryn Loghain? Ah well, Simon Templeman is a pretty good voice actor.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
So a friend of mine went to GameStop ans asked out of curiosity if he could pre-order TOR...
He could! They said it comes out on October 4th. Not sure if they are bullshitting him or it's an internal mistake. Interesting though.

Back on topic though: Raids are going to be interesting if there is dialog involved. Could you imagine that speech roll?

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Tentickles said:
So a friend of mine went to GameStop ans asked out of curiosity if he could pre-order TOR...
He could! They said it comes out on October 4th. Not sure if they are bullshitting him or it's an internal mistake. Interesting though.

Back on topic though: Raids are going to be interesting if there is dialog involved. Could you imagine that speech roll?
The usual warning is that all dates are speculation until it's officially announced. There's a rumor that November is the actual date because Razer is releasing some peripherals near the game's launch date and later mentioned November:
http://www.torocast.com/index.php/news/swtor-news/item/563-a-hint-at-the-swtor-release-date

As for story in raids the lead writer said, "no you will not be having raid-group sized multiplayer conversations. That would be terrible, terrible terrible." (http://darthhater.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-team-interview-with-daniel-erickson/page/1). I think he said that the story and context for raids would be mostly at the beginning and end, not in the middle.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
If you pause just right at 1:32 you can see what the prisoner is, atleast the species here is a link, I think you will be intrigued.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rakata

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
rsvp42 said:
Tentickles said:

The usual warning is that all dates are speculation until it's officially announced. There's a rumor that November is the actual date because Razer is releasing some peripherals near the game's launch date and later mentioned November:
http://www.torocast.com/index.php/news/swtor-news/item/563-a-hint-at-the-swtor-release-date

As for story in raids the lead writer said, "no you will not be having raid-group sized multiplayer conversations. That would be terrible, terrible terrible." (http://darthhater.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-team-interview-with-daniel-erickson/page/1). I think he said that the story and context for raids would be mostly at the beginning and end, not in the middle.
Alrighty. Would be funny though if they did do it... extra DKP for the dude who gets the cutscene!!!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually, on the official forums for ORO there are people talking about how at E3 the reps for ORO implied that there wouldn't be an open beta. Apparently they feel there is already enough hype for the game, and with 1.5 million people signed up it's not surprising, since it would be quite the undertaking with those numbers.

Not to mention the rather unsubtle point that has been being made about how Beta Testers are generally not respected anymore, even in the earlier phases. Something I can generally attest to having watched bugs and issues known months before release sometimes last until months after launch. Beta testing is generally viewed as being a sort of free-preview nowadays, and has even been being used that way in pre-order promotions and such. It's not surprising that for a big launch like this EA might decide to take a "why bother" approach, figuring that it will mean more people will pay just to try the product. This isn't to say that the product is bad, just that with the current attitudes this makes a certain degree of financial sense, especially seeing as people have shown they will pay to make a leap of faith. They could very welkl be trying to spearheard a new trend for MMOs.

Now, I can't say this is absolutly right, just that it's something I've read on the forums, and I have never seen anyone working for EA/Bioware contridict the statement. That in of itself is interesting, since it wouldn't exactly be any kind of reveal to have said "this isn't true, we do plan to have an open beta".

Basically, the testers they have now might very well be the testers they plan to stick with until launch.

While it's pure conjecture as opposed to the above which seems to be based on some comments that were made at this point (making it more of a reliable rumor based on hearsay and indirect evidence) it seems that there are some suspicians that EA/Bioware is cribbing from Activision/Blizzard's playbook and is aiming for a pretty quick release... within a couple of weeks of the annoucement.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
You know, I've been looking for an MMO to complement WoW and I've went through a lot of mediocre content. Though, to be honest, it may just be my enjoyment of WC3 and a pre-determined affection for the world combined with the several years balancing that put games up to the filter against WoW but none of them have even been as remotely entertaining, to me. Of course, I believe, wholeheartedly, that it's the medieval settings and style that keep them from qualifying, as it's more of the same.

SWTOR, though, is probably going to do the job. I can't wait to try out the Imperial Agent.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
In the gameplay videos I've seen so far, it just looks like WoW in space. It actually looks pretty dull. I hoped it would be so much more than that. I guess the only MMOs that are still on my radar now are The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 and Salem.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
There's been years of teasers, peeks, release delays, E3's, new teasers, new peeks, footage, comics etc... I just can't bring myself to follow anymore, they've been trying to maintain hype for 4 years now and it's starting to wear thin.

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
Saltyk said:
also check this out, its a dev playing and answering questions and all at the E3 demo, 42 minutes I believe
http://corellianrun.com/2011/06/07/daniel-ericksons-presentation/

Jul 27, 2009
ryai458 said:
If you pause just right at 1:32 you can see what the prisoner is, atleast the species here is a link, I think you will be intrigued.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rakata
I assume the same Rakata from the hidden planet in KOTOR before you attack the Star Forge? Ancient civilization and stuff, would be great if TOR fleshed their backstory out a bit more.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
i just have to laugh at the random dialogue wheel; totally sounds like the ultimate blending of story and choice into an MMO doesnt it?