Australia Bans Dead or Alive: Dimensions After All

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Australia Bans Dead or Alive: Dimensions After All

Dead or Alive: Dimensions' "PG" rating in Australia has been revoked.

When Dead or Alive: Dimensions was been banned in Sweden [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110509-Dead-or-Alive-on-3DS-Gets-PG-Rating-in-Australia] over concerns that the free-camera mode could allow gamers to look up the skirts of the title's buxom (and underage) girls - and Australia had some of the most notorious games censorship guidelines in the world.

Well, be amazed no longer, because that classification has been revoked [http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/find.nsf/5b6ebdff7f5b9a24ca2575ca00062226/041910cf6ad468f9ca2578310057fa68?OpenDocument]. As of today, Dead or Alive: Dimensions cannot be sold in Australia, and copies of the 3DS fighter have been pulled from store shelves.

According to GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6318966/dead-or-alive-dimensions-aussie-rating-revoked], the Aussie classification board says that the original classification was based off of incomplete information supplied by THQ, which usually distributes Tecmo's games in Australia. "Information provided to the Board last week suggested that the game contained content not drawn to the Board's attention in the original classification application," said a spokesperson for the group.

Presumably, the information in question is that some of the girls in the game are under the age of 18 - though Nintendo Australia, who has taken over distribution of the title from THQ, says that the game does not include information about the characters' ages at all.

"When Nintendo Australia agreed to distribute the Dead or Alive: Dimensions game in Australia, it had already been submitted for classification by another video game company," a Nintendo AU representative told GameSpot. Nintendo also intends to submit the game for re-classification in the hopes of getting the title another rating that would allow it to be sold in the country. May I suggest simply going into the data files and changing that "17" to "18"? It'd do you a world of good, fellas.

Though Australia's Federal Minister of Home Affairs Brendan O'Connor supports introducing an 18+ rating [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6299917.html] to the classification board, his office issued a statement in support of Dead or Alive's nixing. "The material in this game is clearly not appropriate to be played by children," read the statement. "I am pleased the Classification Board took swift action to address community concerns."

I dunno. I think if Brendan O'Connor and the rest of the Aussie classification board are concerned about panty-shots, they should forbid Australians from ever visiting Japan. Their heads might explode the moment they got off the plane.

(GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6318966/dead-or-alive-dimensions-aussie-rating-revoked])

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
John Funk said:
I dunno. I think if Brendan O'Connor and the rest of the Aussie classification board are concerned about panty-shots, they should forbid Australians from ever visiting Japan. Their heads might explode the moment they got off the plane.
If such a fate is appropriate for those who create such a ludicrous game rating system, then I will help pay for their ticket myself.

It would at least open their minds a little.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm starting to think Australia's policy of banning games is a conspiracy by the Australian Tourism Bureau.
Think about it, they ban games so people can't play them. If they can't play games then they have to go outside and go to one of Australia's fine beaches or partake in other delights native to that paradise on Earth.
Then secret bureau agents take snapshots of all the people on the beaches and puts them in a travel brochure all to ensure that Australia has a constant stream of tourists.
WHO ARE THEN GROUND UP INTO VEGEMITE
VEGEMITE IS PEOPLE, VEGEMITE IS PEOPLE!!!

It's all so obvious now, and it's a better explanation than the classification board being staffed entirely with people who are determined to be buzzkills.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Z of the Na said:
John Funk said:
If such a fate is appropriate for those who create such a ludicrous game rating system, then I will help pay for their ticket myself.

It would at least open their minds a little.
OHHH! BURN!

I salute you to the highest degree, my good sir.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
John Funk said:
Though Australia's Federal Minister of Home Affairs Brendan O'Connor supports introducing an 18+ rating [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6299917.html] to the classification board, his office issued a statement in support of Dead or Alive's nixing. "The material in this game is clearly not appropriate to be played by children," read the statement. "I am pleased the Classification Board took swift action to address community concerns."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6299917.html

So wait, you're telling me that there currently is no adult rating for video games in Austrailia? It's either a game is safe for or caters to children or it can GTFO? I don't mean to simplify matters here, but that seems astonishingly behind the times. I wish Mr O'Conner and other supporters of creating the classification luck.

RatRace123 said:
Then secret bureau agents take snapshots of all the people on the beaches and puts them in a travel brochure all to ensure that Australia has a constant stream of tourists.
I loved the evolution here. Then again, I post things like number 25 in this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.283150-Poll-Fooly-Cooly-Vs-Kissxsis#11121186 Kudos to you, good sir.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Man... Australia must really hate games geared towards older players.

Though I do fault this partly on the developers, Team Ninja. I used to be a strong follower of the DoA franchise (until 4 hit, now everything sucks), and not once were Ayane and Kasumi's ages mentioned in-game. It's not until you pull up one of the authentic Japanese player guides (or the image books; they're kinda like artbooks) that the character's ages are revealed, them being 16 and 17 respectively.

I can understand being up in arms about it to a degree, and the developers themselves are partly to blame, but I'd be more concerned about getting kicked through the jaw trying to get that random panty shot than whether or not some kid might see the girls' panties... while kicking someone through the jaw.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I dont get why they dont just say the chars are 18, I mean they already look 18, all you need to do is change one number and boom, legal

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
RatRace123 said:
I'm starting to think Australia's policy of banning games is a conspiracy by the Australian Tourism Bureau.
Think about it, they ban games so people can't play them. If they can't play games then they have to go outside and go to one of Australia's fine beaches or partake in other delights native to that paradise on Earth.

It's all so obvious now, and it's a better explanation than the classification board being staffed entirely with people who are determined to be buzzkills.
O_O Yahtzee has been eating people?!

.....Actually, that makes sense. Nevermind.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
HankMan said:
Because as we all know, only children play video-games.
Yeah, and Bulletstorm promotes rape.(FOX)

When people say things like this,(and are listened to), I just feel like rage quitting the world.

>_< Or making the ones who say this crap others force quit.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Australia is obviously embarrassed that someone banned something they didn't, and is trying to rectify that mistake with a hasty retcon. Poor, backwards Australia. When will you learn that it is utterly impossible for you to be among the "in" crowd of nations?

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Please give me a real link that Sweden banned this game, and perhaps mention that Denmark and Norway is also not getting this game.

I do not understand why they do not just change the age on characters.. Should solve their problems (I might be wrong tho).

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
HankMan said:
Because as we all know, only children play video-games.
Hmm?

They are banning this game:
"over concerns that the free-camera mode could allow gamers to look up the skirts of the title's buxom (and underage) girls"

Not that childrens might see it.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
But, but but, how are lonely, awkward Australian preteen boys going to become men?

Ketsuban

Dec 22, 2010
Worgen said:
I dont get why they dont just say the chars are 18, I mean they already look 18, all you need to do is change one number and boom, legal
A not-insignificant portion of the audience for the game are creepy 40-something men. If the girls are legal, they're not interested.

There's a good reason I've jokingly called it "Dead or Alive: Dateline" on other forums.

bit_crusherrr

Jan 21, 2011
I got DoA for my 3DS today. None of the characters I've unlocked are under-age. Some have ages set to N/A but other than that the lowest age I've found is 19 :/