Frozen Synapse Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Frozen Synapse Review

Rainbow Six brilliantly meets X-Com in Tron.

Read Full Article

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
...Now I want to try this more than EVER.

But I just got laid off today, so I have less than no money. WHY CAN'T THERE BE A FREE DEMO SO THAT I CAN DECIDE IF THIS GAME IS WORTH NOT EATING FOR TWO DAYS? *cries in the corner*

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I've been following it's reviews at RPS and Totalbiscuit, and this review seals the deal.

Tegid Teles

Apr 15, 2009
Agreed. Been having lots of fun playing this game since it came out. Be sure to read their news updates and faqs for getting your friend key setup - can be a bit tricky.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Been playing the game a bit myself, though I've yet to have spent as much time with it as I'd like.

Brilliant little game, I absolutely love it. Intuitive to control and yet also incredibly deep. I've absolutely no doubt this is one of those games that's going to gather a strong following that will continue to support it for many years to come. I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if there are even a few appearances in tournaments and the like, as it's perfectly suited to competitive play.

Damned good game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This game is completely mind blowingly brilliant. I got this day one with the buy one get a copy free for friend sale. It took me like two days to beat that first level, but now I do pretty well. Though I regularly get trounced in multiplayer. I'll get it eventually, but this game is a true challenge, and I love every second of it.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
This is an excellent game, been playing since beta and have loved every second of it. Follow this review, people. You should buy it.

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
unless i missed it i believe you forgot about the kick-ass soundtrack as well

so awesome =D

Tycho 333

Nov 21, 2009
Good review. I personally think this games is amazing and i am surprised that no one has done any thing like this befor.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Tycho 333 said:
Good review. I personally think this game is amazing and I am surprised that no one has done anything like this before.
Because games that require less brain utilization sell better. It's all in the numbers, sadly.
This game is 21st Century Chess as it employs the exact same dynamic, only including ranged attacks as well. I await when you are able to play with multiple floors in a scenario. Unless that also is featured in the game?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
so, i know it's kinda a long shot, and quite possibly in poor taste, but if anyone's got an extra free copy, i'd be forever grateful.

if it's any compensation (it's not) i'd be willing to trade my free copy of red faction battlegrounds for the 360

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Looks fun. And nice review, too.
I'll try it out some day, most likely in the future. But still, I'll be looking forward to it.

Jimber_Jam

Sep 14, 2010
Saw this one on Steam a while back, and while gameplay sounds appealing, the visual aesthetic is a complete turn-off.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Slycne said:
You just HAD to put that video in there, didn't you?

The_root_of_all_evil said:
But why does everyone pick on Baby Tea?
That's a fantastic question!
I notice you guys aren't putting up the videos of the ones where I WON!
Though admittedly that didn't happen as often...

Whatever.

Good review, at least! It's fantastic game!

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
...Now I want to try this more than EVER.

But I just got laid off today, so I have less than no money. WHY CAN'T THERE BE A FREE DEMO SO THAT I CAN DECIDE IF THIS GAME IS WORTH NOT EATING FOR TWO DAYS? *cries in the corner*
IMO give it a miss, its alright but its really thin, pretty much what you see in the screenshots, in any one screenshot for that matter is all you get. A simple square level, with generic troops of which there are like 4 types, engaging in simplistic turn based combat for x number of turns. There is no management, no leveling up, no continuation.... Basically there is no demo because there is no way to demo it without practically giving the player the whole game (minus story).

Its like chess except you have tron look-alike soldiers instead of pieces and the turns are simultaneous.

I dont like it much and i'm a big tactical fan, x-com is one of my favourite games of all time.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Baresark said:
This game is completely mind blowingly brilliant. I got this day one with the buy one get a copy free for friend sale. It took me like two days to beat that first level, but now I do pretty well. Though I regularly get trounced in multiplayer. I'll get it eventually, but this game is a true challenge, and I love every second of it.
...You wouldn't happen to still have that free copy, would you?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Baresark said:
...You wouldn't happen to still have that free copy, would you?
Haha, believe it or not, I held onto that thing for like two and a half weeks. But I finally found someone to give it to, sorry. If I had it, I would totally give it to you though. It's like a good book, you want as many people to read it as possible.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ZeoAssassin said:
unless i missed it i believe you forgot about the kick-ass soundtrack as well

so awesome =D
Another fine point I forgot all about. Between this and the SpaceChem soundtrack, it's been a great year for indie game soundtracks.