Rumor: Boy Wonder Could Be Playable in Arkham City

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Boy Wonder Could Be Playable in Arkham City

An advertising mix up might have let the cat - or the bird - out of the bag a little ahead of schedule.

As great a game as Arkham Asylum was, some Batman fans will have keenly felt the absence of a plucky sidekick. Rumors suggest that its sequel, Batman: Arkham City may remedy this gross oversight, at least for everyone who pre-orders the game from Best Buy

The rumor started when a picture of a magazine advertisement appeared online, saying that Robin, along with two challenge maps, would be the Best Buy pre-order bonus. There was plenty of room to be skeptical about the ad, until Best Buy updated its website with the same information, seemingly confirming it. It quickly changed it back - although it's still accessible via Google cache [http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8163169210952245277&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=batman+arkham+city&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960] - but that slip has given the rumor a heck of a lot more weight behind it.

This won't be the first time that Rocksteady's Batman games have given us the reins of another character besides the Dark Knight himself. Aside from the announcement that Catwoman would be playable in Arkham City as well as Batman, the original Arkham Asylum allowed PS3 players to play as the Joker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91189-Play-As-The-Joker-In-Arkham-Asylum-PS3] in exclusive challenge maps. It isn't too much of a stretch to imagine that Robin's outing as a playable character would be limited to just the two challenge maps he apparently comes with.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PS3, PC, and Xbox 360 on October 18th.

Source: Arkham City [http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2883] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306875/news/robin-playable-in-batman-arkham-city/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I actually think this could be cool. I loved AA and i think they could pull Robin off.

He was actually mentioned in one of the character bios i can't remember which one. I actually thought he would have been Nightwing to be honest, since Batgirl is now oracle.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
There have been several Robins, though, Soxa. Dick Grayson is almost certainly Nightwing, but that still leaves Jason Todd - who is probably evil and Red Hood or something like that, and Tim Drake, who is the most likely candidate for Robin.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Eh Robin seems to goofy a character to include in the Batman games gothic aesthetic, but then Im only familiar with the films and tv show versions.

And tbh Im a little worried by their constant inclusion of new playable characters- I just wanna be Batman, not any of his supporting cast.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
As long as he's not in the singleplayer, then it's fine by me. I always hated Robin, he/she just does not fit with Batman. Especially in The Dark Knight Returns, she stuck out like a sore thumb. I mean what the fuck is up with the costume?

And seeing as how the games follow a similar atmosphere; please leave Robin out of it.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Playable only as pre-order, huh? Good thing I fuckin' hate Robin then. If it's true of course.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
As long as you're not forced to play as him in the single player I'm fine with that. Can't stand Robin, such an unecessary character.

bulldogftw

Jan 4, 2011
Well I f*cking hate Robin with a violent passion so I don't think I will be pre-ordering Arkham City.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
really? OXM interview stated that there wouldn't be a sidekick in the game back in May. guess they changed their minds.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
So Best Buy updates it's site with the same information, then removes a bit?

I can't really see how that would confirm anything. Seems a flimsy source at best.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, bring in Nightwing. As long as the character is sarcastic and a little more lighthearted than Bman, it'll be fine. Uh, and get Neil Patrick Harris to do the voice.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
I'll be pretty disappointed if this is true. Not about the content, which would be awesome, but about the exclusivity of making it a pre-order bonus.

I felt this way about the Joker maps on AA - I play on a PC, and I wasn't going to go out and buy a PS3 just for some extra maps. So I missed out on what I was told was pretty entertaining.

Sigh.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
bulldogftw said:
Well I f*cking hate Robin with a violent passion so I don't think I will be pre-ordering Arkham City.
I'm in Australia, we don't have Best Buy here. I can safely pre-order it without the risk of having him show up.

Batman works better as a solo, lone vigilante. I mean sure, if the Joker has a bomb about to blow up, toss the little bird on it. It's a sidekicks job to take the hit for the big man. Or maybe its the name, Robin. Makes him sound like a flitting little bird, not a serious crime fighter.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Which Robin? There've been so many... Though the fact that Oracle was in the first one suggests that Dick Grayson would now be Nightwing, and Jason Todd dead. And I quite like Tim Drake.

Though it'd be kind of entertaining if we had Dick as Batman, and Damian Wayne as Robin. What we've seen so far with Catwoman suggests that ain't the case though.

MrFluffy-X

Jun 24, 2009
008Zulu said:
bulldogftw said:
I'm in Australia, we don't have Best Buy here. I can safely pre-order it without the risk of having him show up.

Batman works better as a solo, lone vigilante. I mean sure, if the Joker has a bomb about to blow up, toss the little bird on it. It's a sidekicks job to take the hit for the big man. Or maybe its the name, Robin. Makes him sound like a flitting little bird, not a serious crime fighter.
Everyone seems to hate robin, but I like him. He is actually a very dark character (the one that eventually becomes nightwing). I just don?t think that the films and TV shows do him justice.

I know Arkham City will do it right. He?s going to be doing mad flips and shiz, he is more agile than Batman afterall. Christopher Nolan could probably do it right as well, but he's too chicken XD

YOUM@D123

Dec 17, 2010
what's with all the hate on everyone's favorite prepubescent plucky side kick

OT: all these extra characters are getting out of hand.. i want to play batman arkham city not Lego batman

YOUM@D123

Dec 17, 2010
J03bot said:
Which Robin? There've been so many... Though the fact that Oracle was in the first one suggests that Dick Grayson would now be Nightwing, and Jason Todd dead. And I quite like Tim Drake.

Though it'd be kind of entertaining if we had Dick as Batman, and Damian Wayne as Robin. What we've seen so far with Catwoman suggests that ain't the case though.
batman arkham asylum was supposed to be a very new batman that's why hes just now meeting catwoman on this one so i'm guessing dick grayson.. but i could be wrong