MIT Teaching Robot How to Make Cookies

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
MIT Teaching Robot How to Make Cookies

Researchers are helping usher in the era of robot maids and mechanoid butlers.

However bad you might be at baking, you can take heart that the PR2 robot finds it a heck of a lot more tricky that you will. Researchers at MIT are going through the painstaking process of teaching the robot to make chocolate chip cookies, and that involves a surprising amount of work.

While a human cook has relatively little trouble mixing the ingredients and mixing them into cookie dough, PR2 has to be taught step-by-step. First, the robot scans the table to locate the cookie sheet at the butter, and then it identifies all the ingredients. The researchers placed the ingredients in different colored bowls so that the robot could tell them apart. The robot then adds the ingredients to a mixing bowl, and begins to mix them all together. At least, that's the plan; the robot is currently working with dry beans, as it hasn't quite mastered mixing yet and so makes a lot of mess.

It's taken a lot of effort to get the robot to the level it's at now, and it's still a work in progress. Graduate student Mario Bellini has spent months working on the initial stages, and another grad student, Jenny Barry, is working with a team of undergraduates on getting the robot to do things like open the oven door and wipe down the counter when it's finished.

Teaching a robot to bake might seem like a slightly frivolous thing to do, but it does neatly illustrate how hard it is to get a robot to follow a complex set of instructions. This is the kind of work that has to be done if we ever want to see Star Wars style droids and baking is no better or worse than any other task. Also, who wouldn't want to try a potentially delicious robot-made cookie?

Source: MIT [http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/cookies-anyone.html] via Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2011/06/cookie-making-r.php]

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Just you watch. It's only a matter of time before they start deviating from the recipe...

I Ness I

Nov 18, 2009
I don't know why, but seeing the robot simply throw the bowls to the floor when it was done with them makes me giggle.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
What!
http://www.itusozluk.com/img.php/fb6fff4200578cf7110c7db70cc1377626755/they+took+our+jobs

They tuuk ma Jaaab!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
*Bites into robot made cookie*

There's something... missing... I believe-- I believe it's the love.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
One step closer to having a robot housekeeper. Keep up the good work, tech nerds of the world.
One step closer to robots taking over. Unless we get the alternative and end with bender robots. The wouldn't be so bad.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Graduate student Mario Bellini has spent months working on the initial stages, and another grad student, Jenny Barry, is working with a team of undergraduates on getting the robot to do things like open the oven door and wipe down the counter when it's finished.
I can't believe somebody's dissertation is going to be titled some variety of "Robotics and Cookies."

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
ChromaticWolfen said:
ReservoirAngel said:
One step closer to having a robot housekeeper. Keep up the good work, tech nerds of the world.
One step closer to robots taking over. Unless we get the alternative and end with bender robots. The wouldn't be so bad.
I'm not worried about robots taking over. If there's one thing humanity's good at, it's trashing the shit they create.

Bearitude

May 13, 2010
They will just be quietly working at the Soylent Green Factory preparing new taste sensations.