Crytek Bringing CryEngine to Wii U

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Crytek Bringing CryEngine to Wii U

Nintendo may finally have earned the support of Crytek's beautiful engine.

We here at The Escapist have had some kind words [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108294-New-CryEngine-3-Trailer-Shows-How-the-Next-Generation-Could-Look] for Crytek's gorgeous CryEngine 3 in the past, but while the developer was able to bring the engine to Xbox 360 and PS3 for Crysis 2, there was no way in hell something like this could have ever run on the Wii.

Now that Nintendo is presenting a console with a little more punch in the Wii U, however, things are different. Crytek's Cevat Yerli told Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/38014/Crytek-Were-bringing-our-tech-to-Wii-U] that while his team wasn't ready to show its hand just yet, CryEngine was almost fully running on Nintendo's new hardware.

"Crytek's support for Wii U is definitely going to happen," he said. "We aren't showing it but we are pretty much running it already."

Given that many of the multiplatform games slated for the Wii U like Batman: Arkham City are running on its rival Unreal Engine 3, it's no wonder Crytek wants to get its head in this game sooner rather than later.

But can the Wii U run Crysis, hmm? PC elitists, assemble!

(Via Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/38014/Crytek-Were-bringing-our-tech-to-Wii-U])

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
John Funk said:
If the Xbox can run it, and the Wiiu uses similar components(As mentioned in an article of it's tech specs), pretty sure it can...kinda.

I would rather them release the Cryengine 3 sandbox and DX11 for the PC version before they start worrying about putting it on the Wii.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Guess that means the WiiU uses DirectX9 as it's API then.

No reason the WiiU couldn't run Crysis 2, it's a DirectX9 game after all, if it can't run a game based on a nearly decade old piece of software, then Mr Miyamoto needs a slap.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"But can the Wii U run Crysis, hmm? PC elitists, assemble!"
Of course it will be able to. Crysis is like 4 years old by now?

What was an unbeatable multi thousand dollar top of the line bleeding edge gaming PC just *one* year ago is barely average now... Three or four years in PC time is four generations.

And each generation just costs a fraction of the previous one. I remember spending all my money on a ? 610 3D card (ATI 9700 PRO in 2004?). Now I got a much, much better one for ? 120...

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
While the crappy 720p quality makes it look worse than it is, i'm not really blown away. At least compared to something else I saw in 1080p, can't remember the name but it was a similar tech demo in a forest >.>

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
If the Xbox 360 can run Crysis, then the Wii should be able to as well. No need to ask PC gamers... yet.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Of course it can run it. The 360 and the PS3 can and the Wii has hardware equal to or surpassing those. You can think it can't run it, for in that way lies MADNESS!!!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
yundex said:
While the crappy 720p quality makes it look worse than it is, i'm not really blown away. At least compared to something else I saw in 1080p, can't remember the name but it was a similar tech demo in a forest >.>
Kojima's Fox engine?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
John Funk said:
Sorry, we kinda moved on, considering Crysis is 4 year old now. Consoles are too late to the party.

Not to worry, ArmA 3 is our next source of sadomasochism - a shining beacon to hardware killers.

2000 AIs on one battlefield, anyone?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
In this case, I believe the phrase "seeing is believing" would be an excellent time to use it.

Wtf is the Wiiu anyway? It sure as hell don't seem like a home console but more like a mobile device, with that in mind the specs will blow any life out of an battery in a matter of a few hours at best.

If this is true then I'm sure that corner are being cut like reducing the drawing distance (ect) by a large extent.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
John Funk said:
Sorry, we kinda moved on, considering Crysis is 4 year old now. Consoles are too late to the party.

Not to worry, ArmA 3 is our next source of sadomasochism - a shining beacon to hardware killers.

Let the trial by fire commence!

Funny story: Back when Crysis was a young game, only just released, my brother's PC actually did start smouldering when he tried to run it. The graphics card ran too hot (or something I didn't really hear through my laughter) and it just started smoking like a chimney at a funeral home.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
If the Xbox 360 can run Crysis, then the Wii should be able to as well. No need to ask PC gamers... yet.
Ummm... the XBox can run Crysis 2, not Crysis...

The sequel was basically a corridor shooter punctuated by arenas compared to the environment of the original title. No way in hell can the Xbox360 or PS3's 512MB RAM render the huge foliage-filled sandbox levels.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
yundex said:
Kojima's Fox engine?
No, I remember it was the unreal 3 engine. Although I thought the city looked better on it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ReservoirAngel said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
John Funk said:

Let the trial by fire commence!

Funny story: Back when Crysis was a young game, only just released, my brother's PC actually did start smouldering when he tried to run it. The graphics card ran too hot (or something I didn't really hear through my laughter) and it just started smoking like a chimney at a funeral home.
You think that's bad?

<youtube=i6TnEyrN55I>

This video is 2 years old, and this guy had to overclock his CPU to 4.6GHz to run ArmA 2 with 1700 AIs. He encountered 5 blue screens of death, 4 fatal errors, and about 15 system restarts as he tried to overclock his CPU to its limits (ArmA is more CPU-intensive than GPU). He had to get ice in plastic bags and cover his CPU, plus about 8 fans, just to try and keep it cool.

We salute these brave men and women - people like your brother and richiespeedisback.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
You think that's bad?

<youtube=i6TnEyrN55I>

This video is 2 years old, and this guy had to overclock his CPU to 4.6GHz to run ArmA 2 with 1700 AIs. He encountered 5 blue screens of death, 4 fatal errors, and about 15 system restarts as he tried to overclock his CPU to its limits (ArmA is more CPU-intensive than GPU). He had to get ice in plastic bags and cover his CPU, plus about 8 fans, just to try and keep it cool.
I've already been suspended once for having a pop at PC gamers so I'm being cautious here. But... surely a game isn't worth that much fucking effort? Then again I have heard people speaking about ArmA games as if it's serious, world-changing shit so maybe this stuff just gets in your head and turns you into a pseudu-military wannabe-killing machine.

I avoid obsessive PC gamers (note, only obsessive ones, not all of them. In fact, several of my best friends are PC gamers <.<) so I wouldn't know what the exact thought process was behind this dude. I assume his mind sounded something like a cackling mad scientist screaming "I need more power!!!" while thunder claps overhead, but that's just what my mind goes to

Raiyan 1.0 said:
We salute these brave men and women - people like your brother and richiespeedisback.
Please... don't encourage him.

URGENT EDIT: However, looking at that gameplay I have only one thing in mind "Holy shit... do want!"