310: Zombies Rule, Vampires Drool

Richard Dansky

Jul 8, 2010
Zombies Rule, Vampires Drool

When it comes to the great monster showdown, vampires may be popular, but zombies have the edge when it comes to scaring the pants off of us.

Read Full Article

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
You say Vampires are not scary anymore, but to be honest, are zombies scary any more either, both are as laughable as each other sometimes

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Zombies are the more entertaining.
But let's face it, that's largely because the over-popularisation of vampires in bad fiction has made them much less fun to see.

If Vampires were just as perpetualy nerdy as Zombies are, they'd still be awesome.
Vampire Counts from Warhammer, anyone?

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Vampires can still be interesting, the example I had in my head for this was Daybreakers, all right not an amazing film, but it was still pretty good, I enjoyed it all the way through. I would rather watch that, then another generic "try to survive the zombie outbreak", which seems like almost every possible zombie scenario now. Not that I'm hating on zombies, they are still pretty awesome

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'd agree with a few of the points, but disagree with the conclusion.

Zombies are easier, simpler and all the same. But that means there's only so much you can do with them, and it's all been done before.

Twilight vampires might be rubbish, but they are at least a new form of rubbish. And then you get novel versions of vampires. 40k Blood Angels were vampireish, but different enough from the norm to be interesting, at least when reasonably competently handled.

Urazel

Oct 6, 2010
Vampires have the potential to be much scarier when executed correctly.
Both more monstrous in nature and more subtle in actions.

Mind you so do Zombies, if they chose to go for the actual classical roots of Zombies rather then the virus that turns people into homocidal idiots.
I'm talking Voodoo!

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
What ever happened to mummies? Proper bandaged, shambling ones, not all this "The Mummy" except it's just a dude with some creepy powers.

Rather marginalized, true, plus the setting is a little restrictive, but they do take some of the better aspects of the living dead.

Plus, you know, curses.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I've never been really scared of zombie movies. I think Shawn of the Dead sums up how I look at them.

Vampires are much scarier. The idea of them interacting with society, knowing that they can, and often do, go on a killing spree now and then is scary, as it makes them unpredictable. While you do have your Angel and Blade type of vampires, most vampires are still looking out for Number One, or their species first, and humans second. A quick look at the characters from Anne Rice's novels, the Sookie Stackhouse books, and the other vampires in Buffy and Angel, or Blade would confirm that.

Vampires always have the ability to be ball-shrinking, pant-stainingly terrifying. Just look at the vampires from 30 Days of Night.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
Bella motherfucking Lugosi never played no dam zombie
Your arguement is invalid
Richard Dansky said:
[1] My wife and I are separated by five years in age, and we have trouble when I try to explain to her the sheer awesomeness of Speaking In Tongues-era Talking Heads. I foresee a lot of really awkward silences for Edward and Bella.
Are you comparing the situation between yourself and your wife to Edward and Bella? If so, you have officialy taken yourself down a notch on the manly scale, and you're about 2 movies 2 late on the whole awkward silence thing.

ethanizaak

Mar 14, 2011
AssassinJoe said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space

He sure did.

{Edit: Not to mention starring in White Zombie.}

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
ethanizaak said:
AssassinJoe said:

He sure did..
The film bills Bela Lugosi posthumously as a star, although silent footage of the actor had been shot by Wood for other, unfinished projects just before Lugosi's death in 1956.
Not intentionaly he didn't!
{Edit: Not to mention starring in White Zombie}
He was the zombie MASTER in that film.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The problem with a vampire apocalypse is that it's not a particularly unpleasant prospect, we would end up in a world where we are all slightly more powerful and have an addiction to the blood of what has become lesser beings. It's not even an apocalypse, a vampire is perfectly capable and willing to maintain society.

Whereas a zombie apocalypse is complete devastation. Everyone that is you gets destroyed and the bodies of you and your loved ones aren't evenly allowed to rest as society falls

ethanizaak

Mar 14, 2011
AssassinJoe said:
ethanizaak said:
AssassinJoe said:

He sure did..
The film bills Bela Lugosi posthumously as a star, although silent footage of the actor had been shot by Wood for other, unfinished projects just before Lugosi's death in 1956.
Not intentionaly he didn't!
{Edit: Not to mention starring in White Zombie}
He was the zombie MASTER in that film.
Intent doesn't really matter. Footage of Lugosi was used for a character that was a zombie/ghoul. And yes, he was the zombie master, not a zombie in White Zombie. Regardless, I doubt there's any evidence he deliberately shied away from one particular film creature in favor of another (he played Frankenstein's monster, as well).

Furthermore, he died over a decade before Romero invented the modern zombie movie and the whole point is (or at least was) that zombies are nameless, mindless, undead masses -- not a character to be portrayed with the sort of aplomb that a trained actor such as Lugosi would deliver.

His presence in either/both coupled with his admitted training in the thespian arts still serves to invalidate your own assertion with more than comparable strength to what you claim invalidates the article above. Not that any of this really matters, for what it's worth. Monster movies are supposed to be fun and scary, sometimes vampire and zombie movies still are.

flare100

Sep 20, 2010
Both are overused to a ridiculous amount. Its hard to find something scary when they've become such a huge part of mainstream culture. A pity really.