Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Commentary on ?Baelor?

Wherein our hero loses his honor

Read Full Article

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Frey was done perfectly, perhaps even better than on the page. One of the reasons I am liking the HBO series over the books--the actors can work their magic with the lines and story already laid out.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
The worst thing about this series is that the season is almost over. However, I don't recall that Tyrion made such a poor showing during the battle in the book. Pretty sure that he rode into battle, and did pretty well considering - before he was wounded. Not sure why the hbo series has him getting knocked out by his own men...

I don't think I'm getting Tyrion's exploits mixed up with the Battle at King's Landing, but it's possible.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
itf cho said:
The worst thing about this series is that the season is almost over. However, I don't recall that Tyrion made such a poor showing in the battle in the book. Pretty sure that he rode into battle, and did pretty well considering - before he was wounded. Not sure why the hbo series has him getting knocked out by his own men...

I don't think I'm getting Tyrion's exploits mixed up with the Battle at King's Landing, but it's possible.
Tyrion did participate in that battle in the book, I belive he even took a knight prisoner (mostly luck, but what the hell). I interpreted the scene in this episode as him getting knocked out just before the battle AND getting knocked out AGAIN during the battle. That being said, when I think about it again, it does look like he simply "slept" through the whole thing.

However, this episode highlights the one glaring weakness of HBO productions: They always skip the battle scenes if at all possible. Take a look at Rome or The Tudors - the always cut off before a battle, at most we might see a few blurred images of it, and then it cuts back in to the battlefield strewn with corpses. They skipped two battles in this episode, the one where Tywin massacres the northeners and the one where Jaime gets captured.

This makes me slightly concerned for the second season, since a good chunk of it is all about the battles and the climax of the book is the big freaking battle for King's Landing which can't really be skipped without gutting the book...

Thesreyn

Jul 18, 2008
Battles are expensive. GoT has a budget of something like 60-80 million for 10 episodes. LotR had several hundred million for a couple of hours.

I was annoyed that the battles got cut out too, as well as the re-arranging of the storyline in order to create a cliff hanger/shocking ending but I can forgive them for both. The former because budget constraints are always a problem (and hopefully season 2 will have a much better budget), the second because it made better television for those who are yet to read the books.

I must say though, the scene with Tyrion, Bronn, Shae, the drinking game and Tyrion's story is much better than the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Jandau said:
However, this episode highlights the one glaring weakness of HBO productions: They always skip the battle scenes if at all possible. Take a look at Rome or The Tudors - the always cut off before a battle, at most we might see a few blurred images of it, and then it cuts back in to the battlefield strewn with corpses. They skipped two battles in this episode, the one where Tywin massacres the northeners and the one where Jaime gets captured.
Well, to be fair, even the books gloss over the battles. Tywin's battles to which you refer are only mentioned after the fact, and even the Whispering Wood is only given a couple pages, and that from Catelyn's perspective. Really, this isn't a hack-n-slash fantasy series ala R.A. Salvatore (i'd actually debate calling it fantasy at all, but that's just me...). It's far more about characters and intrigue.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Sober Thal said:
-'Wherein our hero loses his honor'-

Blah... if anything, Ned lost it when he lied after coming back from Tower of Joy : P

Both times he lies for love tho, so to hell with honor.

EDIT: Even if he didn't lie then, (a lot of people will disagree) fathering a bastard child is sooo honorable, eh? Yeah, no.
There are actually a lot of theories about that (read: 3), the most convincing of which isn't what you think. Summarised best here, if you don't mind spoilers:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

OT: Damn. That scene...it cut deep, man, that was a tear-jerker!

Also I agree with the chappie up there, if they skip the climactic battle of CoK, I will be really, really disappoint HBO.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Jandau said:
Tyrion did participate in that battle in the book, I belive he even took a knight prisoner (mostly luck, but what the hell). I interpreted the scene in this episode as him getting knocked out just before the battle AND getting knocked out AGAIN during the battle. That being said, when I think about it again, it does look like he simply "slept" through the whole thing.

This makes me slightly concerned for the second season, since a good chunk of it is all about the battles and the climax of the book is the big freaking battle for King's Landing which can't really be skipped without gutting the book...
Thanks - I remember that scene better now. I never noticed how HBO was gutting battle scenes before, but you're absolutely correct. I guess we'll have to wait a year to see how they manage to pull of the second season. But I don't see any real way for them to cut out all the fighting at King's Landing.

Arya was my favorite character in the books (which I stopped reading after the third because GRRM couldn't be bothered to write them in a reasonable timeframe); but Tyrion has been my favorite character in the HBO production. So it's disappointing when they cut his scenes.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Sober Thal said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
Sober Thal said:
-'Wherein our hero loses his honor'-

Blah... if anything, Ned lost it when he lied after coming back from Tower of Joy : P

Both times he lies for love tho, so to hell with honor.

EDIT: Even if he didn't lie then, (a lot of people will disagree) fathering a bastard child is sooo honorable, eh? Yeah, no.
There are actually a lot of theories about that (read: 3), the most convincing of which isn't what you think. Summarised best here, if you don't mind spoilers:

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

OT: Damn. That scene...it cut deep, man, that was a tear-jerker!

Also I agree with the chappie up there, if they skip the climactic battle of CoK, I will be really, really disappoint HBO.
That's exactly what I think, choice III.
In which case,
Ned Stark didn't father a bastard, and so has honour to lose in this episode!

I think 3 too, I feel like a fool for not having picked up on it sooner!

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Sober Thal said:
Thesreyn said:
Battles are expensive. GoT has a budget of something like 60-80 million for 10 episodes. LotR had several hundred million for a couple of hours.
Couple of hours? Each of those movies was over 3 hours I thought??
Should be actually about the same.

Counting deleted scenes/extended scenes as well as the Extended Editions of LOTR, both GOT and LotR should come in at about 10 hours, give or take.

That said, it's still a difference between in terms of budget. You can do just so much more with 285 Million Dollars (estimated) than with less than one hundred million dollars.
Also, one can guess that the timeframe in wich GOT was created is much smaller.

On Topic:

Did i overread that, or was there no mention about the Blind Maester at the Wall revealing that he is a Targaryan (sp?) and taught Jon Snow from his own experience of how he has to decide between duty/honor and love?
I mean, how great was that?
Especially since it looks like Snow will choose Honor, as the Maester did, and only Ned, unlikliest of all, chooses love.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Sober Thal said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
In which case,

You don't think telling that lie looses honor?
Well, I think that
Honouring his promise to his dead sister is pretty honourable...but then again...

Perhaps think it's not such a clear-cut issue. It's shades of grey, really - I'd say that of the two options,
Letting his sister's son get killed by Robert, or giving him a home and claiming him, despite his stern principles
is probably the better moral choice

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Sober Thal said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
Sober Thal said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
In which case,

You don't think telling that lie looses honor?
Well, I think that
Honouring his promise to his dead sister is pretty honourable...but then again...

Perhaps think it's not such a clear-cut issue. It's shades of grey, really - I'd say that of the two options,
Letting his sister's son get killed by Robert, or giving him a home and claiming him, despite his stern principles
is probably the better moral choice
With out a doubt the better choice both times I say.

Both times he lied to save a child.

I say Ned's Honor is fine.
Huzzah for Ned!

That is until now. It's all the worse that he dishonoured himself at the end, he couldn't even save Westeros from warfare in doing it. Damn it Boromir!

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
There is a special place in Hell for people like Joeffery.
I'm going to so enjoy watching him get what's coming to him.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i was wondering if it was deffinatly Ned who got killed since in the book and the tv they make a point of not showing him accepting but that got cut off when he recognised yoren and arya. Bit strange that tyrion got kncoked out at the beginning of the battle considering he kills several people and captures a knight in the book the seige of kings landing is going to come abit out of left feild now

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
And when I was reading Game of Thrones back in the days, the death of Ned was spoiled (by accident) for me by my dear friend :D